The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    In Rugby anyone can take a kick for the posts but its usually the fly-half, I imagine the fly-half might do quite well in the NFL and the visa versa the 'kicker'.

2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The NBA holds regular season games in other countries, as does MLB and the NHL. The Gallagher Premiership has held regular season games in the States too.

HailtotheKing, JasonMa and Chesco United repped this.
  3. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Kickers are usually little former soccer/futbol players, though Polish-born Sebastian Janikowski might have done well.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  4. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I would have thought a fly-half would make more sense, I'm guessing kickers don't 'just' kick off and kick at the posts!

5. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    (R) Glad that MLS expats Jesse Marsch and Jack Harrison helped Leeds United stay up in the Premier League. They were in the drop zone under Bielsa, correct?

6. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a British Football league and it was founded in the mid 80s ... The BritBowl has been played since 1985

The whole thing was revamped in 2010 and there's currently 70 teams total.

Chesco United repped this.
  7. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    70! Wow that is a lot.

8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The German Football League (American Football) has 16 teams and has been around since 1979.....and also has a second division as well.

There's also the European League of Football, which has 12 teams. Most of these teams look to be continuations of the old NFL Europe teams.

https://europeanleague.football/

There's leagues in Finland, Austria and Sweden too.

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/the-top-four-american-football-leagues-in-europe/

Gridiron Australia currently has 70 teams in 7 states.

https://totalpackers.com/2020/06/countries-american-football-league/

9. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So there is a London team called the Jaguars?

10. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think you can really equate the existence of amateur teams with a huge desire for the game.

After all, the USA has 51 cricket league (leagues, not teams) and nobody would claim cricket is a popular sport there
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_of_America_Cricket_Association

There definitely are fans of American Football though in the UK. The idea that the NFL games at Wembley/Tottenham are just watched by Americans/tourists is nonsense. The majority of the fans at the games will be English, by quite a margin. It is still a niche sport though, but there is enough interest for Sky Sports to have a dedicated NFL channel, although I don't believe its output is anything like the dedicated channels in the USA.

11. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly not, and I'm by no means stating that there's this major outpouring for the sport as a whole. I'm merely illustrating that the reach/interest/involvement of the game is much more than a certain person wants to believe is the case.

Whether it be England/Britain in particular or the world as a whole there's quite the understating of the sport of American Football. That's all.

12. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm pretty sure the Champions League disagrees with this statement. Think the prem could make an argument as well.

Basically I agree with this ...

Yep but will be interesting to see what happens next season (assuming they are allowed to stay in the prem after Burnley's lawsuit over the Ev cooking the books). They're still in deep financial doodoo and have Frank Lampard as manager. The fans rallied to help keep them up once, but will they be willing to do it for the whole season? Considering they were expecting to be challenging for top four by now. If they're this shit again next season they probably will go down, as they should.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notts County are trying to break the National League attendance record again today. Aren't playoffs great? ;)

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean it's NOT a civil rights issue?

JasonMa, HailtotheKing and Chesco United repped this.
  15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No European would ever accept playoffs as a means of determining their champion except almost every fan of almost every sport except soccer.

16. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No. The Jacksonville (FL) Jaguars have played several games in London over recent years.

17. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DING DING DING DING DING

Which is why I call a little bit of BS about it ... there's an exceptionalism placed on soccer because ... yeah, that's why. Selective application of principle sure is grand.

Chesco United and JasonMa repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their owner also owns Fulham FC.

jaykoz3 and HailtotheKing repped this.
  19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the Jaguars are based in the second smallest metro area in NFL and are owned by the owner of Fulham FC, rumors of a transatlantic relocation will continue to abound.

HailtotheKing, owian and Chesco United repped this.
  20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the big clubs could make money out of playoffs we'd see more of them. But they're heavily dependent on qualifying for the Champions League.

Sports like rugby introduced playoffs because it generated more interest, at least for half a dozen games at the end of the season, and more importantly generated a ton of revenue. Fans reluctantly bought into that.

In 2019 St Helens averaged 11,000 for the regular season but got 14,500 for their home playoff game and 64,000 got the final. For a league that's always been on a financial knife-edge it's a no-brainer.

HailtotheKing, jaykoz3 and Chesco United repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notts scored in the 73rd minute. Grimsby equalize 7 minutes into 6 minutes added time. Extra time underway. The game will be decided tonight, the winners going to Ryan Reynold's Wrexham.

22. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh well, it looks like we'll be spending another season in the National League.

AlbertCamus and Chesco United repped this.
  23. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Oh I see, now I understand the wink, they just happened to be called jaguars (as in the cat I guess) - I thought it was a name given to a London team because of the British Jaguar car! :-D
    DOH!

HailtotheKing, JasonMa and Chesco United repped this.
  24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Lions would be more appropriate.

Other major league London teams would include the Royals, the Cavaliers, the Kings, the Knights, the Fire plus, in women's sports, the Reign and of course, the Monarchs.

25. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Plus the NFL always wants an available city that owners can threaten to move their team to unless they get tax money for facilities and stadiums. It's disgusting.

Which brings up my issue, given that the NFL is extremely popular in the USA, quite popular in several other countries, and has at least scattered fans elsewhere; I still do not want our top North American soccer league to imitate it. I like play-offs, but I don't like lavish tax payer funded stadiums. I like the affordability of MLS and that the league is more attendance driven than TV driven. I like that teams are regional in their player development and that it is not all just done by draft. I like bigger divisions over the NFL's small 4 team divisions; and I like that our (MLS) divisions are regional. That's not to say their aren't a few admirable things about the NFL (TV money allocation being even is good, for example), but I don't think it's popularity compared to the EPL determines how we everything in US soccer to be.

HailtotheKing, kinznk and Chesco United repped this.