The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL you're the gift that keeps giving

AFTER asking you go and say this LMAO

Having leagues all over the world and getting sell out crowds in England for the "top flight" version certainly proves your opinion here to be pretty terribly wrong

JasonMa and Chesco United repped this.
  2. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ? Eh, wrong? The Premier League IS the most popular league on the planet, it has 3.2 billion people watching it fact. Nobody outside the US cares for Gridiron Football, despite the Americas chucking hundreds of millions of pounds over decades trying to promote it!

3. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The NFL has games in Germany and Mexico this upcoming season, as well as England.

JasonMa and HailtotheKing repped this.
  4. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What difference does that make? Nobody cares lol. The Premier League IS the most popular sports league on the planet, go look it up if you don't believe me.

5. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I guess all those fans at England NFL matches are nobodies, then.

6. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No they're mostly Americans and people from across Europe! However when it comes to global popularity the Premier League is the most-watched sports league in the world its broadcast in 212 territories to 643 million homes and a potential TV audience of 4.7 billion people. Did you see me post the Africans in their village after Chelsea won the Champions League? Or the Indonesian's? Or the Canadian's in Vancouver? Can you find that going on over a gridiron game? No of course not.

7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has USL Pro Iowa decided to promote the Menace yet?

HailtotheKing repped this.
  8. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I've met several British and German NFL fans. The best Tampa Bay Buccaneers history site is run by Brits. The German Bowl of gridiron football is in the forties of champions. The Minnesota Vikings drafted German WR Moritz Boehringer.

9. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Anyone else recall Brit Mick Luckhurst?

10. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You literally are shown overwhelming evidence that people outside of the US so in fact care about gridiron football and continue to say that nobody cares ... Hell even other responses say that folks in the stands in England are from across Europe!

You actively kick your own statement in the junk

There are pro leagues outside the US and leagues literally all over the world. The NFL holds regular season games outside of the US ... What other professional sporting league does that? The Super Bowl has a global audience and the NFL is watched globally.

You're flat out wrong about this ... that's just a fact

JasonMa and Chesco United repped this.
  11. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well you're doing better than me, despite living here I've never met any British fans. Look I'm sure across a country of 55 million people there must be a few but I've never met any, wasn't there a London team in the NFL once? I recall they played their games at Stamford Bridge in front of a couple of thousand fans, are they still playing? I think they've moved to another stadium now.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baseball was invented in England of course, not Hoboken or Cooperstown. It was definitely around in 1755. But it did look very different to the American version and there's virtually no interest outside of the actual participants.

13. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No other sporting league will dare! Certainly not the Premier League, we (fans) wouldn't stand for it! But Premier League doesn't have to does it? Because unlike American Football it doesn't need to spend hundreds of millions of pounds trying to promote the game does it? Because its already by far the worlds most popular sporting league.

14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A potential TV audience is no indication of popularity. NBCs "Tonight Show" probably has a bigger "potential audience".

I'm not disagreeing about the Prem being more popular than NFL but you're idea of how popular it is delusional.

The Superbowl is a once a year event that attracts a world-wide audience of over 200 million. The FA Cup final is an annual event that attracts a world-wide event of over 500 million. El Clasico is a biannual event that's probably somewhere in-between (La Liga exaggerates).

However many homes the EPL is available the biggest games get global audiences of around 20 million.

HailtotheKing, JasonMa and Chesco United repped this.
  15. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There was never a London NFL team (other than the Jaguars;)) There were the London Monarchs of the 1991 WLAF. They were champions of the league and drew well at Wembley. They beat the Barcelona Dragons in the final shutting them out. Sadly, they never hit such heights again.

HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.
  16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They drew 40,000+ in their first few games, averaging around 16,000 for their final season in London before becoming the touring England Monarchs averaging less than 10,000. They were ahem, "relegated" to Berlin.

17. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If the FA cup gets over 500 million spectators then a vast majority of them are (obviously) overseas viewers, whereas the 200 million superbowl spectators are overwhelmingly American (probably well over 95%). Fact is the scenes seen in Africa, Asia and even Australia after Chelsea's Champions League win is something you don't see after the NY team wins a superbowl. This is what happens in Nigeria after a Premier League game:-

18. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If American Football wants to get a foothold in the UK then I suggest a UK league is perhaps the way to go.

19. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Ever heard of Martin Grammatica?

HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.
  20. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Why 'Jaguars with a wink'?

21. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No, who is Martin Grammatica? (is Grammatica really his name!? :))

22. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Former Kansas State and Tampa Bay Buccaneers kicker. He's an Argentine, B*ca fan, Super Bowl Champion. Last I heard, he was trying to start an Argentine IFAF team. Wonder what success he's having.

23. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Whats a kicker?

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why La Liga continues to float the idea of having one round of games in the U.S. (to have it regularly shot down, but the fact that they keep bringing it up suggests that they would "dare").

Also, on the idea that the NFL/American Football is only popular/relevant in the U.S., there's at least one academy in Australia specifically set up to churn out punters/kickers who can get college scholarships to play in the U.S. and hopefully go on to the NFL.

HailtotheKing and Chesco United repped this.
  25. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lol, it's someone who kicks extra points and 3 point field goals and does kickoffs after scores. It's the primary means of how foreign players make the NFL. That and punters. If you're up for seeing something greviously funny, look up Bill Gramatica injury on YouTube. Google and Wikipedia are your friends.