The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He's basically describing cup competitions! There is no way that a playoff to decide the champion at the end of the season will be accepted here by the fans, no way! Could you imagine if after winning the league Man City lost a playoff against Spurs to decide the league champion!!? It would make a mockery of the whole 9 month season before! You may as well just forget the season and have a knockout tournament like the world cup! Never going to happen.........and if it ever did that would be me done with the game completely.

2. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm with you on more inter-conference play in the play-offs; but it also needs to happen in the regular season. Teams in the middle, but on different sides of the conference line; should still play at least one. Minnesota and Chicago, for example. And the Canadian teams should all play each other even though 2 are in the east 1 is in the west. Plus, as a Rapids fan, I don't want to just see the same West teams year after year.

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that he chose to use American sports for comparison when he could have looked closer to home.

How the most popular team sports in Italy choose their champions:

1. Football: full season
    2. Basketball: playoffs
    3. Volleyball: playoffs
    4. Rugby: playoffs
    5. Water Polo: playoffs

Yeah that makes sense.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  4. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    #34554 CoachP365, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
    The "Texas to Portugal with no USSDA/MLS academy involved" tax, I'm all for it, I hope the pen stings in Don's hand everytime he signs the check, like in Harry Potter :laugh:

5. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Potentially, but the mechanism of promotion acts to reduce those chances since they would have to run a club well enough to earn promotion in the first place.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep just listened to a Podcast on this with Rory Smith of the NYT. It was a Liverpool one so biased but he was saying he wouldn't be surprised if whoever ends up relegated doesn't sue after the season.

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    West Ham should have been relegated over the Tevez affair but hey, they were West Ham.

M repped this.
  9. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    [
    And Everton are Everton so, yeah, nothing will happen.

10. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pay to play academies are the way to go!:rolleyes:

11. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    Training and Solidarity payments would help alleviate that - wonder if Varzim sent money to his u12-18 teams....

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I was wrong (again!). I don't think he played for Liverpool Warriors academy but for their defunct NPSL team having been plucked directly from his high school.

After about a season his Portuguese shopped him around Europe. I wonder if the coach got a backhander.

I think today the Warriors would get a solidarity payment of around $10k. I don't think schools can accept anything.

13. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet we see shit run clubs in top flights everywhere ... They aren't anomalies

Chesco United and Paul Berry repped this.
  14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would it though? The pay to play academies are here to stay for the foreseeable future. Hell, even Barcelona's US academies are pay to play.

The training and solidarity payments aren't a sustainable business model.

Chesco United and HailtotheKing repped this.
  15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See Everton.

Chesco United, jaykoz3 and HailtotheKing repped this.
  16. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is completely foreign to North American fans. I'm currently watching a Stanley Cup (NHL) Playoff game between the Carolina Hurricanes and the New York Rangers. Yes, announcers have mentioned that the Florida Panthers won the Presidents' Trophy for best regular season record. If they don't win the Stanley Cup, then they're not the champions. It's that simple.

Mervin JK, HailtotheKing and jaykoz3 repped this.
  17. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For many Americans, it's the exact opposite: it would be a mockery to not decide the champion in a playoff, because the American sports mentality is that you can't be the best without beating the best head-to-head.

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But it is accepted by fans over there in almost every sport except football.

19. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Watching them has been great entertainment the last several weeks though.

And this League One play-off final this morning is really entertaining too.

20. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't care if its accepted in the US, it will NEVER be accepted here it would make a complete mockery of the whole damn competition, can you imagine if at the end of the season Spurs played Man City and beat them with a fluky goal and then Spurs were declared as the best team in England!?? It would be laughable, the Premier League is the worlds most popular league for a reason and it would destroy it. It ain't happening, not today, not tomorrow, not in 10 years, the fans are STILL the power behind English football (see the ridiculous Euro Super League proposals) and the fans WON'T let it happen, end of.

21. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A handful of games yeah ... plenty of Everton viewing this season wasn't

and yes, playoff matches are usually very entertaining

Cool, check the thread title again ... this is about p/r in the US.

and that second part is just your opinion. The place in which this discussion is aimed, the US, that isn't the case.

It was also pointed out that in most/many other sports even where soccer is king, "our way" is perfectly fine for determining things.

Yes, because that's what happens when you're forced to play the best of the best in a head to head knockout to determine the champion.

This last year the 49ers hit a FG as time expired to upset the No1 seed Packers. Guess what? Nobody laughed and nobody thought it bullshit and nobody thought the season was made a mockery of!

Cool story, but the EPL ain't the US league. So this is irrelevant!

Though, if you think it is P/R that is what makes the EPL the most popular league in the world then I feel sorry for you. Why isn't the Bundesliga or LaLiga or Serie A or Ligue 1 or the Superligen or the Jupiler? They all have pro/rel ...

... the EPL rise to world dominance happened when ManU and a few others decided to be very AMERICAN in their approach to their club and create global brands out of them. Pro/Rel literally had nothing to do with it.

Chesco United repped this.
  22. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The NFL is the world's popular sports league.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  23. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a fan regards as the proper way to designate a yearly champion is conditioned by what that fan has become used to through years (sometimes many decades) of experience. European leagues should stick with what European fans are accustomed to. American leagues should stick with what American fans are accustomed to. Neither continent should be trying to force its system on the other. To each his own.

AlbertCamus, bigredfutbol, owian and 5 others repped this.
  24. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it would be a complete mockery of the season if 4th place Harlequins (71pts) were to beat both 1st place Bristol (85 pts) and then beat 2nd place Exeter (82 pts) in a playoff to be crowned League champion.....wait??? That actually happened last season???? Where was the outrage??? I know, I know....it's Rugby Union who cares???

Crazy thought: Trim the EPL down to 16 teams. After 30 games of home/away fixtures the table splits into two halves of 8. The top 8 then play another round robin schedule of games, with the league champion being crowned after those results.

The lower 8 teams play round robin to determine who gets the drop. It's not quite playoffs, though it does give more matchups between that season's best teams at the "business end" of the season.

It's arguably the most watched sports league:

https://www.sportingfree.com/top/most-watched-sports-leagues-world/

I dunno....the EPL is VERY popular outside of England, especially in Asia. More than half of the world lives in Asia.....

AlbertCamus, HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.
  25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only in the sense that America is the world. I think globally its a toss up between NBA and the EPL as both are hugely popular in Asia.

The global ratings for the FA Cup Final, which I know isn't a league, is about 3x that fit the Super Bowl.