The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    People very definitely respond to a bit of ambition. A few years back I went to see a local derby between two small teams local to me (9th tier), and there were probably only 150 there. Same two teams, same place, a few months ago (8th tier) and again, nearly 700 there.

I think a fair few enjoy the more relaxed atmosphere as well as the obviously cheaper prices compared to the pro game, and the fact that the clubs seem to be genuinely welcoming. Of course, it's not across the board - some clubs have a spark, it seems, and some don't.

For Hallam it probably helps that not only are Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United having bad times, but they have that little thing called 'history', being the 2nd oldest (association) football club in the world, and they still play at the same ground the started at in 1860. The place manages to slope from one end to the other, and from one side to the other, but it's like a billiard table compared to the rest of that part of Sheffield. It only has three sides too, sharing with Hallam Cricket Club (from which they are an offshoot) but Bramall Lane was three-sided too until the mid 1970s.

JasonMa, AlbertCamus and bigredfutbol repped this.
  2. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    True, but they qualified by virtue of winning the trophy in 2005, not by league position.

Even in the old "champions only" days, the previous winners took part even if they didn't win their league's title.

I think the big difference is that such 'unusual' qualification records are rare in the champions league, but by the very nature of allowing so many play-off spots in MLS, it's normal.

Whether allowing in teams that low in the standings actually matters in another issue,

3. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I lived for six months right by Hallam's ground. It was a bitterly cold place to watch a game in winter.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  4. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    When I was a kid, soccer was not particularly big in southeast Tennessee, so the youth league schedules included games against teams in other clubs in the metro area.
    One of the clubs we regularly played against had a pitch exactly like you’re describing, with hardly any grass. It was also right on the river, so frequently, balls kicked over the touch line would roll downhill into the river and one of us would have to fish it out.

Along one side of the field was the runway of a private airport, so personal planes would take off and land right off the sideline while the game was happening.

5. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I love a ground with a slope. I miss Wycombe Wanderers' old Loakes Park. Even though it looks like the camera has been held badly, you can tell by the trees that it's perfectly straight.

upload_2021-11-20_11-46-33.png

Hallam wasn't that severe, but was steep enough to mean that Hallam clearly knew how to play to use it to their advantage.

upload_2021-11-20_11-52-44.png

When I went to San Jose I thought there'd be a fine view of the city airport just across from the open end, but flights seemed to stop for the evening.

There are two small clubs in London located back-to-back at the end of Heathrow's south runway

upload_2021-11-20_12-0-11.png

JasonMa, M, AlbertCamus and 1 other person repped this.
  6. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus, the 2020 MLS champion, didn't make the playoffs in 2021.

Chesco United repped this.
  7. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TBF to the whole point, draws go a long way in mitigating points on both sides

8. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    One of my friends in 1996 was a Burnley and Liverpool fan. He confessed to me that he was caring more about Burnley (then in the 3rd tier) since he came to America and had access to the Internet.

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    West Ham were unlucky in 2002/03 to be relegated despite only losing 42% of their matches. I wonder what would happen if they had shootouts and draws were out of the question.

10. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    RSL won MLS Cup in 2009 as a low seed. They might have been a #8 seed in the West.

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where was he from?

I think it was the 1972/73 season when I picked one team from each division. I was a Liverpool supporter and I picked Burnley, Bolton and Southport from the other divisions. All four teams won their divisions.

I started watching Notts County in 1979 and became a full- time supporter the following season. They were promoted to the First Division for the first time in 55 years.

Since I left the UK it's been all downhill.

12. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats to Union Omaha's promotion to USL Championship.
    [emoji854]

Chesco United and AlbertCamus repped this.
  13. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    “Already relegated” Norwich City won their second successive game yesterday and are now a “massive” three points off 17th (the first non-relegation position).

“Playoff contenders” The Detroit Lions lost again and are closing in on the Best Draft Choices Championship.

14. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3pts .... and 12 goals

Pesky details

15. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    #32740 M, Nov 22, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    Playing for better draft choices.... yeah.

"The winless Lions clawed their way within striking distance of victory, but Campbell made a pair of fourth-quarter blunders that handcuffed a team that already starts every game facing an uphill battle."

"The Lions are 0-9-1, so it’s not as if any of these games matter anymore. But still, a coach’s job ultimately boils down to putting his players in the best position to succeed, and Campbell didn’t do that."

https://www.clickondetroit.com/spor...st-detroit-lions-in-fourth-quarter-vs-browns/

Looks like someone needs to let Bill Maher know they're playing for better draft choices :p

"
    "Let's end the tradition where one of the football teams on Thanksgiving Day has to be the Detroit Lions, for a very important reason — pretending that this is a must-see game is key to how we avoid talking to our families for three hours," Maher said during his "New Rules" segment.
    "It's hard to tell Uncle Phil, 'You know, I'd love to learn more about how the Rothschilds are micro-chipping Trump supporters, but the Lions are on.'
    "I mean, he's gullible, he's not that gullible."
    "

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...-lions-thanksgiving-day-tradition/8711751002/

16. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Burnley. He told me about being chased by Blackburn fans. I originally looked down on Blackburn (champions in 94-95) and Burnley being rivals, until I checked the then-new Internet and saw that he was right about Burnley's titles.

JasonMa repped this.
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who told you about being chased down?

I took my Dad to a Blackburn vs Burnley derby in the early 1980s. As we lined up to get in, bottles started landing around us. I don't think he's been to an actual game since.

18. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The English Burnley fan.

19. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last night, 7th place ranked Real Salt Lake beat 2nd place ranked Seattle Sounders in MLS Cup Playoffs.

Meanwhile in the Bundesliga, it's all but assured that Bayern will win the league title again.

Eintracht Frankfurt will probably be placed mid-table, too bad there isn't a league cup competition that a 7th placed Bundesliga can partake in instead of basically playing for nothing at the tail end of the season.

JasonMa repped this.
  20. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    This is a truly horrible example to hold up as some superior model to determine a league champion. RSL won in penalties without even recording a single shot the entire game.

JasonMa, Chesco United and M repped this.
  21. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    And rather devalues the regular season, of course... RSL had the equal 13th best regular season record that wasn't even a winning record.

22. Doogh

Doogh Member+

Oct 5, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) I like the playoffs for this reason. Cupsets.

2) No, it does not devalue the regular season. We already have a league trophy that determines the team with the best winning record. Also in the regular season, Real Salt Lake made the playoffs on just a point goal differental, had they lost without Rusnak and Kreilach playing, it would've been LA Galaxy. What is Southampton or Eintracht Frankfurt playing for?

3) I'm not playing your dumb charades today. Enjoy your NISA crapshoot.

JasonMa and Chesco United repped this.
  23. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    no a shoot on goal. and now somehow this team will go through and act like they won. and if it is single table just like bayern new england would be crowned a champion league. even with equal distribution of money and play off they still do not get the parity or exitment into league. and while single table no play off leagues do not have salary cap they still have many battles going on. from championship battle to cl.el.cl(what idiot called confeence league/cl )

24. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I didn't realize the regular aka "watching paint dry" season consisted of one game.

Southampton are five points above a relegation spot with 26 games left.

25. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette