The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    AFC seems to be very pro pro/rel.

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's not surprising given the culture.

HailtotheKing and Chesco United repped this.
  3. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't comprehend what a business is ... do you?

I literally can't list how many businesses are publicly owned.

I, what the actual ********? .... because a club is owned majorily by fans they can't be a business?
    [​IMG]
    ALL of it ... it's all sport, literally, by definition.

sport
    /spôrt/
    Learn to pronounce
    See definitions in:
    All
    Sport
    Biology
    noun
    1. 1.
      an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So hear me out ....Chelsea started winning because they got better players. To get better players, teams need to spend MONEY.

Does spending lots of cash guarantee winning? No, however, it does give you a much better chance at winning. Fenway Sports Group didn't purchase Liverpool to lose money chasing trophies....that said, winning trophies does bring in riches and allows them to make a profit on their investments.

Arsenal make their shareholders a lot of money....however, they are not that ambitious as they don't splash cash to sign players to compete with the likes of Liverpool, City, United & Chelsea.

Newcastle is another example. Steve Bruce is given the goal to stay up. As long as he keeps Newcastle in the EPL, he'll have a job. Mike Ashley is going to continue to run his club like a business. If they happen to win a trophy along the way, cool. If not, and they stay in the EPL and don't lose money he's happy. Now, as for their supporters.....yeah they're not happy, however they're still showing up.

The beauty of SPORTS is that each new season all teams have a chance to win. Some have a better chance then others, yet all teams have that chance at the start of a new season. Even sports teams in US Leagues.....

Athletic Bilbao & Osasuna are fan owned. Most of the teams in the Spanish third tier and below are fan owned as well.

Fun facts: All clubs in Norway are fan owned. Yokohama FC is Japan's First fan owned club. Greece's Panathinaikos is fan owned. The 12 traditional big clubs in Brazil are fan owned (Botafogo, Gremio, Santos, etc.). All clubs in Argentina are fan owned.

HailtotheKing and DanGerman repped this.
  5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England is different in that most fan owned clubs have been sold to the first credible investor to come along. Sometimes that takes a long time.

Chesco United repped this.
  6. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Emmen and Vitesse and noticed how immaculate the pitch looked ...
    ... It's artificial turf
    They'll never be a top league allowing that ...

Chesco United, JasonMa and Paul Berry repped this.
  7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That artificial pitch gives Emmen a huge home advantage.

What, they lost 4-1?

8. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    #28858 M, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    I don't see anything in this article that addresses the issue of major league teams coasting along as a failure ad infinitum and still get to share the economic spoils ad infinitum.

9. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    He really hasn't run it as a business though given that they've been relegated twice and missed out on a ton of television, marketing and merit payments. He's also unsuccessfully tried to sell the club on several occasions.

10. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Closed major leagues lend themselves to situations where they become overarching with little of substance below. So of course there is nowhere to relegate teams to.

11. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah they got 'better' players, Pat Nevin from St. Mirren, Speedie from Darlington, Dixon from Reading, Spackman from Bournemouth, Eddie Niedzwiecki from Wrexham, Joey Jones also from Wrexham, a 37 year old Chelsea Legend John Hollins for his experience. Didn't cost much! but along with a superb manager in John Neal they went from 2nd Division strugglers to a team that finished 6th in the First Division (Premier League), I bet other 2nd division clubs wished they'd spent their pennies that wisely don't you? The team cost peanuts but they won the second division title and arrived in the top half of the first division because they started to win football matches not because they didn't spend much.

12. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I’ve said this before, I will say it again: gridiron football is a bad example, because it’s completely unfeasible economically.

Baseball and basketball (especially basketball) are much better examples of sports that could support pro/rel in the U.S.

The college game destroys any potential for a lower league model in basketball, though.

13. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    The sooner colleges cease having pro sports teams, the better.

HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.
  14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure the college game so much kills the idea of pro/rel in basketball. I think it's more the American mindset of "Major" and "minor" league sports. The economics wouldn't make sense either. There would be an enormous gap between NBA teams and any minor league teams. For this current season NBA teams have a Salary Cap of $109M for 12 players. There is a HUGE gap in talent too. Every season the best college basketball players do not make it to the NBA.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver has openly talked about moving the NBA towards the "European" player development model by creating NBA Team Academies. A lot of this talk was spurred on by the FBI's investigation into college basketball, and the NBA not wanting to be mentioned in that (due it's players being involved in these investigations due to their pre-nba time in college). Not to mention they want more and better control on the quality of players coming into the league.

Baseball would have the same economic barriers to entry in a pro/rel setup as well. Many "minor" league teams wouldn't be able to exist without the support and subsidies from their Major League partner clubs.

15. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would be the point of pro/rel in NBA? The existing model seems to be working pretty well. According to Wikipedia it brings in $7.7 billion in revenue, which is 3 times a much as the Champions League.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  16. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Great for the NBA teams owners, not so great for teams and places permanently excluded from having a major league team.

17. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I’m not suggesting that it could work that way now, just that the sport itself would be easier to implement it with.

18. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I should have written “could have supported”. That ship has long since sailed for the big American leagues.

19. Pfffft. Start producing players like we do for decades and come back again.
    Wait. You need players from that non top league to fill your USMNT roster, because your shit league doesnot produce a player fit for one of the NT's that has been at least semi finalists and finalists in WC's in the last 16 years.
    You really are a piece of ignorance, the bespoke US soccerfan who for years on end proclaim the coming domination in soccer.
    Top leagues are leagues where excellence rises, blossoms and gathers, in some leagues this in extreme form like the epl.
    Your system procreates mediocracy, because it's built in.
    Climb the highest skyscraper the US has and still you can't see the rear lights of that league that in each year produces more quality players than that shit league of yours in decades.

20. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet if I remember correctly your World Cup 2018 went the same way as ours. Soo there's that. Look the United States has only truly started to get it's shit together after 94. So looking at that it's done well for itself, surely the US have not committed some fantastic choke jobs like 98 or in the final of 2010. But I long for the day when we as a country can look ourselves in the mirror and revel in our ability to produce fantastic players that crumble in the heat of the biggest stage.

21. :ROFLMAO:
    Oh dear.
    Another US fan delusionally comparing their team with the Orange squad.
    "We didnot make it to the 2018 WC, so we're as good as the Orange squad".
    :D
    Sure. And it's a known fact the democrats run a pedophile ring.

22. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You see I never said that the United States is as good as the Dutch. What I did say is that performance wise the Dutch choked! And have choked for AGES, the US isn't on the same footing as the Dutch, our sports cultures are dramatically different and voetball isn't on the same level as soccer because we have baseball, football (american), Basketball and Hockey all having existed longer and having culturally engrained themselves here. You not realizing that or dismissing it just clearly shows you're not able to properly debate the issues dealt with in this thread. I mean you have nothing but insults and inane come backs to other posters rebuttals to your statements. Which only means you have nothing and when you can't attack the statement you attack the messenger, which only means you've lost the debate.

23. Yeah. Typical US soccerfan shit. You (with countless other US soccerfans, it must be a running gag in the States) make it sound we were overrun in each of the finals and should thank on our knees we werenot slaughtered.
    Yeah. It shows again your ignorance. You can't watch a match and see what really happens on the pitch. This must be something that permeates deep in the US soccer culture. No clue what happens for real on the pitch. You can have a long wait just to come close to the Dutch number of quarter finals.
    Speaking of chokers.

24. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #28874 DanGerman, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    You guys choked in 98. How educated do I have to be to noticed that you guys couldn't hit penalties MULTIPLE times in a elimination game. Where have I missed the minute examples that making me an educated "soccer" person the first 2 penalties? The Dutch have a bad habit of abandoning their game and playing negative and trying to stop the other team from playing their game. You my friend are the arrogant one here, talking down to us like we can't possibly understand and when we do and show you have you are wrong you go all in a huff and begin to call people names. Might I suggest not underestimating your fellow posters it'll make for a better conversation. I've already blocked M and this thread is better for me for it, you are in the way of joining him because honestly you add very little here because you don't have the mental capacity to see things our way.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No-one is excluded from having a major league team. People in Tulsa tend to follow the Thunder.

Being raised in Cheshire didn't stop me having a first-class cricket team. I followed Lancashire.