The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Some comments:
    Richard Austin 11 Oct 2020 8:22PM

What you have to bear in mind here is that the big money is coming from areas where they cannot understand why it matters to us mere supporters that Leicester not only won the Premier League but hammered it. They can't understand why it matters that Nottingham Forest won back to back European Cups or why Aston Villa won the League and the Champions League. The market they are selling our game to are only interested in the big names. We know who Brentford are, we know who Accrington Stanley are, we know why they are important but the market our game is being sold to do not care.

Flag
    Frazer Torry 11 Oct 2020 8:22PM
    they said on the BBC this had been rejected.

Flag
    Richard Austin 11 Oct 2020 8:18PM
    This is really about tying up a Champions League franchise for the so called Big Six and the European big boys and the hell with everyone else. Why do Barcelona, United, Liverpool, Real et al not have the balls to say what they really mean?

Flag
    Oliver James 11 Oct 2020 8:16PM
    16th placed relegation candidates Man Utd can b@gger off. Never let Yanks near sport. Turn it into dross.

3. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I don't think this is the right interpretation of the Roots' move: they have lofty aspirations. Like MLS-level aspirations.
    They care more about the Roots and Oakland and less about building a system for have nots to join the pyramid. (Note, this is not a criticism of the Roots: it's just assessing where their priorities lie.) NISA was a marriage of convenience: remember, they jumped ship from the Founder's Cup to NISA when Miami did as well.
    They are upwardly mobile and NISA is, at best, a decades long commitment where you will be associated with some absolutely unfashionable clubs that will completely tarnish your brand.
    This sums it up pretty well. They'll move to whatever is the largest showcase for what they're trying to do with their brand. I realize that sounds condescending, and I don't really mean it to, but the reason people pay attention to them so much is because the buzz they've created about what they project to be.
    I don't. I mean, the entire league is going to be an example of the prisoner's dilemma until they have enough clubs to comfortably get through an offseason (14-16 seems like where you'd want to be, between poaching and attrition), but if it's not open to join and leave, I'm not sure really what value it would bring.

To me, it's hard to read a whole lot into Miami and Oakland defecting to USL-C. It's a move up, for one thing. In the way we've structured the pyramid, they've moved to a more appropriate level for their markets.

They're also not super-committed to building up the game: Silva isn't even interested in building a following for his club. I never really considered his lawsuit to be "for the good of the game" as much as "for the good of his club".

You go with what you have, of course, without a doubt they were "committed" to NISA as long as it was the only place they could hang their shingle. But you probably want owners more like Robert Palmer than Riccardo Silva or Benno Nagel. Not that I necessarily think that the Armada would join NISA over USL-C (I legitimately have no idea either way), but he's shown the sort of thinking, historically, to fundamentally change the business of soccer in the US, which is the sort of commitment you're going to need from clubs/markets that are in desirable "soccer warz" territories.

DanGerman repped this.
  4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that this is being touted by the EFL, not the PL.

Without the paywall

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english...erpool-back-radical-efl-overhaul-plan-sources

Basically this is an EFL plan to give the top 9 clubs control of the Premier League in return for them giving a whole lot of money to the Football League.

The 9 clubs are:

Liverpool, Man City, Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham, Southampton and Everton

HailtotheKing and DanGerman repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I guess I'm glad those 9 clubs and the EFL are now saying the quiet parts out loud. It is, as it has been even more so for a decade or more, about money, nothing else.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  6. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy how much of that states, and points to the FACTS that many of us have been stating FOR YEARS here.

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be interested to follow that.

From your perspective--do the three MLS teams suck a lot of oxygen out of the room?

8. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    My take away from the article is the horror that they wouldn't have a proper table of 20 teams.

9. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    #27909 Placid Casual, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    M and JasonMa repped this.
  10. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    M repped this.
  11. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those nine teams would also have a say in ownership. So if say shrewsbury get a rich financial backer who is willing to pour millions into the club to build them up, you need to get permission from those clubs to take over!

JasonMa repped this.
  12. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They kind of are due since they are based in the 3 major media markets in the country which gets them the most attention on a national scale. It's understandable since they've been around for a while.

However, CPL long term strategy to put clubs everywhere else (over 3 divisions) is very sound with over 2/3 of Canadians living outside the 3 cities. The effect on MLS clubs is that they're potential for growth outside of their cities will be much harder.

The 2026 World Cup will be the event that will push the league to "2.0" while launching the 2nd division.

Putting clubs in Canada's medium size markets will reach even more fans and pro/rel is a major incentive for fans to get invested in their D2 clubs with promotion to the Premier League being the prize which opens the door to continental competition.

DanGerman and bigredfutbol repped this.
  13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "And yet, so many of the objections to this deal remain rooted in stubbornness, in hopeless idealism, perhaps even in nostalgia for a world that no longer exists and can no longer exist. The complaint about English football being run from Boston and Florida feels a touch pernickety: who on earth cares where your unaccountable billionaire power-broker happens to be registered for tax purposes? And the pleas for them simply to fund the pyramid in perpetuity through altruism alone betray a touching and vaguely deranged departure from reality."

Jonathan Liew - The Guardian

So the big six, plus three, would basically own professional football. As there are nine teams, five votes would be required to make changes.

Then a rotating group of nine Football League clubs would be guests in the Premier League and subject to promotion and relegation.

What happens if one of the three, West Ham, Everton or Southampton get relegated? Does the next longest serving team get their golden ticket?

Parachute payments would disappear. In their place would be a salary cap in The Championship. So what happens if a team gets relegated with £100 million payroll?

The two Premier League parties in this discussion were Joel Glazer and John W. Henry. I wonder where their ideas come from.

The reason this is relevant is that its starts to sound like a proposed solution for pro-rel in MLS, where a number of teams would be promoted to play in MLS without actually being stakeholders in the single-entity.

There's also the possibility that 6 or 8 EPL teams could form a single-entity with permanent shareholders.

Apparently one of the 3 proposed long-term shareholders is appalled by this idea, so I doubt it will go anywhere.

HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.
  14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They couldn't do a worse job than the EFL.

15. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    #27915 M, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    Amusing that that nine includes two teams that have been relegated multiple times, including one that has played at the third level relatively recently. And three that haven't remotely come close to even CL qualification in recent history. And, on the flip side, exclude a recent Premier League winner. The nine are also all located in just three cities - London, Liverpool and Manchester. I suspect the governance parts of this proposal, if nothing else, will go the way of the "39th game" and "B sides in the Football League".

16. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    So instead of proposing this, Rick Parry should put his energy into the Football League getting its act together in this regard. I mean, that's what he's actually paid to do.

JasonMa repped this.
  17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't often agree, but in this case I fully support this statement.

18. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But why bring in the bloke who invented the Premier League to dot the is and cross the ts?

Is he still a director of the NY Cosmos?

19. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you may be confusing him with Paul Kemsly. Who is no longer with the club, he was let go a bit before they started playing in the NASL.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Rick Parry (born 23 February 1955) is the current chairman of the EFL, the former chief executive of Liverpool, the original CEO of the Premier League and a board member at New York Cosmos." - Wikipedia

DanGerman repped this.
  21. DanGerman

DanGerman Member+

Aug 28, 2014
    New York City
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well look at that. I'm not actually sure he's still there although his "role" looks more like a consultant than anything else. That was back when the Cosmos attached a lot of big name people to the club for cache more than anything.

22. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    So the power grab has been stopped dead in its tracks.

Seems all clubs will now discuss reforms.

JasonMa and bigredfutbol repped this.
  23. Did anybody think it really had any chance at all?

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No but when 5 teams broke away in 1990 they ended up with a compromise called the Premier League.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  25. Hasnot the covid drama shown the vulnerability of the top teams when they can't fall back to the domestic leagues?