The All-Encompassing Pro/Rel Thread on Soccer in the USA

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by bigredfutbol, Mar 12, 2016.

1. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. And god forbid that SPORT... a form of entertainment... have some layer of unpredictability.

HailtotheKing and jaykoz3 repped this.
  2. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chesco United repped this.
  3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it will ever happen in the Prem but other British sports use playoffs to determine their champion.

Rugby went back and forth but now the Grand (playoff) Final is the highlight of the Super League season.

Salford played St Helens last year in front of a crowd of 64,000, 13,000 higher than their aggregate home attendance for the entire season.

4. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Plenty of unpredictability without having a serious injury during playoffs wreck a team’s chances of being champion.

5. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    As long as the rules are agreed upon before the competition starts, I don't really see the issue with playoffs. It just changes a team strategy for building their squad/winning the championship.

It's probably a necessary format in the U.S., though. Beneath D1, it's hard to imagine the economic viability of fully national leagues (L1 and NISA are just trying to get enough teams to break up regionally), so balanced schedules at those levels shouldn't be encouraged, and MLS has already expanded too far to not have some kind of playoff.

6. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Without pro/rel and credible confederation tournaments to qualify for, it's pretty much a necessity.

7. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the issue with playoffs is you make the regular season less important. Without playoffs every game in the regular season could have a direct primary connection to the title. In a playoff format it's secondary because it's only impacting playoff qualification.

I am not saying I am against playoffs, and personally I think MLS should continue them.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  9. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not every game. Only games involving teams at or near first place.

10. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    In closed leagues. Not so in pro/rel leagues.

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I probably shouldn't have said ALL sports, as I would guess you can't really do that for (American) Football. For one thing, lots of smaller districts in Nebraska play 8-man or 6-man football.

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always believed there were too many team in the playoffs, but expansion has been fixing that problem.

HailtotheKing and M repped this.
  13. Expansion Franchise

Chattanooga FC
    United States
    Apr 7, 2018
    I see this repeated a lot, but I’m not sure that it has any actual validity (or that it’s not actually a criticism of specific playoff formats e.g. MLS, NBA, and NHL).

The regular season absolutely matters in baseball or college football.

They aren’t mutually exclusive, but I do think they work best when playoff berths are, well, exclusive.

Mervin JK, HailtotheKing and MinuteWaltZ repped this.
  14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My statement stands for pro/rel leagues. In pro/rel leagues, only the games involving teams at or near first place have "a direct primary connection to the title." Other games might affect pro/rel, but not the title.

15. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Ok, fair enough, but you didn't specify "title" in your response, nor did the part of the post you quoted. But it's good to see you implicitly acknowledge that pro/rel adds another dimension of interest that's absent in closed leagues.

16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    14 teams out of 30 isn't that much different to 6/16 Greece and Belgium.

It depends what the criteria is for the post-season. Home advantage is a great incentive to finish as high as possible.

HailtotheKing and bigredfutbol repped this.
  17. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    But, as I previously pointed out to you, Belgium doesn't completely discard regular season points in its title playoff. An illustration that it's not just about number of teams.

Edit: I see that in Greece "All points accumulated in the regular season will transfer over to the playoffs and playouts." So really you can't compare this to MLS's oversized playoffs.

18. Plus they play a full home and away match competition.

19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely that makes the regular season less important.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  20. Why? You have to be in a certain spot to make the play off, so the regular season still makes itself count. Especially (in the Belgian case, I've no clue about elsewhere) as half (iirc)the points you won you take with you into the play off. So in the regular competition you already build an advantage or disadavantage going into the play off. You donot start the play off with a clean sheet.

M repped this.
  21. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    It might make the concept of having a playoff less needed than when you have an unbalanced schedule, but, given half or all points carry over to the playoffs, it surely makes each individual regular season game more important.

Edit: I see feyenoord beat me to it...

22. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never said they make the regular seasons meaningless, but they reduce the importance of the regular season by shifting the most important games to the playoffs.

Now that could be seen as a good thing, and from a marketing standpoint it is undoubted a good thing to have a your most important game(s) on predetermined dates.

And obviously the bigger the playoffs the less important the regular season is and vice a versa.

23. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think in general it's a good idea. I've been saying (and been made fun of for it ;) ) that D1 college football should adopt pro/rel for conferences. I know it will never happen and why it won't happen but I think it would be great for fans of the sport.

I haven't been heavily involved in local HS sports since I was in HS but I do follow it some and know there has been constant realignment in our local section to try and make sure you have schools with similar resources and ambitions playing each other. So seems reasonable that this is a space where pro/rel could help.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  24. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh absolutely. I wish it was fewer, but that's a personal preference. I mean--it used to be 8 out of 10. We've come a long way!

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an intriguing idea, and unlike a nationwide pro sports league in this country, I think in HS sports in most states it both could work and could be beneficial.