The agenda of the left

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Sep 28, 2017.

1. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You are correct. I use the wrong term.

Now, what is your solution to the "problem" of single parent households?

2. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He probably thinks women need to be more obsequious.

russ, dapip, chaski and 1 other person repped this.
  3. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are people using “single parent” and “unwed” interchangeably?

Because those two terms are most definitely not interchangeable.

4. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Shotgun weddings.

russ and dapip repped this.
  5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    You are rather giving the game away once you are arguing there is a racial component to the 'incentives". Why would black people be more susceptible to the incentives

oh wait - that is the whole point here

this is no different to Big Jake's absent black dad schtick which is an inherently racist argument.

russ, Auriaprottu, Mike03 and 1 other person repped this.
  6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He'd have died of skin cancer there. Early Grace-lookin ************************

[​IMG]

The whole thing is a sham

7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    What happened to the solutions from the guys posting racist theories?

8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    They went back to child sex rings in pizzeria basements. Which reminds me - I have to throw some pizza crusts down the basement. They looked awful hungry yesterday.

9. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I decided to re-watch Ian Danskin's Alt-Right Playbook series of videos on Youtube as he has recently released another after a two-year hiatus. Hilarious how on the nose the second entry in the series is to the recent discussion in this thread and the "argumentation" style demonstrated by a certain participant.

10. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Not too many or they start to expect them everyday.

11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    More resources, fewer deaths, vote dem.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...ie-at-higher-rates-than-those-in-urban-areas/

According to a 2021 U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report on mortality data from 1999 to 2019, people living in rural areas die at higher rates than those living in urban areas—and the gap has been widening. Rates for the top 10 causes of death in 2019 (including heart disease, cancer and accidents) were all higher in rural areas. And the pandemic has only exacerbated things: COVID is now the third leading cause of death nationwide, and rural areas account for a higher share of those deaths per capita than urban areas.

Compared with people living in cities, rural residents are less likely to have access to health care and more likely to live in poverty. Rural states and counties also tend to lean Republican, and many of them have resisted adopting public policies known to improve health.

“I’m not sure that many people are aware that death and health outcomes are deteriorating in rural areas relative to urban ones,” says Sally Curtin, a demographic/health statistician at the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) and a co-author of the report.

Mortality rates in both urban and rural areas fell from 1999 to 2019, but the urban rate started lower and fell faster, the data showed. The age-adjusted death rate in urban areas declined from 865 deaths per 100,000 to 693. In rural areas, it dropped from 924 to 834. In 1999 the death rate in rural areas was 7 percent higher than that in urban areas. By 2019, it was 20 percent higher.

A similar trend was seen for both men and women. While men have higher mortality rates than women overall, rates were higher among rural male and female individuals than among urban ones, and the gap widened over the study period, the researchers found.

Mortality rates were higher in rural areas for all of the top 10 causes of death in 2019. Heart disease was the leading cause, killing 189 people per 100,000 in rural areas and 156 per 100,000 in urban ones. Cancer was the second-biggest killer, claiming 164 and 143 lives per 100,000 in rural versus urban areas, respectively. The third leading cause of death in 2019 was unintentional injuries, a category that includes causes such as drug overdoses and firearm injuries that exclude homicide and suicide.

Higher rural mortality rates can partially be explained by behavioral factors that increase the risk of chronic disease, such as smoking and lack of exercise. Obesity rates are also higher in rural areas. But it’s often difficult to disentangle such behaviors from the politics and policy decisions that enable them.

“I 100 percent think there’s a political dimension to this,” says Haider Warraich, associate director of the Heart Failure Program at the VA Boston Healthcare System and an associate physician at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. “Politics increasingly affects health in this country, more than any other country I can think about.”

Rural areas tend to be more politically conservative, and data suggest that people in Republican-leaning counties die at higher ratesthan people in Democratic ones. Many Republican-led states haven’t expanded Medicaid, which, under the Affordable Care Act, provides health insurance for low-income adults under age 65. “One policy we know has been shown to increase access to health care is Medicaid expansion, and unfortunately, many states with widest gap are ones where Medicaid was blocked,” Warraich says. States that lean Republican also have laxer regulation of smoking and other behaviors that lead to worse health outcomes, he says.

The COVID pandemic only amplified these trends as public health measures such as social distancing and vaccination became extremely politicized.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  12. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I guess the Chinah virus isn’t over in Beijing yet.
    F4603505-03D6-4D0B-809F-69C298ACCCDB.jpeg

13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'd almost rather they die than they switch parties just for their survival and not to help the victims of racial discrimination.

14. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I think Harry Kane got a hair trim since that photo was taken! :)

xtomx and Auriaprottu repped this.