The actual 3 best players in the world

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by zdrav, Jun 29, 2010.

1. 'appy Addick

'appy Addick New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Portsmouth
    Club:
    Charlton Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm never enamoured of list of "best players" because the whole thing is entirely subjective. One man's Messi is another man's Heskey.

Based solely on performances in this world cup, I would say that the players who contributed most to their teams' performances would be (in no particular order):

Diego Forlan: Led the line brilliantly for Uruguay throughout. He has been too much of a handful for every defence that has attempted to shackle him, and has been the inspirational factor that has lifted the other players in the team to perform above their usual level. The Uruguayan team has been greater than the sum of its' parts because of the performances of Diego Forlan.

David Villa. Without his goals, Spain wouldn't have gotten beyond the group phase. Spain truly do have a "Golden Generation" and their passing and ball retention is sublime. But with Torres mis-firing in this competition, it has been left to David Villa to get the goals necessary to keep the team winning.

Arjen Robben. Missing at the start of the tournament through injury and I think it showed. When he returned to the team, Holland gained another dimension. This lifted them a level and turned a good team into a very good team. Spain start as favourites to win on Sunday, but I'm sure that Arjen Robben won't be reading that particular script. And Spain will know it.

Honourable mentions:
    Lionel Messi & Carlos Tevez: For making Argentina look better than ordinary
    Sebastian Schweinsteiger: For unstinting, towering performances
    Maicon: For being the only Brazilian who tried to play like a Brazillian should
    The entire USA team: For their heart, commitment and willingness to work until they dropped.

2. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I would actually put Sneijder in front of Robben for Holland, for me he is neck and neck with Villa for player of the tourney.

3. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    After his no-show in the semifinals, I would move Sch.... down a spot or two. You need to step up in the most important games and he did not.

4. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sneijder & Robben are the most dangerous World Cup duo. Tevez & Messi are equal in talent but they didn't perform when it was on the line.

5. zdrav

zdrav Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Further reward that cheater?

If Germany played badly this tournament and Ghana did well, I guess Kevin Prince-Boateng would've gotten at least the Bronze Ball by your standards since he boosted Ghana's chances of advancing by injuring Michael Ballack.

6. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it also cheating to take out a player on a breakaway? It's the same thing. Stop a sure goal and make them score on the penalty kick.

7. artes33

artes33 Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Great post.

THIS.

8. Tread

Tread New Member

Jul 1, 2009
    No doubt about it.

9. sevillavideos

sevillavideos Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Sevilla, Spain
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    1) Messi
    2) Xavi
    3) Iniesta

VAMOS ESPAÑA!!!

10. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    David Villa is having a MUCH better World Cup than Messi. At the moment I would put him at the top along with Robben, Xavi, and Sneijder

11. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Bitter much?

12. SportsGuru

SportsGuru New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just have one all time favorite!
    Rolando

13. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean 'the' Ronaldo right? The two time World Cup champ from Brazil. Not the prima donna Cristano

14. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Are you kidding?? Schweinsteiger was a beast against Spain. It looked like he was the only German playing. Well, him and the goalkeeper.

15. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Villa and Forlan are the best strikers in the world and the last 2 years.