The actual 3 best players in the world

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by zdrav, Jun 29, 2010.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    yes, but who wears the brown kits? answer us that!

after seeing özil in the U-21's last year and some recent friendlies, i'm hardly surprised... in fact i expected more! but he's young, he can't be great every minute of every match.

on further consideration there are always OG, so your logic is flawed. messi could theoretically score goals for argentina as well. the fact that they don't doesn't mean it's an absolute impossibility.

2. RobbyRobson

RobbyRobson Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i think Phillip Lahm is the worlds best on his position (left back)

3. writethefuture

writethefuture New Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    1) Mueller
    2) Villa
    3) Messi
    4) Park Ji Sung

:)

4. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008
    His first position is rightback, though his two-footedness makes him an excellent leftback. Bayern's lack of a leftback is why he has played there for most of his career before last season.

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    If Holland win the world cup, Sneijder will become the first player ever to win the CL, domestic league, domestic cup and world cup all in one year. Surely he should be included in any top three seeing that he's been vital to both club and country.

1. Messi
    2. Sneijder
    3. ?

6. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    No offense to anyone putting Mueller in the top 3 but...its ludicrous.

Just on the German team, Schweinsteiger, Lahm and Ozil are better options as all around footballers on a consistent basis. Not even sure I'd put Mueller in the top 50 at this point.

My 3 based on how dominant and consistent they are in their positions

1. Messi
    2. Lahm
    3. Sneijder

7. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I have to agree with this, perhaps with Sneijder edging ahead at the WC.

Villa ATM would be third - mostly due to WC performance, with Robben, Xavi, Iniesta and maybe even Drogba close behind.

The Germans have a lot of good performers, but not a standout - Schwienstieger would be the closest.

CRonaldo on his performance over the last 18mths doesn't deserve to be there - he still hasn't got back to the level he was at when he won it.

Robinho has the potential but needs to perform consistently for club as well as country.

IMO Golden ball is clearly between Sneijder and Villa.

8. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Man of the tournament:

1) Sneijder
    2) Müller
    3) Suarez

Villa is close but Suarez gets the third spot for saving Uruguay the way he did in the quarters.

9. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    GK Julio Cesar
    RB Maicon
    CB Pique
    CB Vidic
    LB Lahm
    CM Essien
    CM Xavi
    OM Sneijder
    OM Messi
    SS Rooney
    CF Villa

10. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Essien? Really?

11. prof.tim

prof.tim Red Card

Jul 6, 2010
    of course , MESSI is my favourite

12. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I have to admit that I am highly dissapointed with the new stars.. When I was a kid the greatest stars of club competition always performed very well in the world cup..
    Zico, Rossi, Maradona, Platini, Stoichkov, Rummenigge, Careca, Scifo.. etc.etc..

13. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Jun 29, 2010
    The gap between the great an the average player is a lot more smaller than 20-30 years ago.
    Also there is a lot more tactics and fitness involved , so that the best players have less chances to exploit the errors of a sinlge player or encounter a weary defense after 60 min of play time.

14. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    I disagree with this.. If you watched the NT of France and Brazil in the 80's they were all full of stars and yet you were able to see clearly the ones who stand out... i.e zico, platini.

15. Ryoichi

Ryoichi Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Here.
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Well most of this season greatest stars are performed very well. Robben, Sneijder, Schweinsteiger and Forlán have been good. Suárez scored about 3 goals already, Messi although not starring showed quality and Higuaín is amongst the tournament's top scorers.

In response to the thread title's question in no paticular order.

1. Sneijder
    2. Schweinsteiger
    3. Messi

I expect the 2010 FIFA Ballon D'or to have all of them in the top 3 places.

16. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Yes, they stood out because they were foxes in hen houses. Back in the 80s soccer was slowly becoming a real professional sport but still no comparison to nowadays.
    Watch the game ARG-GER form last week how they countered Messi and compare it with the '86 finals in Mexico.

Either the stars got worse or the average players got better, I think it's the latter.

17. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    are you saying that before the 80s soccer was not a professional sport. Are you serious?..

18. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Yes, it all startet around the 80s.
    In 1980 ZDF and ARD payed ~600k DM for the right to broadcast the Bundesliga games, in '88 it was 18 millions and nowadays it's 420+ mio.
    And with the money came the professionality.

19. Tread

Tread New Member

Jul 1, 2009
    A foreign star of Spain’s La Liga may have been expected to light up the World Cup, but most people would have put money on Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo or Argentina’s Lionel Messi. While that pair have both been disappointing, [Diego] Forlán, who plays for Atletico Madrid, has carried his fantastic club form into the World Cup. As well as impressing in front of the goal, he has proven adept at orchestrating play from a more traditional No. 10 position

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Afri...vs-Uruguay-Three-reasons-why-Uruguay-will-win

[​IMG]
    Diego Forlán

20. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    sorry but I am not following the acronyms.. football has always been the most popular and most appealing sport in the world.

21. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Jun 29, 2010
    ZDF and ARD are tv stations in germany and DM=Deutsche Mark, the former currency.

22. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    and I was supposed to know that,.thanks anyway.

23. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Messi, Robben, Drogba in that order

Ronaldo, Rooney, Sneijder honorable mentions

This is my favorite goal of the year, because of both the beauty and the fact that it ended Man United's CL run

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx16iOUQn8A"]YouTube- [HD]Champions League 2010 Arjen Robben Goal Manchester United 3 vs 2 FC Bayern Munich[/ame]

24. guedegba

guedegba New Member

Jun 6, 2006
    World Cup 2010 :

1. Schweinsteiger
    2. Forlan
    3. Villa

2009/2010 season :

1. Messi
    2. Drogba
    3. Maicon

25. mntiburon

mntiburon Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Fairfax County, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Europa League championship and World Cup semis. Not a bad year for Mr Forlàn :D