The actual 3 best players in the world

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by zdrav, Jun 29, 2010.

1. zdrav

zdrav Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    The Messi-Ronaldo-Rooney/Kaka trio is flawed. Rooney's only on it because he plays for Manchester United, and Ronaldo is a great player who is overrated because of his flashiness and marketability. The greatest players also excel on the international stage, something that Rooney and Ronaldo haven't done. And Kaka's still riding on his AC Milan CL glory years.

So here's my list:

1) Lionel Messi

Phenomenal player for his club, and now putting his naysayers to rest about his international form. Even if he couldn't pass (which he can, obviously), he'd still be the best playmaker in the world because he can draw an entire defensive back line onto himself.

2) David Villa

Finest striker in the world. Impossibly consistent, even when playing for a 2nd tier team like Valencia. His strike rate for Spain is off the charts. Strong, fast, and agile. Can take on 3 defenders all at once.

3) Wesley Sneijder

Phenomenal playmaker with an ability to score goals like a striker. Best player for both Inter Milan and the Netherlands. Will soon surpass Xavi as the finest passing midfielder in the world, if he hasn't already.

Who are your three?

2. lance101

lance101 Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    It is very shortsighted to claim that Villa or Sneijder are better than Ronaldo just based on his Portuguese national team "form"... You should watch some of his games at Real (or old ones at Man U) to see what the man can do! In the national team, he has very often to take numerous opponents on his own, without having adequate fast and skillful teammates to play with...

My top 3:

Messi
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Xavi

3. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You cannot base this on 4 games of football within a span of two weeks. Cristiano Ronaldo is still number 2 even if he finishes this WC Finals poorly. Besides, he was playing against better teams and they decided to play bunker defense vs Portugal(2nd half Brazil as well).

I do not consider Rooney as top 3, but he has a long layoff before the WC Finals and the WC Finals should not be an indication.

4. bianca_dee

bianca_dee New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think I would have to agree with your point there . ;) Well said.

5. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Saying this in reflex: (there are too many players to "really" analyze)

1) Drogba
    Best striker in the world for me by far. He can at times do the impossible. Mentally very self confident. Great first touch. Great in the air. Great physique. Can take free kicks. Great natural leader for all his teams. He also adapted his bad attitude to being a good one. Everything you'd want in a striker of his kind.

2)Messi
    He proved me wrong in his abilities. He is probably realistically no1, but i still prefer Drogba. Messi is still proving me wrong in my underestimation of him.

3) Ronaldo
    He used to be better than Messi for me, until Messi scored like he did in the Champions League...Ronaldo has the best dribbling skills there is. He can header the ball...he can shoot. He has comitment. One of the best in free kick takers in the game.

6. Brady

Brady New Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    1) Messi

Don't think anybody can argue.

2) Rooney

Great for Man Utd. Has the ability to finish as well as being a top tier play maker. He's been off form this world cup but so has the entire English team. Rooney has already proven that he can play for England.

3) Ronaldo

Tough one here. He's a bit overrated. Great for Man Utd. Great for Portugal over the years. Thou his country has been off form this World Cup.

Honerable mentions: Xavi, Drogba, Villa, Torres

7. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    1. Messi
    2. Robben
    3. C. Ronaldo

8. AllStarz

AllStarz Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    1) Lionel Messi

2) Wesley Sneijder

3) Villa

Ronaldo = one big hype, but which player isn't hyped when bought by Real Madrid?

Saying that a player cannot be judged on four games is a flawed argument. One of the aspects that characterizes the top three best players in the world is consistency; they perform wherever and whenever. Players who are largely invisible in four games are not the best players in the world.

Ronaldo has scored only once in almost an entire year for his national team, whereas Rooney has even failed to achieve that in the same time span.

Robben would be among the top 3 if only he wouldn't be injured so often. I've decided to rank Sneijder second, considering that he's the world's best midfielder and has been of such great importance to Inter that he deserves to be second. As for Villa, he typically performs at a steady basis, but I would like to see how he performs as Barca first in order to rank him higher than Sneijder.

9. pololo

pololo Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Sweden/Stockholm
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Messi : Best attacker

Iniesta : Best midfielder

Lucio : Best defender

10. OliKahn1

OliKahn1 New Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    It's unbelievable how out of 7 posts so far, only one person has Robben in their list!! This year, Robben has been the best player, period. I don't understand how most people automatically say messi or ronaldo when you ask them who the best player is. Let me ask you all this, what have Ronaldo/Messi done this year that Robben hasn't? Plus, Robben plays at bayern where he has NOWHERE NEAR the quality players Messi and Ronaldo are surrounded by. I guarantee you put Messi or Ronaldo on this year's bayern team and thy won't do half the stuff Robben did. In other words, it's easy to play when you're surrounded by quality and let's face it, Barca and Real have got more quality on their bench than bayern do in their starting 11 (sad isn't it?)

I truly believe because Robben plays in the BL, he doesn't get enough respect. I do think La Liga is stonger but not by as much as people think. If Messi or Ronaldo would have scored a goal like this one ([ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHr8mFOaX80"]YouTube- Arjen Robben schießt Bayern ins DFB-Pokal Finale[/ame] people would have been raving about it for months. (notice he scored it on a world class kepper not on some scrub from Valencia, osasuna, etc.) But since it is in the Bundesliga, people I think immediately get the idea that "oh it's the BL, low quality, no one cares.

I will say his injury record is horrendous and that's the one thing keeping him from becoming an all time great but whenever he comes back, it's like he hasn't missed a beat! Unbelievable! Look at him yesterday, scores a goal with his trademark left foot. Comes in versus cameroon the other day, curls a ball off the post where it then lands to Huntelaar who easily has to tap it into an open net. How many goals has Messi scored, in FOUR games? Zero, but yet people still rave how he hit the post twice. Pathetic.

So to sum it all up: 1. Robben 2. Messi 3. Ronaldo

11. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Robben will barely make my top 10 list....

12. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thank god you're not a football expert then.

13. Kerry

Kerry Member

Apr 10, 2006
    Dearborn Heights Mi
    Best defender: Koman Coulibaly Lucio couldn't have done what he did to the USA to prevent a goal.:D

14. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Maicon
    2. Messi
    3. Ronaldo

15. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    If i had to choose him based on current form alone, sure...but i don't choose the best players in the world based on current form. I choose them based over a greater period...If we had to choose on current form, only Messi will still make the top3 list...

"The actual 3 best players in the world" < this can be like weather patterns, and can change from day to day. Someone like Ronaldo on the wing will be a better choice than Robben...Robben reminds me of Ribery...which can be brilliant one day, and terrible the next, like in this world cup. Robben and Ribery had some great champions league form, but does that make them better than an off form Kaka in the long run? To me, no....Kaka is not at the best of form, yet he can still achieve extraordinary things...like his one time pass to Fabiano against Chile....and his lay off to Fabiano against Ivory Coast. Robben just draws much attention based on other reasons, which maybe will cause him to be a tad overrated. Also...having a top 10 team of wingers, and a top 10 team of players will be quite different.

16. Mopar

Mopar New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    1. Messi

2. Drogba

3. Sneijder

The Spanish trio of Iniesta/Xavi/Villa can be swapped in for third place.

17. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma
    1 - Messi

2 - C. Ronaldo

3 - Sneijder

18. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    1. Messi
    2. Iniesta
    3. Robben

Ronaldo's overrated, overpriced, and overhyped. :D

19. PTMZ

PTMZ Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Maputo - Mozambique
    So is Kaka. :cool:

20. OliKahn1

OliKahn1 New Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

Robben has been tearing it up for a few seasons now, he was playing real well at Real; too bad Real is a club that's all bout the money and brining in the "famous names" (Kaka Ronaldo) instead of great players. That's why they haven't done squat in the CL in I can;t remember how many years.

The only time Robben is off form is when he's injured (i.e. off the field) because whenever he comes back, it's like he never missed a beat.:cool:

21. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Never said anything about kaka......lol

22. PTMZ

PTMZ Member

Jun 6, 2008
    Maputo - Mozambique
    I was just teasing you. Kaka is a great player and is on my top 3 list, together with Messi and Ronaldo. If Kaka manages to stay injury free for the next season, he will probably regain his spot as number 1.

23. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'm not sure, I love him too, but i'm one of his biggest critics, He's lost a yard of speed, but he still has quality and class that few players have.

24. theLittleBirdie

theLittleBirdie New Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is it that...
    1. There are a disproportionate number of left-footed players among the world's best?
    2. Lefties' lefts are typically much better than righties' rights (i.e., the best righties can often play with both feet, while the best lefties are often pure left-footed players who seemingly never -- or rarely -- use their right foot)?

Examples:

All-Time Greats
    Maradona
    Messi
    Puskas
    Hagi
    Stoichkov
    Rivellino
    Rivaldo
    Roberto Carlos

Current World Stars
    Messi
    Robben
    Van Persie

The players on this list almost never use their right foot -- only for walking and in on-field emergencies... yet their left foots are simply phenomenal (or, as one of my old coaches used to say of a great left foot, "he can open a can of peas" with it).

25. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah, it always seems to happen.....goddamn genetics