The accountants' thread

Discussion in 'Finance, Investing & Economy' started by tcmahoney, Sep 9, 2008.

1. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    No it was in accounting.

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Oh.. Did you do your MBA right after undergrad? I figured you went back to school for it after working.

3. DSC05

DSC05 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah I got it right after undergrad. I couldn't find a job, and most people told me, I needed to be CPA eligible, so I went back for the extra credit hours and was told I might as well get another degree in the process.

4. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Studying for my CPA now. Financial reporting sucks.

5. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    IFRS is the next big thing, comparable to SOX, some say. The learning curve that the companies will have to face by 2012 will force them into an uncomfortable position, leading to massive consulting expenses. This is probably where lots of accountants would like to be at. But it doesn't guarantee anything - companies will eventually learn how to do it themselves.

Just to nitpick - IASB are the International Accounting Standards Board, that mandates the International Financial Reporting Standards. The FASB are the Financial Accounting Standards Board that also mandates generally accepting accounting principles in the United States (US GAAP).

6. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Can't
    Pass
    Aagain

I took the exam the old-fashioned way. It's computerized now, correct?

7. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Correct. With also a simulated writing portion. Did you guys have those?

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    WTF is a simulated writing portion? We had 2.5 days of multiple choice questions.

9. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Basically, the CPA examination now comprises 4 different sections that you can take at at least 4 different times, and each section (with the exception of the Business section) has three multiple choice tests (I think around 30 or so questions) and two simulations, where they give you a scenario, plug in some numbers, write a fcuking memo depending on what they ask you, and find the correct FASB SFAS or any other authoritative literature, as the final research question.

The last summer break of my life.

10. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    i was in the consulting arm of an accounting firm, and as a first job, the travel was great. while my friends were paying for flights back to homecoming, paying for hotels when we followed the USNT, I was doing everything for free due to all the hotel points and airline miles I racked up.

11. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    remember, if you score above 75 on any of the parts, you studied too hard!

12. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bump.

Two years into my accounting career... and I finally decided to give the CPA exam a shot before they completely revise it in 2011 for the international standards I won't use.

Not looking forward to this at all.

13. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    We've been using them for years, and IMO IASes are a thousand times more commonsense than the US GAAP.

14. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Bump. I passed them all! I found out last month and it feels great.

15. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    I hate traveling. It's game for the first few weeks. I was on the road for a bit over a month. It was exhausting.

16. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I just quit a few weeks ago, finish up next Friday.

Moving out of pure accounting (I work for a chartered firm) and into a broader commercial role. It was only ever a stepping stone for me career-wise, I always knew I didn't want to be working with numbers for the rest of my life. But the great thing about accounting is it's the best possible background for working anywhere in business.

17. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    i am studying for bba now
    and with the down turn of the economy
    majority of my classmates are going for finance/accounting, despite some of them wants to be doctor, computing scientist, and even designing

i am not sure if this is a suitable question to ask
    how many of you actually took 'accounting' instead of pursuing your own desired occupation?

i am majoring in marketing/international business
    but i often have the feeling of 'being unstable' for not taking part in finance/accounting.

18. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted to be an accountant but it isn't my ideal job, I thnk. But since I could never identify what that was, I'm sure, if and when I find a job (I complete my masters in December) that I'll be happy with it.

19. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    congrats on finishing your master
    i can imagine the pressure and burden of studying, and perhaps, working at the same time

i would say accounting is one of the most stable jobs offered in the business concentration

the earnings of accounting is stable and it is needed in almost any economic situation

marketing, heh, overly relies on the economy
    once there is decline, the manager will have their rulers ready for spanking.

20. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I wouldnt really worry about it.. It seems (in my possibly wrong opinion) that unless you really actually want to be an accountant, or deal heavily with corporate finance, you dont need it.

Especially if you interests lie elsewhere.. I guess my point is the area that you are focusing on probably wont care if you dont have classes in accounting.

21. junjunforever

junjunforever Member

Feb 18, 2002
    late, but congrats!

22. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want to own a business or run a business or speak intelligently about the financial matters of your business, you need to have an understanding of accounting and finance.

At the very least, you need to be able to read and understand financial statements.

23. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    A pretty basic understanding. Which can be done easily by buying an "Accounting for Dummies", or similar small business owner book.

My point is that he shouldnt feel empty for not taking accounting in his studies, especially if it doesnt interest him. Not taking such courses will only hurt him if we wants a actual accounting/actuarial job, or high end corporate finance job.

I would argue the large majority of small business owners didnt even take accounting/finance. They come from all sorts of backgrounds, many non business related.

24. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    thanks all for the comment
    my undergrad includes:
    - financial accounting
    - managerial accounting
    - financial basic

the reason why i feel bad is:
    there's more jobs for finance/accounting more than marketing/communication

i also envy the 'stableness' of finance/accounting related job

25. derrickJones

derrickJones New Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Hey, I also find it really fun to be responsible for all money transactions in a company you are working in. I'm thinking about taking an accountancy course at ACCA. What do you think about that?