The ACC

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Oct 1, 2023.

1. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    You do know that UNC is looking for an exit strategy right?

Crazyhorse repped this.
  2. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I'm sure all of them are that feasibly can. If they weren't they'd be dumb. Nobody wants to be left in a decimated ACC that will basically become the Big East once all the big brand names are gone. But they are they are looking to move because they have to to compete for $$$, not because they want to. The student athletes don't want to be in a 25 team conference that basically becomes meaningless and requires endless travel. I could see the FTC getting involved if it looks like too much concentration is happening and another major conference is basically dissolved. It also doesn't help the media companies if the Big10 and SEC control all the major sports brands. I could see the NCAA petitioning them to step in as well. It's kind of getting crazy and there are going to be some serious losers (who will be Oregon State and Washington State?). Will individual schools file lawsuits against schools trying to leave? Is there a scenario where ESPN lets the ACC renegotiate sooner? Is there a private financing option that bridges the gap for the big brands trying to leave? Its just a gigantic mess.

L'orange repped this.
  3. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ACC should send millions of thank you cards to FSU for the millions and millions of dollars it brought in since 1991.

Bosco repped this.
  4. Bosco

Bosco Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Yes, we all feel deeply for poor, mistreated Florida State. It’s just awful how they’ve been bullied for so many years.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  5. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    And FSU should thank the ACC for allowing it to be relevant on the national stage as opposed to being a backwater team in the SEC alongside South Carolina.

6. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I am grateful for the ACC for many things. At the time we joined the ACC, it was paying out more than the SEC. Additionally, The ACC really courted us and wanted us.
    Meanwhile, the SEC gave a late lackluster effort telling FSU they could join.
    Since then, the leadership of each conference has diverged with one being laser focused on growing the brand and promoting football. The ACC has been focused on, who knows what, while only really promoting bball.
    Case in point, Phillips was out promoting vigorously more ACC teams in the NCAA BB tourney, while being largely absent from promoting FSU in the football playoff.
    The SEC commish was on every show possible telling them what a tragedy it would be to have a CFP w/o the SEC and even 2 if possible.
    Has the ACC been good for FSU in many ways? Yes!
    Have they done their due diligence to promote a football mentality (pays the bills)? No!
    Swofford and to a lesser degree Phillips were negligent in responding to the changing landscape and now we have a bi-coastal conference with leftovers who do not move the needle for football.
    We got leftovers; meanwhile, The BIG added USC, UCLA, Washington and Oregon and SEC added Missouri and A&M a few years ago and went after Texas and OU.
    The rich will get richer and the ACC unfortunately will become the old Big East.
    To Carolina92, if you think FSU would or will turn into USCe, I have nothing to say to that level of lack of awareness.

BTW youir welcome, b/c UNC will be following the path we blazed out of the ACC.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  7. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't feel sorry for us, we are FSU, you are not. Carry on.

Bosco repped this.
  8. Bosco

Bosco Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Thought of responding, but you made it too easy. Not much fun in mocking someone when they do such a good job of mocking themself.

Crazyhorse and Val1 repped this.
  9. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get off your high horse captain. If you are ever in Tally, break a leg.

10. UNCleNutsy

UNCleNutsy Member

UNC Women
    United States
    Oct 22, 2022
    Some really odd flexes going on up in here.
    Objectively, it appears to me as though Bosco replied with snark to the snark you first dished out.

Crazyhorse repped this.
  11. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed.

12. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    You left out the part about the ACC not being very good in football, which might be one reason why fsu got left out of the playoff.

If FSC, Clemson, UNC and others eventually leave the ACC, we'll have a P3, which 3 major conferences, each with, say, a ridiculous 22 members. The Big 10 is at 18 now, and that number will surely grow. What will be the point of 22-member conferences? I have no idea---it seems stupid, and the only way these giant conferences will be able to manage scheduling/travel will be to create regional sub-groupings within the conferences that will resemble, to some degree, the conferences they left! The Big10 will have a Western division that will be a smaller version of the Pac12. The SEC might have an East Coast/Mid-Atlantic division which evokes the old ACC. The conferences will become the athletic equivalent of billionaires who build these gargantuan 50-room mega-mansions and then 5 years later they can't sell the things and the billionaire says to himself, "What the hell was I thinking?"

cpthomas repped this.
  13. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    #238 Carolina92, Apr 13, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    whatagoodball repped this.
  14. Carolina92

Carolina92 Member

Sep 26, 2008
    #239 Carolina92, Apr 19, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    Duke and Wake Forest are the only teams to have posted their Fall 2024 schedules so far, but I imagine as this academic semester comes to a close we'll start to see more published. This gives us our first glance at what an expanded ACC slate will look like, including travel to/from CA and TX for teams.

Duke 2024 Fall Schedule
    https://goduke.com/sports/womens-soccer/schedule
    Duke hosts SMU, but then travels out west to face Cal and Stanford in the same weekend in October. SMU will probably also play NC State or UNC that weekend.

Wake Forest 2024 Fall Schedule
    https://godeacs.com/sports/womens-soccer/schedule
    Wake Forest hosts Cal and Stanford on the same weekend and then travels to SMU. My guess is that Stanford and Cal will face either NC State or UNC that same weekend while they are in town.

15. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    This .....

Applies to all sports, but becoming more important as transfers grow in frequency.

16. whatagoodball

whatagoodball Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 9, 2021
    Since things are a little slow, I'll post the teams' ACC opponents with the caveat that it was done "by hand" and give no guarantees of correctness. I am happy to make corrections if someone notices errors. I had 12 of the 17 teams' schedules and was able to determine the others by a process of elimination. In the first grid, a "1" means the two teams play each other. The "triangular" table indicates the number of games teams have in common. If that number is bold, it means they play each other as well. Image 6-21-24 at 4.19 PM.jpeg

cpthomas repped this.
  17. whatagoodball

whatagoodball Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 9, 2021