The ACC in 2011

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Aug 30, 2011.

1. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @tman

Sunny is more of a creator than a finisher for Maryland. A lot of people here thought he would play up top this season with Mullins staying in the midfield, but his footwork makes him very dangerous on the wings. He'll get his goals eventually.

2. Bid&Offer

Bid&Offer Member

Nov 25, 2006
    VT pulls off major upset 1-0 over UNC in 2 min of 2nd OT. Wow......

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Wow, indeed.

Congrats to the Hokies and thanks to them for, again, reminding me why I don't gamble, especially on college kids.

4. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
    September 10, 2011 :: Thompson Field, Blacksburg, Va.

(1) North Carolina (3-1-0, 0-1-0 ACC) 0

Virginia Tech (2-2-0, 1-0-0 ACC) 1

Attendance: 2,052

UNC 22 shots

Virginia Tech 8 shots

Scoring Summary
    No. Time Team Goal Scorer Assist Description
    1 102:31 VT James Shupp (1) Kevin Reitzel finished off bouncing ball in box far post from 6 yards

As I told one of the Carolina dads.....its a cruel game

5. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Richmond vs NC State (Sep 10, 2011 at Raleigh, N.C.)

Attendance: 583

Weather: Clear

Richmond (0-3-1) 1

NC State (2-1-2) 1

SCORING SUMMARY:
    GOAL Time Team Goal Scorer Assists Description
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. 32:37 UR PEREZ, Luis ABRAHAMOFF, Colby Shot off keepers hands
    2. 63:52 ST Ollie Kelly (2) Monbo Bokar; Gbenga Makinde Long ball, combo into box leads to one-on-one

Ollie Kelly had some strong moments

NC State's on campus facility continues to be improved...a better situation than Richmond where some fans were a touch annoyed with being moved off campus

6. JBohland

JBohland New Member

Feb 6, 1999
    Lose to Howard, beat #1 UNC...crazy stuff. Big win for us, the kids and the program really needed it. Hope they can build off it.

7. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Howard #1 in country next week.

8. cultureman

cultureman Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Time to dust of my hokie gears. On second thought make that the fighting Gobblers gear.
    Good win boys. Keep it up.

9. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big question: Does Maryland become the odds-on favorite to win the ACC, or is UNC given a bit of a pass?

10. tman1

tman1 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Until Maryland's backline and Swaim are tested, I'm saving some dry gunpowder on this terp team still. Swaim had some shaky moments that I caught against Standford in the 2nd half of that game. The thinking is when they go to Virginia, that will be the first true test

11. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terps #1 in the newest NSCAA poll.
    UNC falls to 8th.
    Boston College drops to 11th.
    Virginia vaults to 12th from 24th after the win at Duke. (NSCAA probably had them underrated the last couple weeks)

And that's it for the ACC in the poll. Looks like it'll be a four team race unless someone surprises.

12. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Looks like UVa has no intention of staying there.

13. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. Maryland and UMBC tied 3-3 heading into overtime, UMBC scored two in a couple of minutes after Casey Townsend completed a hat trick.

14. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terps survive! Taylor Kemp sends in a free kick from 35 yards out, and John Stertzer heads home the winner in double overtime after getting stuffed on penalty in the first extra session. 4-3, Maryland tops UMBC in Catonsville.

15. Baron52

Baron52 Member

Apr 29, 2006
    This was one WILD game!!

16. Baron52

Baron52 Member

Apr 29, 2006
    crazy...:eek: midweek games....a coaches nightmare

17. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    yes....

18. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the meantime, Casey Townsend is cementing his name in the Hermann Trophy Race. Eight goals in six games including tonight's hat trick.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Losing to Liberty at home by two goals is one of the worst UVa losses in memory.

Liberty has recruited well in recent years, but this shouldn't happen.

20. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole 'Virginia being bad' thing is just making me more excited for my trip down there in October.

21. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Not to take anything away from Virginia's tremendous defensive showing in 2009, but their combined record over the last four conference seasons was 11-16-5. I was expecting an upturn this year, but maybe they're just not that good.

On the other hand, Maryland's fast start is extremely impressive (why did I doubt them?). After winning national titles in 2005 and 2008, you have to wonder whether one more championship would send Sasho to the pros.

22. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure about Sasho in the pros - he loves the college game, he loves the atmosphere at Ludwig Field and the program is basically his baby. His successes opened the door for the women's team to grow under Brian Pensky in the past few years, and now the two programs have seemingly reached a checkpoint - that is, if the university needs to cut some Olympic sports, both soccer programs will avoid the axe.

23. tman1

tman1 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Look it's a capitalist world. If an MLS club offers Sasho a ton of money he'll think about. I know I would but his girls (I believe) are in middle school and hs and I'm sure the family (at least the women) don't want to leave the area yet. Despite the budget constraints at Maryland, I'm thinking the opposite where the Maryland AD better open his wallet and lock this guy up for another 5-10 years. Best program hands down out there and the best coach out there at Maryland. Sasho IMO is at least among the top 2 best recruiters in the countryr. Of course I'm leaning to the left of the mendoza line to College Park.

With all that said, giving up 3 goals last night to UMBC wasn't great, so I think we can still hold off (at least I am) on the talk on a NC. Last year's team I swore was a lock for the cup and heavy favs to win the whole thing. WE know how that went.

Tman

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    With Sasho, it won't be money that gets him to MLS, it'll be control.

Sasho is a great coach. He's also a control freak. He would need an MLS team to give him the reigns and let him have final say over technical staff, players, salaries, etc...

I don't know too many teams that would give that much control to a guy with no pro coaching experience. I know that he's been approached in the past.

If the Red Bulls don't get their act together soon, they're gonna be in the market for a head coach and they could do a lot worse than giving Sasho the control he wants and seeing what happens.

25. Baron52

Baron52 Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Deacs 2 vs Cleveland State 1