The ACC in 2011

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Aug 30, 2011.

1. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Bid&Offer

Bid&Offer Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Nobody seems to know why. All a little confused. He was center back past 2 hrs and now Briz wants him as striker. Go figure..

3. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Duke goes down on a golden goal for the second consecutive match, going down 0-1 to SMU early in the first OT. Duke had virtually no meaningful possession in the SMU half in the first 15 minutes and then proceeded to dominate the match for the next 55 or so minutes. They hit the post, had a blazing header cleared off the line, and many other good chances but couldn't finish. The last 15 to 20 minutes saw them fade with SMU getting more possession and a few chances, but they still had several good chances.

4. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
  5. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maryland's win over Radford marked Sasho Cirovski's 300th career win.

Great milestone for a great coach.

6. EasternWatch

EasternWatch Member

Sep 4, 2006
    I was in attendance for the Maryland-Stanford and Maryland-Radford games this past weekend.

Maryland didn't need to even push the gas pedal after the first 45 minutes against Stanford. Very impressive first half, especially in terms of technique and combination play.

The Radford game was one of those games necessary for UMD's team character. It wasn't pretty for Maryland fans, as Radford actually started the first 10 minutes on the attack, and the second half saw Radford hit the post and bounce on several loose balls before eventually closing the score to the 2-1 end result. From my perspective, the highlight for Maryland in the match was the shooting precision of Patrick Mullins, who nicely drove a ball into the top netting from the edge of the penalty area. Since he's a big guy, he can be a target forward for post play and distribution that will give other teams problems. Though he might not have been on the score sheet, the Maryland player who left a good impression in my head was freshman Alex Shinsky. He showed outstanding precision with the ball and kept possession for his team. None of his passes were anywhere near places that Radford could challenge for.

When UNC plays Maryland, expect a hell of a game.

7. maccatheman

maccatheman New Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Best two teams in the nation so far...(albeit early)....UNC and Maryland...those two fighting it out for the ACC and the national championship...Akron good but these two at the moment are further ahead and with experience...getting players like Schuler etc back gives UNC the edge...

8. tman1

tman1 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Schuler of UNC is outstanding no doubt about it and they get Md at home this year. Another UNC advantage. But Maryland seems to have UNC number more often than not. This Maryland team hasn't come close to putting it together yet.

Despite the loses of Cassel, Cortes,Rodkey, and Ethan White, this Maryland team that Sasho has out there is faster and more athletic than last year. Sunny Jane and Wynder Saint Cyr brings back memories to this linesman of Jeremy Hall and Rodney Wallace. Those two kids bring the extra gear that other teams so far can't match on Maryland's right side. And Sasho hasn't even started to using the heralded freshman class. I just found out that Shinsky is not 100 % healthy though he's playing. That explains things to me because when I've watched the kid (and I've seen 2 of his games) I haven't seen the skill set from this guy to warrant the top recruit label. The ironic part is the kid Kyle Roach , true frosh from Pennington NJ will probably RS this year but that kid is going to be outstanding.

Good test this week for Maryland this week with a hot Boston College team come to town.

9. maccatheman

maccatheman New Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good Point- Maryland have had UNC's number down to the fact that they can also 'win ugly' when necessary..UNC teams of recent times have struggled to grind it out...Things might change with Carlos in charge...but it will be interesting to see what happens as the season moves on.....BC are a good team and so it will be an interesting early test with Charlie Rugg giving teams everything they can handle..

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Clemson-UNC Greensboro was rained out and will be made up TBA.

Here are the current records and the week ahead as the teams get into conference play, with State being the odd man out this week.

Code:
    Boston College – 	4-0-0	0-0-0	12 GF, 2 GA 
    Maryland – 		4-0-0	0-0-0	12 GF, 2 GA
    North Carolina – 	3-0-0 	0-0-0	10 GF, 3 GA
    Virginia – 		3-1-0	0-0-0	12 GF, 4 GA
    NC State – 		2-1-1	0-0-0	3 GF, 1 GA
    Clemson –	 	1-1-0	0-0-0	3 GF, 2 GA
    Duke – 			1-3-0	0-0-0	5 GF, 7 GA
    Virginia Tech – 	1-2-0 	0-0-0	3 GF, 4 GA
    Wake Forest – 		0-2-1	0-0-0	0 GF, 4 GA
    FRIDAY
    Virginia @Duke
    Boston College @Maryland
    Clemson @Wake Forest

SATURDAY
    Richmond @NC State
    North Carolina @Virginia Tech

Very intrigured to see BC-Maryland. As dominant as the Terps have been, the Eagles have identical numbers, though their schedule hasn't been quite so hard. Should be a very good match and a good test to see if BC is for real.

Virginia-Duke is always interesting and the Dookies record is misleading, having dropped two OT games to good teams and losing a one-goal game to a UNCG team that made the NCAAs a year ago. At the same time, Virginia is finally getting healthy and for the first time this year had Brian Ownby healthy to go with Bates and Spann up top and the Cavs scored 4 goals on a good Wisconsin team.

The other interesting matchup is Wake-Clemson. Both teams are looking to bounce back after recent struggles. Wake has yet to score in three games but they've played a tough slate so far while Clemson rebounded from an opening loss to dominate South Carolina. Eventually, Wake will score some goals and I suspect it will be this week against the Tigers.

Finally, I'm not expecting much from Tech and the Heels, though it is a home game for the Hokies and UNC is coming off a big W over Louisville so their might be a let-down. If there isn't, I don't see this game being close.

11. 24Seven

24Seven Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pink elephant in the room on him is he gets injured ALOT. He is very talented, but what may hinder him at MD is how many games he actually gets to play at 100%. His track record indicates less than the majority of games. He may be at his best right now this year because the physical pounding, even for the ACC, against older, stronger, faster players has not kicked into full gear just yet. He's used to playing hurt, so that's a plus. Hopefully he can develop more and shake the tag of #1 recruit without too much stigma. The bigger concern is his defense. A couple of slide tackling fouls he's given really should have been carded but he was fortunate. It almost seems like he is still catching up to the speed of the game, thus the dangerous fouls that have come into play.

12. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kyle Roach logged minutes against Radford on Sunday, so that's the end of the RS talk most likely.

While the current lineup has been doing well, Sasho tends to get a lot out of his bench.

That hasn't changed this year, with Jereme Raley, Jordan Cyrus, and Shinsky seeing a lot of time with other guys getting handfuls of minutes here and there.

I like our chances against BC.

13. CCUNC07

CCUNC07 Member

May 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This is true. Nevertheless, last season UNC won at College Park before falling in an ACC Championship game that was not without controversy. And this was without a key player in Schuler.

At this point in the season I'm not sure any team has fully come together.
    Still, North Carolina has an experienced, deep team this season. UMD is always class - and clearly at the top of the ACC with UNC - but I have a feeling, as long as they can avoid more injuries, UNC is going to be a tough out for any team this season.

14. tman1

tman1 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    Last years game with UNC and Maryland was at Chapel Hill if my memory serves me right was at UNC as a North Carolina's midfielder (player who transfer in to UNC from the West coast whose name escapes me and has now left) beat Maryland with a blast. Glad to see that midfielder leave. He was a talent.

T.

15. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, last year's game was in Chapel Hill.

The athleticism of the Terps is not to be forgotten. Patrick Mullins is clearly a serviceable replacement for Jason Herrick at the top, and Sunny Jane can be a fantastic creator on the wings.

16. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    UVa 1
    Duke 0

Wake 2
    Clemson 1

17. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maryland tops Boston College 4-0.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Really good win for the Cavs. (Actually, any road win in the ACC is a good win.) Duke is just snakebit with these one-goal losses.

Nice to see the Deacs get off the schneid, both in terms of a W and goals.

Daam, Terps are scary this year. Averaging over 3 goals a game and still playing solid D.

19. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terps got another goal from Townsend, two more from Mullins, and a 30-yard rocket from Taylor Kemp.

20. cultureman

cultureman Member

Aug 2, 2005
    This may be the most balanced terp team in a while. I expect the Acc to be quite competitive this year.

21. xpowerout

xpowerout Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's certainly not impossible to see North Carolina and Maryland be a #1 vs. #2 game on October 21. Both teams visit Virginia before then, as well as playing Duke at home. Maryland also has visits from Charlotte (#21 in the current NSCAA poll) and Creighton (#5) in late September. Convincing wins over Charlotte and Creighton might vault the Terps to a top ranking as the schedule moves into October.

/slightly homer post

22. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
    2011 Wake Forest Men's Soccer
    Clemson vs Wake Forest (Sep 09, 2011 at Winston-Salem, N.C.)

Clemson (1-2-0) 1
    Wake Forest (1-2-1) 2
    Date: Sep 09, 2011 Attendance: 2932

SCORING SUMMARY
    Goal Time Team Goal Scorer Assists Description
    1. 0:24 CU Amadou Dia (2) Bryniar Benediktsson Header off cross
    2. 32:28 WF Tolani Ibikunle (1) Teddy Mullin Free kick finished in the box
    3. 42:52 WF Sean Randolph (1) Jared Watts

Good to see Wake bear down and come up with the W after giving one up VERY early

2011 Duke Men's Soccer
    #24 Virginia vs Duke University (Sep 09, 2011 at Durham, N.C.)

Virginia (4-1-0,1-0-0 ACC) 1

Duke University (1-4-0,0-1-0 ACC) 0

Attendance: 1728
    Weather: 81 degrees and cloudy, wind SSE at 5 mph

SCORING SUMMARY:
    GOAL Time Team Goal Scorer Assists Description
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. 1:49 VA Brian Span (2) Will Bates Touched in from six yards after cross

LaCivita stepped up and made a big save to his left to preserve the 1-0 shutout on a Duke pk in the 88th min

Maryland Soccer 2011
    #8 Boston College vs #2 Maryland Terrapins (Sep 09, 2011 at College Park, Md.)

Boston College (4-1-0) 0

Maryland Terrapins (5-0-0) 4

Attendance: 4244
    Weather: overcast, muggy, soggy conditions

SCORING SUMMARY:
    GOAL Time Team Goal Scorer Assists Description
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. 9:03 MD Casey Townsend (5) Sunny Jane 20 yards, volley
    2. 46:14 MD Patrick Mullins (4) Sunny Jane 8 yards, blast to keeper's right
    3. 60:15 MD Patrick Mullins (5) Alex Shinsky; Jordan Cyrus off flick, 5 yards
    4. 70:22 MD Taylor Kemp (1) (unassisted) 30 yard right-footed strike to upper 90

23. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    From the very little I have seen of Sunny Jane at Maryland this year he has impressed me. Also hoping Casey Townsend stays healthy and continues scoring at this pace. Liked him since first set foot on the Maryland campus.

24. tman1

tman1 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    I don't believe there is a more exciting (make that dangerous) player in the ACC than Sunny Jane. Keith Tabasnick (former Georgetown soccer coach)said it best one night on Fox Sports station about the dynamo. "There isn't a defensive college player around that can stop this kid one on one. Other teams will have to double down on Sunny.". Amazing right now Sunny Jane hasn't scored yet but had two beautiful assists for Maryland last night in the demolishing of BC.

Tman