The absurd facts about venezuelan soccer...

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by loloy_vinotinto, Mar 26, 2003.

1. loloy_vinotinto

loloy_vinotinto New Member

Mar 22, 2003
    Maracaibo, Venezuela
    The highly regarded and praised coach of Venezuela's national squad, Richard Paez Monzon, has been recently confirmed as coach (not loneger then 2 weeks a go) after beeing on the outs with the venezuelan soccer federation (FVF) after he had been publiclly critized and ridiculed by high ranking members of the federation.
    The comments included a reference to Venezuela's highly controversial president Hugo Chavez, in wich a particular member of the FVF compared Paez to Chavez, alleging that the coach has employed tactics similar to the president, and survived only on lies and unkept and false promises.
    Tensions came to their boiling point after some members of the FVF board had considered implementing a censorship on the coach, wich consisted on not allowing Richard Paez to make comments to the press without consent of the FVF and his comments would have to be previously aproved by th FVF.
    Another problem is that currently Richard Paez presides over, not only the men's absolute national team, but also over the U-23 and U-21 Venezuela teams.
    A key point that had enraged Paez was the confirmation of an international friendly vs. Chile in Santiago with out his knowledge. Ultimatly this game was cancelled by Paez since he didn't consider it convinient.
    After numerous meetings, an agreement was reached and everyone was happy (or at least it seems that way).

The absurd fact on the fans.
    Caracas (capital of Venezuela) is home to 2 of the most succesful clubs in Venezuelan soccer in the present years, reigning Apertura champions Caracas FC and 2nd placed (in the same Apertura) Deportivo Italchacao.
    Inspite of this, fan attendance is an average of 200 to 500 people, reaching it's peak at 2,000 people rarely.
    But the absurd comes now: there are more fans going to the Venezuela national team practices (being held in Caracas at the moment in view of their upcoming match vs. the US) then tehy ever have for the club's games. This is absurd because there are 4 players (highest number of players from the same club) in the roster that play for Italchacao and many of the foreign based players have recently played with Caracas FC.
    Sure, this is good for the national team since it serves as motivation for their upcoming friendlies, but this is yet another example that Venezuela may get good results with the national team, but club soccer will probably never grow.... oh well...

Striker Juan Garcia on a hot streak...
    Veteran striker Juan Garcia (currently playing for Mineros FC) has found his old scoring shape. In the recently started Clausura championship in Venezuela, Garcia has scored 9 goals in 6 games (compared to his 6 in the Apertura) including a 5 goal rampage in a game vs Carabobo FC, and more recently a hat-trick agaisnt Deportivo Tachira.
    I must advice that personally he is not my favorite player, actually I consider him to be an over-rated and now over-the-hill hack.
    He's likely to start and lead the Venezuela attack.

Other interesting facts:
    The US soccer federation allegedly paid 50,000 US dollars to the FVF for the soccer friendly.
    Venezuela leaves for Seattle tomorrow at 10:30 am (local time) from Caracas.

2. JuanArango82

JuanArango82 New Member

Mar 22, 2003
    Guatire, Venezuela
    OK, man this is too much information this thread its more adequate in the South American Conmebol board.

Most people here don't need to know about FVF-Paez soap opera. Juan Garcia hot streat its pretty interesting he should make a nice replacement for Moran.

3. todda74

todda74 New Member

Nov 4, 2001
    Annapolis
    the US federation payed Venezuela to play in the friendly? Is that not supposed to happen? That's why national teams play friendlies, to make money. As well as the competition.
    Also I would expect the US Fed to pay something to any team that agreed to play because of the short notice. and 50k is not that much anyway.

4. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    Good dirt! I think that in any national team program, if you dig enough, you will be able to find a major power struggle between the federation and the coaches, or the players. Remember when the US players threatened to walk out of a tournament (Harkes, Ramos, etc. Copa America? I can't remember) because they felt they were being treated unfairly by the federation?

5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. This is good stuff and much appreciated, loloy_vinotinto. In the States, it's awfully hard to find any substantive news reports at all on these friendlies, much less anything providing background details on opponents.

6. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Re: Re: The absurd facts about venezuelan soccer...

He forgot to said that VENEZUELAN play with a CELL PHONE ON THE FIELD and they all have PEDICURE.....

7. loloy_vinotinto

Mar 22, 2003
    Maracaibo, Venezuela
    Re: Re: Re: The absurd facts about venezuelan soccer...

??? please explain...

8. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Re: Re: Re: Re: The absurd facts about venezuelan soccer...

No explanation needed, just tune in to any VENEZUELAN SOAP OPERA!!!

9. White Shark

White Shark Red Card

Mar 20, 2003
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The absurd facts about venezuelan soccer...

What did I said about this people!
    [​IMG]

10. White Shark

White Shark Red Card

Mar 20, 2003
    Re: Re: Re: The absurd facts about venezuelan soccer...

hummmm, How do you know that?
    [​IMG]

11. White Shark

White Shark Red Card

Mar 20, 2003

Money for me has to do with USA wining this match.
    [​IMG]

12. loloy_vinotinto

Mar 22, 2003
    Maracaibo, Venezuela
    White Shark:
    "Money for me has to do with USA wining this match."

as much as I would love to belive this... I don't think so..

13. White Shark

White Shark Red Card

Mar 20, 2003
    Yes, you´re right. Venezuela is the Cinderella of football (and we should know how hard is to develope any sport, even baseball, in that country) and USA has many years participating in WC, and as I´m not arrogant as they, it was fair they won.
    Another point : Why Julio Alvarez doesn´t play for La Vinotinto? He´s a good Venezuelan player in La Liga.
    Better we move to the South American forum where we belong, not here.
    [​IMG]