The 6+5 idea

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by The Potter, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7421348.stm

Do you think it's a good idea? How would it affect the national team.

While it will probably never happen (due to European Law) I do happen to think it's a good idea.

- I think it's great for the game in this country to have a good national team, see Italia '90 and Euro '96 for examples.

-It forces clubs to give English players a chance rather than ship in ready made French (or whatever) en masse.

-It stops clubs like Arsenal taking the piss. With their youth and senior teams

-It forces clubs to genuinely go out and develop their own talent rather than just play lip-service.

-I also hope it makes league football in this country more fluid like it was before the foreign invasion, but I suspect that's more down to the Champions League.

While many of the better players in Serie A are foreign the crux of the league is Italian which is something I really admire, we seem to be lagging way behind.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/7417746.stm

Flame away.

2. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Sounds like a good rule that could gradually be phased in.
    But yeah ,It wont happen because of European laws .You cant restrict employment in the EU.

Right now ,most teams could cope with the rule .We all know which teams would get torpedoed by it.
    Scotland has improved alot since their teams were forced to develop home talent through financial reasons .

3. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rangers have definitely improved Scottish Football by bringing through and persisting with their youngsters after running out of money to sign as many foreigners.

Although I suspect they will adopt the UEFA version which means homegrown players rather than specific nationalities. That may just mean more young players from abroad being brought in.

4. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Why not just stop keeping score so no feelings are hurt.

The top sides will buy up all the top English talent, same in other leagues, top foreign talent will sell for bazillions of quid and the gap between have and have nots will grow exponentially.

The quality of football and interest will decline as you will no longer have the best built teams on merit with great players interacting but just teams put togeather per the rules with weak links, and rising global interest will stagnate.

And as less players will have a chance to play with and learn from top players, and oppurtunities to go abroad and play with and learn from players and countrys' various styles from different countrys dwindle, the quality of football worldwide will suffer and become more compartmentalized.

Global interest in the top 4 to 5 Leagues will fall off as there are less connections and quality, so tv money will become more national based and fall off thus removing a lot of money out of the game hurting the smaller clubs even more and hurting the funds to develop the game, coaching and the development and oppurtunity of young players.

It is an inherently unfair, bigoted and ridiculous idea.

So I'm on the fence:D

p.s. Some of England's FA suits, $epp Blather and many other nations need to stop worring about changing the rules to bring the game down to them and focus on dramatically improving their own youth and coaching development.

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The point is this rule will help out the coaching and development of young players, as clubs will be forced to devote more resources to it, rather than spending so much money on agent fees and overseas scouts.

The fact is with 5 spots in the team for foreigners there will still be plenty of room for the top stars that will attract global fans and also influence the younger players coming up. It is only the fringe foreigners who will be removed, the backups and squad players signed because they were cheaper or had more experience.

Bad news for US soccer fans, kills any reason for signing an American player as there is only room for top stars. However good news for English fans, more room for domestic players and more resources devoted to youth development.

The only clubs that will suffer will be the likes of Fulham, who only survive in the league by signing cutprice foreigners. Will be good to get rid of them and replace them with clubs like Crystal Palace and Southampton who have more of a focus on youth development.

6. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Frankly those are piss poor arguments.

Their are genuine reasons why this might be a bad idea, particularly from a moral and logistic standpoint but I'm not having things like

"and the gap between have and have nots will grow exponentially."

Certainly not from a Chelsea fan. (no offense to any other Chelsea fans btw)

7. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Yes Chelsea, as well as ManU, who has spent a penny or two in their time, as well as Liverpool, who had quite a shoping spree last summer, Arse though they prefer kidnapping youth, will spend huge money to go 2-3 deep on English and home-grown talent developed by smaller clubs hence the gap will likely widen as the smaller clubs will not be able to afford to keep the top English players nor will they be able to go overseas to fill the gap.

Ooohh American players suck, Chelsea is the first club to ever spend money in England, such fresh and insightful discourse.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

What?

Your arguments were terrible and your reply incomprehensible. Sort yourself out.

9. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  10. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Discriminating on the basis of nationality in the EU? Won't happen; the first legal challenge will see to that. Surely, Blatter must have another job than only trying to rein in the Premiership although it must have been a jolly out there in Australia.

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    its a decent idea. but so is marxism

it wont work in practice

if the number was lessened it might work but when u have to pay 30 million for rooney and rio when u can get toure for 500k and ade for about 8 million then it sortve puts this idea intoperspective

12. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Buying foreign makes more sense.

It's a daft idea, typical of Blatter and his obsession with making big, meaningless announcements despite knowing the practicalities of the idea are totally prohibitive. God forbid he ever does a real day's work, the big fat tosser.

Besides, it's not about foreigners, it's about youth. A club could field 11 foreigners, as long as six of them were products of their youth academy. The major clubs of Europe already spend millions a year on buying young talent up from around the globe, this would just accelerate under this proposal. Impact on national teams would be negligible.

13. purpleronnie

purpleronnie New Member

May 29, 2006
    Agreed the problem we have is the english academies coach and develop all the young talent from around the world, these same players end up beating england.

Our academies should concentrate on british talent.

14. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia

not under this fifa rule. there would have to be 6 players starting that are eligible for the national team of the country they play in.

15. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Why? Our academies don't owe the national team anything. It's the FA's role to manage the development of the best English youngsters. Which is a pity, because as the farce surrounding the proposed National Football Centre in Burton-on-Trent shows, the FA couldn't organise itself out of a used hanky.

Top clubs will bring in the best talent they can find and won't be checking passports. Nor should they. If we want a good England side, we need to make sure that the coaching, personal development and culture of the game for youngsters in this country are being intelligently handled by the governing body of the game in this country. The FA neither deserves a free pass on this issue and nor would it benefit from one.

16. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let's try to keep this volatile topic from having a BLEVE..

17. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    English football teams with Spanish managers and Spanish players? French managers buying French players? It's all a bit racist if you ask me.

I, for one, can't wait 'till it blows up in their fat faces, you watch the French and the Spanish run away then, a new river could be formed in England, it's source, the tears of bleary eyed scousers.

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    maybe the rule should be all english players at academy level, no foreigners?

19. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have to say I find the whole discussion about the EU not allowing it a bit laughable due to the players being 'workers', ffs. The whole basis of the existing football contract system and it's relation to cup competitions like the champions league, for example, (where players aren't allowed to play for a side when they've already played for another side in the same competition), is a contract in restraint of trade, i.e. a workers right to 'work' for an employee. So he's allowed to work for them as long as he doesn't play for them???... and yet the EU can do nothing about it.

Why is this that much different?

In any event, as far as I'm concerned it's not about the England side and how well they do, (although that's a factor as well). It's about making the connection between the players and the fans. Frankly I don't particularly want to watch a load of foreigners running around kicking a ball about.

Have a few, sure! But not an entire team.

What I find hilarious on here is when people keep on saying they're not bothered about where the players on their side come from... but if anyone dares to question the quality of their own particular favourite player, (who, of course, just HAPPENS to be English, French, German or whatever :rolleyes:) they go ape-shit.

I've supported Chelsea for a very long time but I freely admit I didn't have the same feeling for them when we were putting out a team of foreigners and, let's be honest, although foreign players profess their undying love for their team when they're playing for us they soon bugger off when things start going pear-shaped. You just don't tend to get that with the British lads and it's not because they're inherently any better or more upright then the foreign lads... it's for the simple reason they're playing in front of their muns, dads, brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles and cousins and the people they went to school with.

For the foreign lads it tends to be more a question of just being a job because they're not from the culture they play in.

I'm not naive enough to think that's why Blather's saying it... he's saying it because it gets some attention and because, if he CAN do it, it will cut some of the ground from under the more powerful clubs in Europe, (who just happen to be English now... let me think! How does this work? :rolleyes:), but I think it's a good idea anyway.

Not that it will come to anything.

20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's what's so laughable... we have the EU imposing rules and regulations to protect workers right but when it's kids they can shipped across europe, (indeed, the world), for the benefit of huge corporations which is what football clubs are nowadays.

What a fecking joke!!!

21. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    fifa did ban international transfers of U-18 players a few years ago.

the rule doesn't apply within the eu , though.

22. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The vast majority of players at most academies are english in any case. It appears not to have solved the problem we apparently have.

I firmly believe that it has to do with the culture here. I posted Redknapp's comments as an illustration. English youngsters are just mini-me's of their established older role models, after all. Much like foreign youngsters are of theirs. And whilst there is still a difference in mentality and focus (and there is, albeit a shrinking one) then we'll always have that really fundamental deficit.

And in that particular regard, having the likes of Fabregas around can only be a benefit to any aspiring domestic players.

23. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Blatter, being a lawyer, knows this kite won't fly, unlike most who have jumped onto his bandwagon. Listening to Blatherer in Australia, it's clear that his objective is to rein in the Premiership and for that he intends to recruit as many of those with green tints in their eyes, within and without these shores, as possible alongside those who with a whimsical yearning for the "gold old days". Other nations have since improved since 1966, you know.

The whole debate is actualy shifting attention, conveniently for some I dare say, from the more profound reasons behind England’s relative failure-- relative because others have improved while we have largely stagnated. Why is it easier for a foreign lad to come to England and join any football club, for example, while a local-- as in British-- cannot join a team which is more than an hour's drive from his home? Beckham, under today's FA rules, couldn't have joined Man U. Also, is there something inherent in our system which holds back skilful kids? I can think of those born later in the year (and therefore being smaller and younger at school) being discriminated against and ultimately never being considered. At school, Michael Owen was reportedly favoured over Steven Gerrard because, being born earlier, he was bigger than the latter. Indeed, Gerrrad never played for England Schools mainy because of that. But then these questions are too taxing and will threaten the vested interests of some (heard that one before, eh?); better to focus on specious arguments flighted by "echelons beyond" and shout loudly, and for as long as possible, about the foreign invasion.

24. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    I think they should ban english players from the premiership until they can learn to play football properly. Cart them all off to a training camp and teach them to play 5 a side so they can control the ball and learn not to lose it. Meanwhile they can watch the foreign players on the telly and observe how to play the game properly.

25. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    They'd only end up getting drunk and losing vast sums to each other betting on the outcome.