The 5,000th MLS Goal

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by scaryice, Jun 30, 2005.

1. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    14 goals tonight; 49 to 5,000.

2. HjkF50

HjkF50 New Member

May 1, 2005
    NOVA
    i hope it is august 6 , i'd love to have a Metro score #5,000 and beat FCD at pizza hut park for their debut on my birthday :)

3. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Somebody should tell MLS about this. With this being Season 10, they're finally starting to try to sell the league's history. I would think they'd like to make some hay about the 5,000th goal.

4. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. J-League did something to hype up their 10,000th goal by having a contest for the masses this season. I'm not sure what the prize was but there was a big deal about who would guess the scorer of the 10,000th goal.

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I emailed Jeff Bradley about it last week, let's see if he mentions it.

6. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting thread. This is definitely a good publicity opportunity. Didn't MLS team up with the Elias Sports Bureau a while back? I'm sure they could confirm all the numbers and give the league the info it needs to create some hype.

I remember the EPL having some award for a goal as well -- I think it might have been the 10,000th, but I'm not sure. It'd be neat if MLS did something similar, like give the goalscorer $5,000.

7. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Especially since their park will be opening at around the time this goal is scored, Pizza Hut should jump on board with this, offering free slices to the first 5,000 fans at the next home game of the team that scores the 5000th goal.

And Sierra Mist, too, since a beverage would be nice. If we could get an auto company to sponsor the league, that'd be great, since I could use a new ride, too.

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS really needs to talk to Hugh Hefner about sponsorship.

9. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    MLS All Stars vs Playboy Bunnies All Star Game live on the Playboy Channel

10. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129299

I made a thread on this a year ago, actually. I predicted the 86th game of this season to produce the 5000th goal. That game has come and gone already. I believe we are standing at 4954 currently. Should be pretty interesting.

I did e-mail MLS about the situation last year and never received a response. :(

11. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Yes, we are now 46 away after last night's game.

12. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Down to 30 after the five games tonight.

13. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    With eleven games left before the all star break, there's a good chance this will happen in July.

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a big picture, so I linked it, but the Chicago Fire has Honda logos on their jerseys.

http://photos.matchnight.com/gallery/DonMacGregor/0_Chicago_Fire_vs_DC_United/29_afterwords.jpg

15. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    24 goals to 5,000 after tonight. There's an outside chance it could happen this weekend.

16. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Down to 23 after tonight.

There's five games today, and two on Wednesday. Then the allstar break. Looks like we'll probably have to wait until August 8, but we'll see.

17. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Maybe the 5,000th will be an own-goal! :)

18. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    when's the next time LA plays san jose?

19. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Saturday, August 27... ... San Jose's turn for the own goal (s)!! :p

20. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    14 goals tonight, bringing us to 4,991, only 9 away from the magical mark.

Two games on Wednesday:

MET-DAL
    NE-LA

Then, a full slate on August 8th, starting with the 6pm ET RSL-CHV game on espn2. The stadium opener in Frisco is now listed as TBD for the time. Interesting...

21. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

a pair of 3-2 games would do the trick. Are the Gold Cup players going to be back in time for these Wednsday games?

22. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    Bump.

Thought this thread was interesting and there's a chance MLS could see it's 5000th regular season goal tonight. If Scary is correct, we're 9 goals away from that milestone.

MetroStars - Dallas and Revs - Galaxy kick off in about 3 hours.

23. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the teams that are playing I expect two low scoring affairs...but I also would never have thought Chivas could beat NE, or RSL could hang three on FCD.

24. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? FCD and NE lead the league in scoring offense. Metro and LA are middle-of-the-pack.

Just for fun, I'll predict 3-3 in the FCD/Muts, and 2-1 NE over LA.

And since 1)the final goals in both games will be scored after the 80th minute and 2) only the NE/LA game will be televised, there will be tremendous controversy over which goal is actually the 5,000th goal, the likes of which has never been seen on these boards ! :D

25. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They do? Don't tell the Fire that.
    That's a tough call to make, controversy resulting in meltdown happens quite often in these parts.