The 3 Away goals thread!!!!!

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by newterp, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    In.

When the first goal goes in we can really start to believe.

We don't even have to be perfect at the back. 3-1 sends it to extra time.

2. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That's the good news. The mountain is still three, even if we concede.

If we pull this off it'll be, in my view, more shocking than Istanbul because Chelsea have 6 days, not 15 minutes, to plot, plan, and scheme the best way to nurse the lead. Plus, in Istanbul, no one was at home.

There can be no salvation without great peril.

3. ulNevrWalkAlone

ulNevrWalkAlone New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Hold on to hope, thats what Liverpool is all about...Walk on, Walk on, with HOPE in your heart, AND YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!

4. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I disagree about the Istanbul part. In Istanbul we were dead and buried at halftime. Milan were a better team than us. We had Traore at left back. Milan Barros was our only striker, and Cisse was our only option off the bench. We only had 45 minutes to erase a 3 goal deficit. That was truly a miracle.

This is more doable (although still unlikely). We have 6 days and a league game to regroup ourselves. We have Fernando Torres in our team. Our fans and our players all believe we are better than Chelsea after haven done the double of them in the league. We need a great performance to overturn this deficit, but not necessarily a miracle.

5. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

Plus, three goals in 45 minutes is more difficult than 3 goals in 90 minutes. Let's not forget that John Terry is suspended as well.

6. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think about it this way as well. 2-1 at Stamford Bridge doesn't seem too ridiculous. Let's say we are up 2-1 with 75-80 minutes left. It could get crazy.

7. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we score 2 goals in 10-15 minutes, I'd be very happy! ;)

8. Morsello

Morsello New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    3-0 is definitely do-able. There confidence/foolishness call it what you will, will be high though. We need Masch to start too.

9. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We only need to score 1 to send it into extra time. From there, we hold onto penalties, and then it is Pepe to the rescue.

10. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Many, many, many, many.......Many years ago, actually 44 years ago this month. I went to Anfield for our very first real European season and our most memorable "European Night" We were playing in the semi final of the European cup against Internazionale Milano, the top team in Europe arguably the world at that time. They were coming to show the upstart newcomer Liverpool how the game was played.
    We all knew how that went down don't we. Milan went home to meet their fans and tomatoes, totally shell shocked. Losing out 3 - 1...!

We on the other hand were elated, on top of the world, we were going to win the Euopean cup for the first time on our first try. BBC had a reporter 'embedded' with a flight of scousers going down and the reporter asked one of them. "Do liverpool have a chance?" His reply was almost totally beeped out as the fan lit into him for asking such a stupid question.........

We lost that second leg 3 - 0 and the semi final 4-3. You all knew that, so what's the lesson here.

A 3-1 first leg can be overcome and if you want to know which team can do that....just hold the line!!!!!

11. drobny23

drobny23 Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Some of you, this means you Suss, think Istanbul would be a better come back story than lighting up the Bridge for 3. Suss makes some great arguments. I confess he's actually convinced me.

Let's hope the next thread is titled: Better Comeback: Bridge v Istanbul?

12. webaph

webaph New Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I honestly think it's very doable. The players just need to keep their concentration and not lose it after getting a goal, which is pretty much what happened in the first leg.

13. puenteviesgo

puenteviesgo New Member

Apr 10, 2009
    Puente viesgo
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Win or Lose...We are still LIVERPOOL

14. blanconi

blanconi Member+

Aug 25, 2008
    This could potentially be a very entertaining game. I am assuming we'll be very offensively minded and that could open up the game.
    A goal or two early on in the first half should get it started... the whole spectable that is.

Either way, win or lose, the only thing I have no interest in is seeing the scrubs park the bus.

15. LiverMorgh

LiverMorgh Member

May 29, 2007
    Think about it like this; is it really strange for the scoreline to read Liverpool 3 - 1 Chelsea? I think it's hardly out of the ordinary when you look at the amount of chances we've created in the past month and a half.

Liverpool have to start guns blazing and I am hoping to see one or two Gerrard juggernauts from distance.

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well put! Here's hoping we are the Inter from your story. :)

I can't help quote Maximus in the calvary charge scene at the beginning of "Gladiator" while adding some ad libs...

"hold the line, stay with me...if you find yourself [never walking] alone with the sun on your face, do not be troubled for you are in [the CL semifinals] and you're already [through!]

;)

17. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In it to win it.

I hope they were just trying to up they drama factor.:eek:

18. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would keep with the theme of the season wouldn't it?!

:)

19. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How dare this thread slip down a notch.

Three goals are for **************, I say 5 and all in the first half.

Then we can let off the gas and give them a few corners to get our practice in at zonal marking.

Come on you Reds!

20. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we got 4.

Ugh.