The 2024 U-23 Player Pool Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by David Kerr, Feb 15, 2021.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I'm mostly think Gomez will get invited to the U20 camp or the full national team camp before he would go to a U23 camp in September.

You could however invite his older brother whose age eligible and I can't imagine it hurts to have him in the fold.

You could also try and recruit an Amir Richardson or at least try to get him into camp at least.

Boysinblue and gogorath repped this.
  2. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I think there's still a decent chance the USMNT (and El Tri) get invited to the 2024 Copa America.

There'll be at least 2 invited guests, and CONMEBOL has floated the idea of inviting 6 to make it a 16 team tourney.

One guest spot probably already belongs to Qatar.

3. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a bad list. I still think Nathan Harriel is better than Gray by quite a bit.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  4. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah, just providing a starting point to get the lists going!

3/5 for overage: Pulisic, McKennie, Richards, Turner, Adams

5. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd use the over-age players at center back, striker, and Weston McKennie.

6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I think that we should go traditional path: keeper, LB, CB.
    No clue whether let say Tessmann/Busio/Morris/Bassett are better than Paxten/Alvarado today and nobody knows what happens in 2 years. Reyna/Musah etc. are grown ass men that should forget about all youth tournaments. Otherwise someone will come with an idea to scratch Paxten and take Brenden instead.

7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we get invited as a guest team, are clubs required to release players for it?

8. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I believe only if CONCACAF approves it, would basically be like Centenario. And with Copa America now being even years, no Gold Cup those summers.

xbhaskarx, gogorath and gomichigan24 repped this.
  9. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theoretically, we COULD start speculating about the 2028 Olympic roster, since we're already qualified... ;):rolleyes::ROFLMAO::thumbsup::whistling:

10. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cavan Sullivan, LET’S GOOOO!

dan96man, gomichigan24, ielag and 2 others repped this.
  11. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"In addition to the U-20 World Cup and Olympic Games, if past criteria* prevail, the USMNT has also qualified for the Pan American Games of Santiago 2023. Anyway we will see if they participate, because the last time they qualified (2019) US Soccer declined. The more camps, the better."

Looks like a great tune-up opportunity

ielag, Eighteen Alpha, SCSAutism and 5 others repped this.
  12. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aidan’s getting better and better each week as he gets more comfortable on his knee. But with that being said I’m not sure if he really is a fits what fans want to profile as a 6, he’s more of an 8. He may have the talent to push into the discussion as an 01 in the pool at the 8 but that’s our best spot so he’ll have to really trend up for a while

gogorath and TheFalseNine repped this.
  13. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    One thing to keep in mind with the Olympic roster and overage slots is that there will be very few opportunities for meaningful matches in the next cycle due to the US not having to qualify. So maximizing first choice senior team players on the Olympic roster should absolutely be a priority.

14. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I imagine USsoccer will try but getting clubs to release players will be the issue. That's going to be a tricky situation, some clubs may play ball, some may not. They certainly won't want to do it.

15. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    This gives me nightmares of a McBride still recovering from injury and getting the starting gig over freaking Jozy, and Davies after the later obliterated the former in drills (to the extent that some former youngsters like Feilhaber were laughing about it on a podcast).

We can use spots if we have big holes anywhere inn particular (Im thinking defense) but basically I want to see the best U23's, and only use vets in key spots where we really lack any options at all.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  16. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Do you remember which podcast?

17. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Well, the attacking overage players I'm thinking of will be about 25. The oldest guy might be like a 31 year old Walker Zimmerman or something?

McBride was 36 and done. Caden Clark or Kevin Paredes isn't likely to clown on that old dude, Christian Pulisic.

Tom Collingsworth and xbhaskarx repped this.
  18. NoHammiesAltidore

United States
    Jun 28, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most likely somewhere in the first two seasons of The Soccer Soup Podcast

Dough Boy repped this.
  19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF can make a case for releasing to U20 WC and Olympics by making deals that they will only call up for one event that summer. So would a team really care if their players is in U20 WC or Olympics instead of NL or Gold Cup?

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Yup.

I mean, this is two years from now. We'll think of this pool completely differently. Heck, we don't even know who the coaches of the Olympic team and USMNT will be in 2024.

But basically the USSF can work in overdrive to secure releases for the Olympics. It'll just mean that perhaps those guys probably won't be available for other events in the summer of 2024. And that's fine.

We were able to use guys in Europe and Mexico for the 2008 version.

That was a really unbalanced team. A team of central midfielders. Bradley, Holden, Feilhaber, Edu, Kljestan, McCarty, Szetela, etc. So we moved guys around, played guys out of position, etc.

Was it a mistake to use McBride? Probably. But our pool was different then than it is now. We brought McBride because we could get him, and he was viewed as a leader in that young group. Its hard to know, but I bet he had a positive influence with that group off the field.

We likely won't be bringing a player that age to this Olympics. Our USMNT right now is full of a bunch of 24 year olds who'll be in their primes 2 years from now. So maybe if we need a CB......................guys like Miles Robinson, Erik Palmer-Brown, Cameron Carter-Vickers, Mark McKenzie, etc. won't be getting opportunities with the full USMNT. Maybe the Olympics can be for them. We'll see. Its way out in the future.

21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the NL and Gold Cup isn’t the same summer as the Olympics. It also starts later and overlaps with much more of the preseason.

The problem with the U20 tournament is that it conflicts with the end of the European season (which is later this year because of the mid season World Cup).

Pegasus repped this.
  22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe in 2008 clubs were required to release players.

23. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Will be very had to cut the Olympics roster down to 18, and then down to 15 if three overage players are brought. I assume those born after Jan. 1 2001 will be eligible. Here are some of those in the player pool:

G: Slonina, Pulskamp, Borto

CB: Justin Che, ?

RB/LB: Scally, Paredes, Jonathan Gomez, Bryan Reynolds, Kobi Henry, George Bello

CM: Musah, Tillman, Cardoso, Tessman, Paxten Aaronsen, Leon Flach, Otasowie, Alex Mendez, Bryang Kayo

W: Reyna, Konrad De La Fuente, Busio, Bassett, Llanez

F: Pepi, Hoppe, Booth, Caden Clark, Cade Cowell, Sealy

There will be a plethora of talent to choose from. I don't think any of the u-20 roster that just qualified will end up actually playing in the Olympics, aside from maybe P. Aaronsen.

Most over-age help is needed at GK, center-back, and defensive-mid.

Most likely over-age players to be selected:
    Turner, Richards, Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Weah, Aaronsen, Dest.

So many options here. Will depend on who's in form, where the team has needs, and who wants to go. Playing an Olympics in France will be desirable for many. Others might want to skip to get a summer rest and to avoid injury.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  24. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Why are we still mentioning Owen Otasowie in this (or any other) context?

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He re-started his career this preseason with Club Brugge.