The 2024 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Jan 7, 2024.

1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would check your Xfinity bill. Here in Philly (their home base) they stopped including Peacock with the cable TV sub back in June of 2022. You may very well be getting charged $5-$7 / month for Peacock.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm aware. After they did that they offered it again for free as part of their Rewards tier, anyone who had Diamond(?) level or above could get it. That's why I mentioned it was free due to how long I've been with them.

SideshowBob, crookeddy and jaykoz3 repped this.
  3. MLSfan66

MLSfan66 Member

NYCFC
    United States
    Feb 3, 2023
    Loved the different starting times for games yesterday, I was able to watch all three. I watched 3 more on Saturday. Good start to the season.

Dyvel, crew2112, TheJoeGreene and 3 others repped this.
  4. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did people think about 360?

5. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Yep, me too. It was easy to sign up once the option was there.

MLSfan66 repped this.
  6. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just realized that Masters of the Air is also based on a book.

7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    #207 crookeddy, Feb 26, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    OK, can anyone explain why the hell the full replay of Galaxy vs Miami is removed from Apple TV? Every other game is there. What's going on? I thought I am getting lost in the dumb interface but I scrolled around everywhere I can think of, and its not in any of the places that other teams' games is.

Support is completely useless so far. I described the issue and they said "I see, you are having problems with your iphone. Please send a screenshot of your error".

First gen AI could do better than that! And then they sent me a link to general "problems streaming from Apple TV". Unbelievable. Clearly taking the product seriously.

8. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite was last year when they told me to try to use the AppleTV app after I told them I was having issues on Android. I asked for a link to download the app (even though I knew it didn't exist) and was told that it's available in the Apple App Store.

NorthBank repped this.
  9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yeah their support reps can only offer support to absolute noobs, Anything less than the average questions such as "how I download on iphone" leads to useless suggestions.

10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like they even failed on an average question. They should know that the AppleTV app is not available to Android users and they definitely don't have access via the Apple Store.

11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    They literally assume that every question is an iPhone question. Want to ask about Apple TV on chrome browser? They still think it's an iPhone question. What the heck? That's an unacceptable level of support for a company of any size, and just a disgrace for Apple.

12. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Save yourself the headache. Assume large corporations are of no help. Google the problem and you’ll find your answer. You’re not the first one that wondered that same question.

SideshowBob, Dyvel, SetPeace and 2 others repped this.
  13. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I mean even the famously horrible support at the cable company is better than this. They don't try to help you with TV when you ask about internet. Sure they just tell you to restart your modem, but at least they don't tell you to restart your cable box instead. This was just... laughable.

Anyway, searching for the answer is what I do 99.99% of the time, but when its a new issue like a missing game that happened yesterday, google won't help either.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having to have dealt with Comcast support multiple times in the last year, no they're not. They've out and out lied to me multiple times, costing me money (my bill is now higher with no change in service after having to unwind their lies).

Sounders78 repped this.
  15. NeilB

NeilB Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Mount Kisco, NY
    If you have an AppleTV and Airpods watch "Masters of the Air", using your Airpods for audio. The Atmos surround sound is harrowing during the bombing runs.

16. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    superdave repped this.
  17. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #217 TheJoeGreene, Feb 27, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
    JasonMa repped this.
  18. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the Awful announcing article the annual value of the contracts is in the high seven figures which should mean between 5 and 9 million. But just like when you hear a team has lost 8 of 10 you know they won that 11th game, it’s probably closer to 5 than 9 because if it was 9 they’d have said “nearly 8 figures.”

scheck and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  19. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It would be really interesting to learn how that's being split up. This year USLC has 24 teams and USL1 has 12. If we go with the low end of 5 million, they could distribute $100k to each team and still have $1.4 million left for the league itself to spend on whatever infrastructure they find most necessary. I don't know what kind of budget these teams are really running on, but that seems like it would be a significant help to each of them.

It would also be interesting to find out if there's something in the contracts that adds money each time a new team joins. The major college conferences negotiate full shares for as many new teams coming in as possible, so maybe USL was able to get the same kind of deal? There are slated to be 4 new Championship and 6 new League One teams by the 2026 season when the ESPN part of this ends.

20. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

superdave and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TampaBay44 is Paramount.

Paramount has a national TV deal with USL.

22. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The CBS/Paramount+ deal has nothing to do with independent channels owned by CBS News & Stations. It's all under Paramount Global, but they're different divisions.

superdave repped this.
  23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phoenix's deal is with the owners of the local CBS affiliate and Miami FC's deal is with a CBS owned channel and CBSMiami.com.

I guess USL did a hard sell at Paramount/CBS's local affiliate convention.

24. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And Loudoun's deal is with DCNewsNow which is a NewsNation channel owned by CW. There are more than 30 USL teams with deals and most have nothing to do with CBS.

TrueCrew repped this.
  25. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I assumed that guy was from WST based on that tweet. So predictable. :ROFLMAO: