The 2024 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Jan 7, 2024.

1. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how many unique viewers watched MLS, including local and nationally broadcast games. Apparently Messi Season Pass had over 2 million subs last season. And as mentioned a million times, the subscription model has worked for soccer and other sports elsewhere for decades.

One problem Apple must have is that the 300 to 350k that attend matches can't (practically) watch in person and on TV, which is why there should be at least one "game of the week" regularly scheduled outside the 7:30 pm window.

I think Season Pass also needs to broaden is content beyond MLS at some point. USL, the Open Cup, NWSL, college, NT games and overseas leagues should be something they look into when the existing rights deals expire.

2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #852 jaykoz3, Jun 20, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2024
    The problem with this line of thinking is that the service is called MLS Season Pass......Last I checked the USL, NWSL, Open Cup, etc. aren't in MLS.... Not to mention that the NWSL and the USL are both trying to separate and establish themselves in the same market (and are in direct competition with one another). The Open Cup is an afterthought to everyone but the nerdy diehard fans like us.

Now if Apple TV rebrands the "channel" as Apple Sports Season Pass, or something along those lines.... just be warned that the more leagues that are added to the service, the more the price is going to increase.

OR

If I'm MLS, and more specifically Soccer United Marketing, I'm looking at acquiring the US TV rights for Ligue 1 and Serie A. Then you place those on MLS Season Pass. Again, from a branding and marketing standpoint I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense. I'd also make a play for the Golazo Channel, as it's not a secret that Paramount is going to shutter Paramount +. Then they have a ton of more original content for season pass, though it would have to meet Apple's standards for content first.

The whole point of MLS Season Pass is to bring more eyeballs to MLS. I can see the merit and upside of placing more soccer properties under this umbrella though, just not convinced how that helps MLS with bringing awareness and additional eyeballs to the league.

STR1 repped this.
  3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're in year 2 of a 10 year deal. I imagine SUM, MLS and Apple are committed to long-term growth. Hopefully they have the right people involved and it's going to be an exciting project.

It's less than a decade since WST and the pro/rel truthers were rejoicing as the Soccernomics' guru Stefan Szymanski predicted that MLS was on the verge of "imminent collapse".

MLSfan66 repped this.
  4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are committed to the long term growth of MLS, not the USL, NWSL, etc... That said, IMO Apple's high standards for content that is placed on Apple TV+ is likely the main factor to there not being much non-gameday content on Season Pass. This has been mentioned as far back as February 2023 when the service launched. Most of the organizations in MLS are reluctant to up their production games in order to produce content on a regular basis for the channel. IOW, they're all still very conservative businesses at the end of the day. They're already getting paid X amount from Apple to broadcast their games. The individual teams spending more money on producing content for Season Pass isn't going to bring them in any substantial amount of money. There's no return on that investment.

MLSfan66 and Paul Berry repped this.
  5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be any number of reasons, but the biggest is likely based on the size of a team's fanbase. Teams with small fanbases, also had small viewership and, as a result, were making little to no money on having a local broadcast. Another issue, some teams had multiple broadcast partners. So one week the game could be on this channel, another week it could be on another channel. Throw in a national broadcast and someone could just say f**k it, too much work to find the broadcast.

Every game is now "broadcast" in the exact same place and is no longer dependent upon where you live. If someone is a Sounders fan, they now know exactly where to watch the game whether they live in the Seattle area, or if they live somewhere else. As an example, one of the Sounders fans on twitter lives in Scandanavia. Because of MLS's complicated international broadcasting deals, it was always a challenge for them to watch Sounders games (well, technically a VPN with a ESPN+ is the route they went with), but now they can just get an MLS Season Pass via Apple.

6. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They also know that 75% plus of the time the day and time the Sounders (or insert your fave MLS team here) will play.

Yoshou repped this.
  7. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    IMO, Season Pass needs an MLS program/show that airs at least once a week. Something similar to what is done in Mexico and Latin American countries. Heck, even here with the NFL. Let these commentators loose and critize the league, players, owners, refs and teams if they have to and/or deserve it. Create controversy as that sells. A show that highlights the weekly games. But...knowing MLS that they don't want bad rep, no one talking bad about them (not even players or coaches) that type of show will never be approved.

Paul Berry repped this.
  8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who will be a resident of the United Kingdom in the next 12 hours I pray for more day games.

JasonMa and Sounders78 repped this.
  9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The issue with that is that a lot of the controversy is a result of the average Joe actually giving a crap. The average American doesn't care about soccer. The New York Post isn't going to sell more copies if it expands MLS coverage from a few paragraphs a week to several pages a day, in the same mode as it covers the Yankees, the Knicks, the Rangers, the Mets, the Giants, the Jets, the Devil's and the Nets. Did I forget someone?

MLSfan66 repped this.
  10. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    On Demand FTW

jaykoz3 repped this.
  11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yeah if they wanted to amplify controversy they could've done it while Zlatan was here. Every comment was controversial haha They didn't do it because it wouldn't sell.

12. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  13. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MLSfan66 and AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Technically you should have just started the stream from the beginning, but for those of you who just refuse to do that, this is a great feature. Apple has really made the absolute best sports streaming service.

15. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Youtube TV has had this feature for quite a while now.

16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I thought that was only for NBA games?

17. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apple still trying to grow MLS Season Pass is a good sign. It would be nice if they could sign some interesting players for Leagues Cup. Last year was the perfect storm with Messi joining Miami. In still waiting for some changes that might be coming to the salary budget after they were mentioned earlier in the season.
    They have a mechanism in the CBA where the players are suppose to get a cut of the tv revenue which hasn't been announced yet. Also if they could break the threshold for subscriptions, MLS gets .50 cents on the dollar.

18. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The changes are just 3 full DPs with 3 U22-I players or 2 DPs with 4 U22-I + $2M in GAM. The second option is my guess most teams would aim for as it gives you more cap space. And for marketing purposes, which is what Apple and MLS care for when it comes to subscriptions, there isn't any U22-I player in the world that would move the needle in MLS/Apple subscriptions. None. Zero.

MLS.... it seems like they just don't put any effort sometimes.

MLSfan66 repped this.
  19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The EFL's iFollow has had dots on the timeline for years, to mark key events to go back and click on.

20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there are now about 15 DP slots open and with a bit of allocation money wizardry there could be another 10 more.

21. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are only rumored but still haven't been confirmed by MLS. Also they still have to get approval from MLSPA about changes as some of these are negotiated.

Minnman repped this.
  22. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just me or does putting "GOAL ALERT" at the bottom of screen during cutaways on MLS 360 take a lot of suspense out of watching, since you know the outcome? Would be more engaging if every chance was "CHANCE ALERT" and then discovering the outcome as the play unfolds...

superdave, JasonMa and FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't the presenters screaming "we gotta goal!" sort of give it away?

NFLPatriot, JasonMa and FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  24. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well yeah I'm saying going to the clips without spoilers (visual or audible) would make each clip more interesting

JasonMa and FoxBoro 143 repped this.
  25. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a big reason I rarely watch 360 anymore.

MuchoTakeItEasy repped this.