The 2024 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Jan 7, 2024.

1. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect the Club World Cup to be awful.

Much more awful than I expected the Leagues Cup to be.

If I’m as wrong about the CWC as I was about the LC, I may have to reexamine my assumptions. :D

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Why would it be awful? It's pointless (we know Europe is the best) but why awful?

3. eagercolin

eagercolin Member

Metro
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Buffalo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, it seems awful to run players through yet another competition during what would otherwise be a badly needed rest period.

4. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no way that it won't be fun to watch the best from each confederation play each other until a club from UEFA ultimately wins. It's no different than watching the CONCACAF Champions Cup. We can HOPE an MLS club will win, but they most likely won't and it's still fun.

jaykoz3, Sounders78 and STR1 repped this.
  5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never watched a Club World Cup match.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss the Hawaiian Islands Invitational...

EDIT: I just looked up the details on Wikipedia. Holy ChatGPT generated Batman!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_Islands_Invitational

Apparently in 2012 the games were held at Madison Square Garden and included the MLB Colorado Rapids, the LA Chargers, the LA Clippers, the Houston Rockets, and the Colorado Avalanche. Not to mention Chelsea FC...

(For the record it was the Rapids, Yokohama FC (Japan), Incheon United FC (Korea), and Melbourne Heart FC (Australia) )

usadcu, SetPeace, AlbertCamus and 2 others repped this.
  7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Sucks to be you. There have been some really fun ones.

8. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    With the debts those euro teams are in, they pretty much need this tournament to avoid having to make a super league to survive. Two cwc wins and you wipe away a billion dollars of debt.

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yeah, we'll know which 4 teams will will 90 percent of these tournaments but the fun will be in the occasional upset in the group stage. Kind of like the national team world cup.

And who knows, if a South American county hosts this thing in the future, with their crazy atmosphere anything can happen. Remember the first cwc in Brazil? Brazil vs Brazil in the final.

10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of which.. The Athletic is reporting that the Premier League is going to vote on implementing a hard salary cap next week. They say that a majority of Premier League clubs support the cap and that it would be tied to the revenue for the lowest revenue club in the league that season.

MuchoTakeItEasy and JasonMa repped this.
  11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    No wonder Houston did so bad in 2008. We sent the NFL team and an NBA team. I'm not suprised Gamba Osaka ran it up on the Rockets in the final. The Dynamo would never have done so badly. ;)

I am surprised that Isiah Pacheco, KC Chiefs running back, participated solo since he was just 9 years old at the time.

JasonMa repped this.
  12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Was this the tournament when Ching drew bigger crowds than Beckham?

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That seems toothless

"The cap would allow clubs to only spend five times the commercial and broadcast revenue of the lowest team in the division."

Southampton received £103M ($128M) in Premier League TV and commercial payments last season.

Man City have a £192M ($238M) payroll.

Yoshou repped this.
  14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only read the headline, but does "spending cap" mean "salary cap" or salary plus transfer fees?

15. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah... I saw that in one of the comments.. It really seems like a dumb idea if the cap is that high.. Any sort of multiplier is going to make it basically meaningless given the size of the Premier Leagues media deals.

16. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think FIFA is going to use the CWC as a Confederations Cup replacement. More than likely, just like the Confederations Cup, it will be played a year before the WC at the country where the WC would be played at. For multiple countries they'll just pick the one that has the better infrastructure and makes the most money. So my guess for 2029 CWC will be in Spain only.

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You’ve been missing out. I’ve been watching since it was the Intercontinental Cup.

crookeddy repped this.
  18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #568 Nico Limmat, Apr 24, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
    Morocco has hosted the CWC before and would like to host it again. But there is also speculation that Austalia did not go ahead with a 2034 World Cup bid (benefitting Saudi Arabia) so they can host the 2029 CWC. Maybe together again with New Zealand. Who knows what Infantino promised to hand the World Cup to Saudi Arabia on a silver platter.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow that could be seismic to the EPL, no? But this post is perfectly emblematic of the seismic scope creep this thread is known for. :rolleyes:

Yoshou repped this.
  20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    So that means a South American country will eventually get the tournament, and that's when it gets interesting.

21. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Expect Liga MX to have a lot of games in the US too. Mexicans in Mexico slowly but surely staying without a National Team and in the near future without a national league.

Top/more popular EPL clubs (Manchester City, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham) will surely play here too. No one wants to see the bottom feeders even if they are "battling" out for relegation. Where the ProRel crowd at?

All this will have a negative impact on MLS any way you slice it.

22. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn’t be so sure. Imagine you’re the chair of a club that barely ekes out 6th in the Championship then gets promoted via the playoffs. They don’t have enough talent to realistically stay up, so such a club might play ManU at SoFi and Man City at JerryWorld and Liverpool in Atlanta and sell an extra 150,000 tickets, and probably at a higher average price than they could get at home. Such a club would be aiming to bank as much money as possible and build the club in a sustainable way. A few cash grabs in big US stadiums might be part of that strategy.

I know lots of people will say a club would never screw its fans like that in which case hahahahaha.

STR1 repped this.
  23. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The English supporters won't allow that.

With the expanded UEFA tournaments, it'd be surprising if those participants played games here in the states. IF they do, they certainly won't be giving up home games. Barca and Real Madrid aren't/didn't expand and renovate their stadiums to host FEWER games ion the them.....

La Liga will have 1-2 games in Miami in December/January. The EPL won't hold games in the US because they are scared sh!tless of their supporters.

LigaMX likely won't have their league games in the US. They already have a partnership with MLS, hosting LigaMX league matches in the US would kill that partnership. As much as some like to whine , bemoan and denigrate the Leagues Cup..... the inaugural expanded edition was a success on and off of the field.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think English or German fans will let their teams play here. That leaves La Liga, Serie A and PSG.

Based on ICC attendances I doubt there will be much interest outside of the Milan and Madrid teams, Barca and Juventus.

Not sure Liga MX fans will like it either. But if there are Liga MX games it's a different market.

25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    If Liga MX starts having games here then its time to just merge the leagues.