The 2024 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Jan 7, 2024.

1. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I feel like the only broadcasting initiative this year is "talk about win probability absolutely constantly - viewers love that shit!"

Narrator: they don't love that shit.

superdave, PTFC in KCMO, Dyvel and 4 others repped this.
  2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    It's part of sports now being all in on gambling.

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watch crappy, single camera coverage of Notts County games with zero graphics, but the commentators call out goals from rivals' games as they go in.

JasonMa and jaykoz3 repped this.
  4. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's still so bizarre that last year one of the few things they actually listened to and improved was the ability to hide spoilers, and yet they go and do this with an advertised spot spoiling everything. But don't mention that it's stupid and completely inconsistent with what they did last year, and with what is still possible in the Apple TV+ app and website, or you're just complaining about anything and the bitchy Garber police will come and attack without a shred of logic or reason behind what they're doing.

Sounders78 and mbar repped this.
  5. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN has had a score ticker for over 3 decades.... NFL broadcasts have a stat tracker and score tracker.......

6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American sports telecasts may generally do this but does that make it better? World football telecasts tend not to. And many of us prefer that way. If you wanna be informed (spoiled) of other scores that’s what your phone is for, no?

bselig repped this.
  7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. And in last night’s HOU-NYR match. I chuckled when the first goal was scored, and they popped up the win probability %’s which were basically identical from before the goal. A minute later they fixed their error and redisplayed the %’s. ;)

8. AZUL GALAXY

AZUL GALAXY Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Miami vs Orlando highlights on YouTube
    Millions of views after one day, wow
    MLS 2.1 mil
    ESPN FC 643 k
    121 k
    286 k
    Etc

RfrancisR, MLSfan66 and STR1 repped this.
  9. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    If I see that dumb woman selecting her Audi headlight configuration one more time, I may lose it.

mbar and JasonMa repped this.
  10. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is she keeping you from your job? Lol

GlennAA11, mbar, JayRockers! and 3 others repped this.
  11. United1

United1 Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    She represents all things awful in this world. She is the antichrist.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  12. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep complaining and they'll bring back "LOS TATER TOTS"

But seriously. Does Audi only have 1 single commercial? Can they at least shuffle a couple different ones. It's not like I need to see it 110 times to finally convince meto run to an Audi dealer because I think customizable headlights are something I need to have.

SetPeace repped this.
  13. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a debate that they are AI. So...

mbar repped this.
  14. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once upon a time the Dallas Cowboys played almost every week on national TV at 4:00 and were branded America's team. Love them or hate them, Inter-Miami are creating huge numbers for MLS. The highlights of the game against Orlando on YouTube have 2.6 million views. The snow game is second with 216,000 and the rest are all five digit views. Oh Miami are also getting an audience on Fox.

Egbert Sousé, AZUL GALAXY and MLSfan66 repped this.
  15. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that kid CGI?

honest debate I was having with the Mrs.

looks like it. Or else there is a bizarre filter being used.

16. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's probably not in an actual car.

mbar repped this.
  17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the new TV situation, but I'm in full agreement with the "no spoilers" crowd. If you have a deal/package that allows your customers to watch all the games on your service, why would you want to put things on your broadcast that would dissuade those customers from watching other games on your service?

18. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For the same reason they limit everyone to a single browser stream at a time, they're a gigantic technology company that almost exclusively considers the bottom line over all other decisions. They actually made the effort last year to figure out how to hide spoilers in the app and in browsers and then went and signed a sponsorship deal that shows spoilers during the broadcasts. That's right in line with releasing updated devices that won't work with existing chargers.

mbar repped this.
  19. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All good points but still better than the past. You don't become the biggest, or one of depending on the day, biggest companies in the world without thinking about the bottom line. I'll take spoilers over not joining the live game I tuned into until 20 minutes have already been played.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  20. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the past few weeks that I've been tuning in to MLS on Apple TV--i can say that i feel the production value is much better this year. I am enjoying the presentation of the pre-game and the games themselves a whole lot more. I was watching MLS 360 for the first time last week. Usually I just choose a game and watch it, but i decided i'd give 360 a spin and i really liked what I saw. It's just as entertaining and as thrilling as NFL Redzone. I think in general MLS and Apple have learned a lot from having one year of experience under their belt and they are churning out a better product this year. The one thing I don't like is that the commentary teams for my favorite team keep on changing from week to week. I wish they would just assign a commentating team to a specific team and have them follow the team from week to week. At any rate, is it a huge thing that affects the enjoyment of the games? No, it;s more like a pet peeve. It does, however, keep me from connecting to the broadcast team if the faces and voices keep on changing from week to week. One of the best things about MLS when it was on the regional sports networks was having the same team of guys doing the games every week and allowing the fans to build a rapport and familiarity with that commenting team.
    I am bilingual and I must confess that after hearing the Apple-MLS commenting teams in both English and Spanish, I am finding myself drawn to the Spanish broadcasts a lot more this year, although i'm not quite sure why. Last year I would always choose the English feed of the games.One bright spot is the pre-game and post game and also the 360 team. The studio team of Antonella Gonzalez, Tony Cherchi, Miguel Gallardo, and Gio Savarese is one that i am enjoying quite a lot. They are always professional and I enjoy their soccer insights.

21. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I thought 360 was supposed to be less yapping and more in-stadium audio. That seems to not be happening the couple of times I made the mistake of navigating over there.

I do appreciate that they fixed the interface so it's easier to switch between games though.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice balanced post. Unfortunately no habla espanol so I'm probably not going to be watching the Spanish stream. But then again...

Your other point is one I TOTALLY agree with. And for me it's more than just a pet peeve, it really does detract from my connection to my team. NYRB used to have a totally steady team (on MSG channel) of Cangialosi & Messing, with some subs along the way. Say what you will about the quality of those two (I saw pluses & minuses) but they damn well knew NYRB... squad, tactics, management, news including injuries, etc, etc, etc. The way Apple/MLS is doing it now is a big step backwards from my POV. AND it's been even more irksome because Cangialosi & Messing are on the commentary staff, or at least they were last season, and yet they pretty much never show up on NYRB games.

I get it how each game has 2 teams and the broadcast is by a "neutral" entity. And it wouldn't make (economic) sense to have 2 sets of commentary teams on each game. So how about each home team gets to use its regular, familiar commentary crew, for home games. And when we go on the road we have to put up with that home team's crew?

23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would require hiring twice the number of people and giving each half the amount of work.

24. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you ever used the audio for the hometown radio option? I'm not sure every team has it and it's only for home games but that might help half your peeve.

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would require Apple to hire all the home crews, which they did not do