The 2024 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Jan 7, 2024.

1. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abandoning local TV. Hilarious.

Yeah, local TV was just clambering to cover their MLS clubs in most markets.

JasonMa, MLSfan66 and HailtotheKing repped this.
  2. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it's quite amusing seeing people cry and bemoan the move a way from "local tv" when it is EXACTLY what they had before, and didn't fuggin watch.

AZUL GALAXY, STR1, Egbert Sousé and 2 others repped this.
  3. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I do wonder what the numbers were for local viewership and how that broke down between teams like FC Dallas that had an OTA broadcast (we even got all their games in Lubbock on the local MyTV channel) and others who had cable partners of varying degrees of visibility (DC famously had a year on FloSports and was often on NewsChannel 8 which few people had).

HailtotheKing repped this.
  4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's quite a broad brush stroke you made there.

NYRB fans for many years watched home and away games via MSG's coverage, and IMO it was superior on many levels to what we have now with ATV... which I also have to pay +$100/yr for.

Sadly, I don't think it's likely or possible for MLS/Apple to ever recreate the consistent, professional and tailored NYRB coverage that MSG used to provide. RIP.

5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horrible production values. Announcers in some booth in Ohio for away matches, since there was no money for them to travel to away games. The "local" channel changing every couple of years from one oddball channel to another. Sometimes, MLS clubs had to actually pay to have the games on locally.

SetPeace, jaykoz3, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  6. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exceptions exist ... the league as a whole? yeah, local tv wasn't where it was at. Remember when LAG singed that impressive local deal? Yeah, it was such a big deal because it was such an outlier. Clubs weren't getting much because the local outlets weren't offering much because ... not enough folks were watching to make it worth it.

MSG is a very targeted outlet. Their capability/catalog is much different than FoxSportsRockyMountain, for instance.

STR1, JasonMa and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, more relevant, Altitude. Which I haven't watched in 4+ years because it hasn't been on the cable system that the Denver metro uses.

8. MuchoTakeItEasy

MuchoTakeItEasy Member+

LAFC
    United States
    May 16, 2015
    Land of the Free
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When LAFC was an exclusivity deal with YoutubeTV, it was 35/mo at first and up to 70 by the time we canceled. The only way to watch non-national broadcast games for the first 3 years. Only downside to dropping cable/streaming bundle is occasional national broadcast for international events or NCAA Basketball... glad most USA games are on paramount or max now.

9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember seeing right after the appleTV deal was announced that more than a handful of MLS teams had local tv ratings in the thousands.. Not tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands... Just thousands.

jaykoz3, TheJoeGreene and JasonMa repped this.
  10. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    MLS fans get defensive for Apple deal? Lol I think it's the other way around. WST and all the other anti-MLS accounts all they do is talk shit about the MLS Apple deal as if they were big fans of MLS before the deal.

These USL deals are good for them. I just hope they have better luck than MLS and people actually watch their games. That is where it will count. They complained for years, and still do, that the quality of MLS was subpar when compared to EPL. Imagine what they will say of USL when they finish watching a Manchester City vs Arsenal in the morning and then in the afternoon they watch a Phoenix Rising vs El Paso Locomotive.

11. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pleasantly surprised to see that today the games are very spread out. You could sit your ass down at 2:00 and watch MLS all the way to midnight..which does sound tempting today.

12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched The Golden Rule in their section about playoff moments. Highly recommend.

I love getting to hear on-field audio in soccer. I'm particularly fascinated when I get to hear conversation between players and referees and see how refs manage players.

13. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm watching Season Pass on my Dad's TV in the UK and I'm seeing American ads.

HailtotheKing and AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  14. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #239 mbar, Mar 2, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    I’m kind of pissed at the sports ticker showing all the other results on the Apple TV broadcasts this year.

worse. they talk about the results so you can’t just look away for a moment.

Sounders78 and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  15. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Apple is really, really bad at sports. The picture quality is fantastic. The money they've brought into the league is fantastic. Everything else is terrible, even the basic stuff like not spoiling other games.

HailtotheKing and United1 repped this.
  16. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    What ticker? I don’t see it on my computer or app.

17. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s popped up in every game today around 30 minutes. It’s just for a minute they show all the scores and ,worse, talk about them.

18. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JFC, some of y'all just bitch about the dumbest things.... EVERY league does this!!!!!!! Do you all get pissed off when they show the results and/or highlights of the OTHER NFL games on Sunday?!?!?!?! How about the NBA??? College Football/Basketball???

superdave and HailtotheKing repped this.
  19. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do. We all have scores and hilights at our fingertips if we want them. They respected no spoilers last year. AT&T sponsoring spoilers this year sucks.

they could do it in a way to allow you to avoid it if you’d like. I don’t need to hear Max and Brian take a break from kissing cherundrlos ass to tell me that Suarez scored a brace in opening 20 minutes of a game I intend to watch later.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  20. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I can watch every premier league game without the results being spoiled, just have to watch the NBC/USA games last.

Thx,

Jay!

21. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Or we don't blindly defend Apple/Garber every time they push some garbage out and actually think critically

22. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not blindly defending anyone!!!! ESPN has a ticker at the bottom of the screen!!! NBC has a EPL score bug n the upper right corner of their games. Same for CBS Sports UEFA Coverage.

The Union had an out of town scoreboard during their local coverage, and would talk about the scores of opther games going on.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  23. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I don't have much of an opinion about this these days, but it wasn't THAT long ago that we had to wait 10-20 hours for some games to broadcast for the first time when watching the Premier League. I always appreciate that each individual Prem broadcast was conducted as if it was the only game happening at that time.

So i think you can forgive that some people who probably built up a whole system for watching a bunch of games with the historical non-spoiler handling that used to be pretty standard in these broadcasts.

24. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    I’m sure Apple will have the analytics of people who watched more than one game “on demand” Sunday or later last season. And if those same people will watch replays after watching a game where the scores has been spoiled this year.

My own viewing habits tended to be matchday only, but I would occasionally pop on a west coast game next day. No chance I watch Galaxy or Seattle (or whichever game I don’t double) if I see the scores during the DCU game tonight.

Thx,

Jay!

25. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Thanks to the advertising part of it, I know to hit mute and use my arm to cover the bottom part of my visual field to avoid it.

superdave and TheJoeGreene repped this.