The 2023 U-20 Player Pool Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by David Kerr, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outstanding work! Thanks for sharing.

tippco333, ElkHaven, dougtee and 2 others repped this.
  2. y2chae

y2chae New Member

Jul 7, 2020
    Okoh have any interest in playing for us?

3. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    brenden aaronson talking to him nonstop about the jersey shore. lake geneva has never seemed more provincial

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  4. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

rumored for u20’s in Mexico in October

matt021d, Pl@ymaker, SCSAutism and 4 others repped this.
  5. Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Nov 17, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently the U20s will play Mexico, Columbia, and Brazil at something called the Revelations Cup in November.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Excellent. Finally some news.

It doesn't say whether this event will be for the 2021 U20 cycle or the 2023 U20 cycle.
    If its supposed to make up for the loss of the 2021 U20WC, does that mean its the 2021 group?

Mentally, I've moved on. Hopefully its for the 2023 cycle.

The dates of the event will determine releases, etc.
    If its in November, then it'll be at the same time as the playoff push and MLS Cup playoffs (which start Nov. 19th).

7. SoccerNYFan

SoccerNYFan Member

Arsenal
    United States
    May 31, 2021
    I personally think this will be a 2021 cycle for both U20 and U17/18. Otherwise, what was the point of holding the IDCs countrywide a few months back with 04 and 05.

Hopefully that's the case because it would be good for some of our 04 and 05 to get exposure on the national stage.

8. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve been told that the camp/cup is for 2003/2004/2005 but we’ll see. If it is for 01/02’s then we’ll also see a completely separate camp for the 03 and younger cycle. But I’m pretty sure this tournament is for the new cycle

9. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point of hosting the ID camps is that they had minimal opportunities for YNT camps to evaluate the player pool and that all of those players will still be eligible for the upcoming 2023 u20 cycle and the 05’s the 2025 cycle

There are no upcoming camps for the 04 YNT and their u17 cycle, that cycle is over. The next u17 camp is starting in November shortly after the new wave of regional ID YNT camps happening currently have concluded. That November camp and the currently beginning regional camps will be and are targeted for the 2006/2007’s

10. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am hearing there will be November, January, and March U-20 camps.

No idea on the coach

11. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok so given that this takes place next summer and given the elevated stakes of it also determining Olympic qualifying, we are going to need a coach ASAP.

Winoman, EXALIFTIN and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A massive dub for the USA. We’ll get to have the majority of our first choice 2003’s at this qualifying event and with that we should steamroll our way into qualifying for the u20 World Cup and olympics

14. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A question I have for all. Who will the the 6’s and CB’s for this cycle? Justin Che is the only one that is a comfortable lock and Bryan Okoh is out now that he’s provisionally cap tied to the Swiss. Who would be your two 6’s and three CB’s?

15. YNWA Rob

YNWA Rob Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Nov 12, 2020
    Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The concept of our best u20s being together for an event is very appealing, BUT...

Don't shoot the messenger here: A lot of these players are going to be making big moves between now and next summer. Don't think they will all be given a free pass by their (often new) clubs re playing in this event.

Time will tell, but neither the U20 World Championship or the Olympics are valued as events by the Euro clubs.

Not saying it wouldn't be cool, just saying there are competing views for how valuable these events are as part of the overall player development calendar (which said clubs are more than 90 percent responsible for).

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    CB is definitely the “weakest” position of the loaded ‘03 class at this point. Things can change extremely fast at these ages but I think we’ll have to look to Jalen Neal, Casey Walls, Brandan Craig, etc. HG players but so far just USL minutes.

17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Next summer is going to be a very weird transfer window for players with any potential to go to the WC, won’t be a typical summer window. Either move this coming January or wait till January 2023.

18. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the 6 is weaker. You have Danny Leyva and that’s really the only solidified professional in that position and even then there’s a major quality gap (mostly because of athleticism) between him and the other starters. The 2004’s don’t exactly have stellar options to move up. The 2005’s had two kids who excelled as 6’s in RBW and Brooklyn Raines who now appear to be playing as 8’s. CB at least has options that are permissible

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I’m most worried about the striker position and RB. If Pepi isn’t available, who is the starting #9? It’s probably Cowell or Sanogo, but is Cowell playing CF (as opposed to another position), and will Sanogo play for the USA? This U-20 cycle has extraordinary depth, so I’m not worried. Roou and Mitchell would also be good #9 options, but it’s a position that comes closer to lacking depth. RB is similar. Cuevas hasn’t played competitive games all year. RB isn’t a strength with the 04’s either. Alexander Freeman is the top option IMO among U-20 RB’s, but he’s very unproven. If we had to play Halliday, Reynolds, Duenas, Hall, it’s far from a problem, but it’s not one of our strongest positions. I wonder if Che will be considered a RB option. I’m not convinced he’s one of the top few options at CB, which won’t be a popular opinion.

20. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    2003 Tarun Karumanchi at the 6. When you watch him play he reminds you of Leyva in many ways.

ussoccer97531 and gogorath repped this.
  21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    With it in the summer, it'll be interesting to see if we get anyone we from Europe we would not normally get. Or even if some of those guys wants to play. Even if the timing works, we're not seeing Gio Reyna in a U20 qualifying.

But I wonder about someone like Scally, especially if he hasn't taken a large role with the senior team. Or someone like Caden Clark, who will likely be in Leipzig but might not really be playing (I still suspect loan to Salzburg to backfill Aaronson is the right move here).

Even if you eliminate the players who are stars where they are, you likely have a heck of a roster. Players like Cowell and Pepi might be sold, but might not be playing. Or they might be so instrumental to their team a release is unlikely?

But the next level of established, like Quinn Sullivan, etc. will almost certainly be made available. I wonder if there's enough there.

22. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scally is ineligible for this U-20 cycle, by less than a day.

I'd be bullish on most players being able to take part. Most players will still be domestically based, but even most of the Euro-based guys will be released. Clubs know there is a benefit to playing.

The 2003s are probably the strongest U.S. U-20 class at the start of a cycle that I've ever seen.

Two years ahead of a WC, you have a bunch of MLS starters and even impact players. That's impressive.

23. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tarun is legit. I have him below Leyva, Daniel Edelman, and Elton Chifamba for now but if he surpassed them I wouldn’t be shocked. I need to see more of him at a higher level before I can move him up

24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Luchi Gonzelez would be an interesting hire for this U20 coaching position now that his time at FCD has run out.
    We can talk about his challenges winning MLS first team games. That's fine, and its open for dissection. But the guy has a great track record as coach and director at the FCD academy. Bilingual of course. Seems to work well with young players.

TxEx, SCSAutism, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Luchi Gonzalez is better as an academy director with an MLS academy or a technical director for the youth national teams than a coach. I didn’t think he coached well at the youth level either. I don’t think any bad MLS coach is instantly qualified to be a good coach for our YNT’s. Some guys aren’t good at coaching.

Arantes, Pl@ymaker and Patrick167 repped this.