The 2023 U-17 Player Pool Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by David Kerr, Dec 24, 2020.

1. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #51 David Kerr, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Matthew Corcoran. Only way he doesn’t get to that level is if he has Paxton Pomykal level injury issues. I’ll confidently say this kid is Pulisic/Reyna level. He’ll sign a homegrown deal and almost certainly go off to Bayern when he turns 18 because of FC Dallas’ partnership. I think he’s the best overall prospect to come through the FC Dallas academy

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  2. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do any of these kids compare to the talent level of Alessandro Maldonado, Aaron Heard, or Isaiah Chisholm? That’s the bar for the YNT’s now

3. dmvyouthsoccer

dmvyouthsoccer New Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2021
    In my opinion yes, Adrian Buri is a very good striker, he is very fast, has strength and he has the hunger to score. I think he has scored at least one goal in every game with the DCU 15s this year. I think he deserves to be called up with the YNT in the future. Matai Akinmboni and Dash Papez are also two very good CBs. Christian Rodriguez is an excellent CDM and he isn't well known as he doesn't play for an MLS academy. Neil Das is a very good attacking midfielder, from what I have seen in the last couple of years in the DA, he joined DCU this year but he hasn't had a great year so far. I think these players are at that level or have the potential to be at the level in the future.

4. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    For what it’s worth... James Arteaga has been playing on the left of a midfield 3 for LAFC. DeCarlo Guerro in the 6 and Wanchope on the right.
    IMO, Kristan Villalobos (RCB) is a player to watch from the LAFC 07s. Man among boys, smart and calm. Scored 2 goals in 2 games from CB as well.

David Kerr repped this.
  5. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    Also, will Wanchope play for USA or Costa Rica?

6. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    One player I would add to the list would be Michael Howard '06 (North Carolina FC).
    He plays as # 10 although can play as # 8 or # 9. He has great technique and vision of the game.
    Physically he is very similar to Corcoran although I would say that he is a better player offensively but with less potential.

ielag, David Kerr and bballshawn repped this.
  7. JimLahey

JimLahey Member

Sheffield Wednesday
    United States
    Dec 25, 2020
    PhillyFury and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    No Dane Agustin. Is he injured?

9. JimLahey

JimLahey Member

Sheffield Wednesday
    United States
    Dec 25, 2020
    Not to my knowledge. Probably the biggest omission

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    So does this camp likely mean more teams are going to feel forced to join MLSNext so they can recruit better players? I get the feeling that missing out on id camps isn't going to sit well with parents shelling out thousands of dollars for little Johnny to play 2nd tier club ball.

11. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shouldn’t really be a revelation for these clubs. It was known in the DA days that if you wanted your player to get YNT looks and high level games you needed to either move that player to the DA or join the league yourselves. MLS Next getting all the YNT call ups only strengthens that viewpoint. Only difference is that MLS Next seems to be more lenient on who they allow in the league compared to the DA

12. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still going with Alessandro Maldonado not being included in the DMV/NJ/Philly camp is the biggest snub for this series of YNT regional camps

13. JimLahey

JimLahey Member

Sheffield Wednesday
    United States
    Dec 25, 2020
    Ah yes. Mini Richy Ledezma. I believe he’s injured tho

14. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Instead of phrasing it as players just moving to the DA, isn't it fair to phrase it as that player needs to compete to earn a spot on a DA team?
    On one side of the argument is at some point a good U15 player or older should be trying to earn spots on more difficult teams in the name of talent concentration.

15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Mini Richy would be someone really tiny.

Pl@ymaker, JimLahey and gogorath repped this.
  16. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I'm going to admit to complete ignorance about DA ball so to @SUDano's point about players pushing for better teams/leagues how does movement between say FCD, Solar, Rise, Texans etc work? Are there open tryouts? Is it invitation only? Little Johnny on a non MLSNext team thinks he's good enough to move up. How does that typically happen?

17. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally you’re able to move freely between clubs in your territory in the DA. But you do have to be careful to not burn any bridges when you leave for a local rival. In regards to the current regional YNT call ups they’re calling up players from every MLS Next team including non MLS academies like Solar/Texans. But when a full YNT camp happens I’d imagine that almost 100% of the call ups will be MLS academy players and yanks abroad because the idea is to show other players that the goal is to get to a club with a first team environment where you can go pro earlier or get more exposure to European opportunities. I can imagine all of the players on the regional rosters will be heavily recruited by MLS clubs now

The ideal funnel is local club -> local MLS Next club -> MLS/USL academy -> MLS HG/Europe academy

18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best players will get invitations from every club. From what I remember from about 10 years ago the best players would go try out at FCD first and then possibly Texans or Solar depending on who's considered next best if they see how it's going at FCD tryouts. And so on. There will be a few who don't want to go to FCD or are very comfortable where they are so FCD doesn't get all of the best players. My wish would be for all the DA-->MLS Next teams to team up with one of the regional pro teams and rebrand either way so both have the same name (this may depend on which has more cachet but Solar and Texans are obviously better known locally).

I'm guessing each market has twists unique to them and of course sometimes just how far away a team practices can be a deciding factor especially for younger players.

19. dmvyouthsoccer

dmvyouthsoccer New Member

United States
    Mar 28, 2021
    Do you have the list of players going to the 2006 DMV/NJ/Philly camp (the one happening this week), if so please share.

20. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #70 David Kerr, Apr 15, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/club-soccer-articles/boys-ynt-regional-id-philadelphia_aid49342

Overall this is in my opinion the most talented region so far but we haven’t seen the so cal roster yet.

Cavan Sullivan being in the team as an 09 is insane. Him getting called up to this camp over all of the Philly 08’s including Kellan LeBlanc and Jordan Griffin is just crazy. Not sure if it’s crazy in a good way or bad way yet though because maybe he really is that good. Notably, Cavan has already trained at Borussia Dortmund and does have a German passport. He is also the younger brother of 2004 YNT player and Philly homegrown Quinn Sullivan

21. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh so he can move to Dortmund in 2025 rather than 2027, perfect.

Agent_Orange repped this.
  22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    He can move earlier than that.

23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That list is pretty shocking IMO for the Philadelphia region. The Dallas one I didn't think was bad. The Philadelphia region list is really bad.

24. Soccerwatcher215

Soccerwatcher215 New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Apr 19, 2021
    Who do you think were snubbed in the Dallas and Philly region?

25. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jack Brown from Philly is a big snub