The 2023 U-17 Player Pool Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by David Kerr, Dec 24, 2020.

1. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Did you watch app on Smart TV or App on phone? Just not a phone watching anything kinda guy.

2. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    On my phone but I also have a Samsung fold, so more like a tablet

SUDano repped this.
  3. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Is Axel Perez eligible for the 2025 U17 cycle as well?

4. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    How are those folds, I want to go back to a Samsung but I've heard the folds have developed some issues around the 'fold'. Ha Ha I'm hilarious...:rolleyes:

5. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that cycle is 08’s and younger, Axel is a 2007

6. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Thank you!

TheFalseNine and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014

Gacm32, xbhaskarx, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What about Cavan Sullivan from Philly?

Gacm32, Pl@ymaker and TheFalseNine repped this.
  9. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s 12. :D

xbhaskarx repped this.
  10. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcus Chai provided a really good rundown of the match on Twitter.

Gacm32, Winoman, gomichigan24 and 4 others repped this.
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are you saying he's too old?

Axel Perez is 11 :p

Winoman and TheFalseNine repped this.
  12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I finished watching the game. We were pretty good in the first half. Second half was boring. Not much from either team, and an even half. I thought we were the better team, but Belgium made a lot of errors, so I think the performance wasn't as good as 3-0 seems.

Best player was Pedro Somo. I thought he was excellent. I hadn't seen any extended look at his game prior to this game. Really good technique for a #8. Covers a lot of ground, physical, good passer. Likes to play box to box. I was very impressed. I've heard some good things about him from a number of people, but didn't know much about his game. If this is his normal level, he's one of our best 06's.

I thought Aidan Harangi and Christian Diaz were also very good. Harangi is a good passer, good positional defender, has pretty good size, and he's mobile. He seems to play as a #6 for Frankfurt, so seeing that after the game it makes more sense that he didn't bring much of a traditional attacking presence to the RB position. It was a dependable performance, although nothing flashy. Diaz looked really good at CB. Made a number of nice defensive plays, good passing with both feet, slightly above-average size, and very mobile. I've watched that LAFC U-17 team 5+ times this season, and he hasn't played once. Even with Romero not playing anymore, he doesn't start. If he normally plays like this, why doesn't he play? What he showed today is better than what their other CB's show.

No one played poorly. The worst was an average performance from a few players. Tyler Hall was another that had a good performance at CB. His mobility and ability to read the game is a big plus. He reminds me a little of Tayvon Gray with slightly better passing. He'll probably move to RB and his ceiling may be limited, but he's a very safe bet to be a good pro. Fidel Barajas was another I thought was good. He was better using his right than prior games I've seen, which will be a big key for him. He's heavily left-footed, but needs to be able to go to his right when the situation necessitates. He did that here. I don't know that I think he's some extremely dynamic wing prospect, but he has some good tools. I can see some of the hype. The last starter I'll mention was Kochen. Above-average performance. Had to make probably one real save. Distribution out of the back was pretty good. No real stress in this game.

Of the guys that subbed on, the two most active were Gitau and Wellings. Gitau is an incredibly good athlete. Watching him the last few years I didn't know how his athleticism would translate as he starts to face older players, but it's translating really well. Very dynamic athlete. His technique has also gotten a little better, as has the end product and soccer IQ. I still have some questions how those areas translate, but he has more of a chance than I thought a few years ago. Wellings did a lot of defensive work. Not that much of a contribution on the ball, but he's impactful every game because he plays both ways and it's very noticeable.

Winoman, TheFalseNine and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    On the topic of Perez, I think he's a kid with some talent, but he's very physically underdeveloped. He can pass the ball very well, has good soccer IQ, technically good with his ball control, but he's small and has no athletic burst. Is he someone that will develop later or he's just going to be a small/slow #10? Last time I had seen him play with Inter Miami this is what I saw, but that was also late in 2020, so some development in those areas in that time span wouldn't be too unlikely. I've heard some good things about his development in Europe since, but I can't say I was that impressed with Perez's development since the last time I saw him play.

I certainly don't think he's a player who should be playing up an age group with the 06's, and I think there's a real question if he's one of the better 07's. Personally, I wouldn't have him in my top 10. What I find interesting with Perez is how similar he is to Santiago Morales (son of Javier), who is currently the #10 for that Miami U-15 group. Could these two have co-existed in the same team? They are near identical players, although I'd give a slight advantage to Perez. May be better for the development of both that Perez has now moved to Europe, and Morales is with Miami.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  14. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Do you have online link? or is just phone app?

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This worked for me on the computer.

16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Weird, that page just didn't work for me. Maybe I shoulda changed browsers or something. Ah well.

17. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is that last game going to be streamed?

18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It's on Tuesday at 2PM Eastern.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is streaming the game?

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I suspect it's the same website that streamed the last game, but I don't know.

21. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game against Portugal, is today. Anyone know who is streaming it?

22. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe it'll be on that Belgian FA page shared earlier. I think that's just for Belgium's matches. I'll poke around and see what I can find.

Winoman, Pl@ymaker and bballshawn repped this.
  23. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And match time today is noon ET.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I'm still trying to find a link but no luck so far.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  25. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States