The 2023 U-17 Player Pool Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by David Kerr, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Usa soccer11

Usa soccer11 Member

Man city
    Brazil
    Dec 29, 2020
    Hearing u17 camp jan22 - 29 4 houston dynamo players called up

Peretz48, David Kerr and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
  5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea

6. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]26-man U-17squad for training camp in Bradenton, FL January 18-25

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I feel like some of those names are very recycled. I don’t mind giving fringe players a chance, but a lot of fringe players returning. The two 07’s make no sense. Ramos isn’t a bad player, but not to play up an age group.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Patrick167, EXALIFTIN and Winoman repped this.
  9. ProfessorVoetbal

Feb 21, 2020
    #260 ProfessorVoetbal, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
    I havent had time to follow US Youth soccer recently, especially with this cycle. But are there any Pulisic or Gio Reyna level talents in this cycle?

10. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No

11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wish I was important enough to have sources.

12. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well, in that case, my source was the press release. You can have it! ;)

13. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Any word on games for this camp?

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Austin just announced a callup for Micah Burton so I would guess a roster is on its way at some point:

U.S. Soccer announced on Friday that Austin FC Academy midfielder Micah Burton has been selected to the U-17 U.S. Men’s Youth National Team roster for its upcoming training camp and international friendlies, taking place from March 10 to 20 in Buenos Aires, Argentina.​

https://www.austinfc.com/news/austi...on-invited-to-u-17-u-s-men-s-youth-national-t

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Wanted to update my best 23 for this cycle.

GK: Charlie Reed, Nick Bishop, Carlito Saylon
    DF: Matthew Schenfeld, Drew Baiera ('07), Brian Alanis, Luis Rivera ('07), Dane Agustin, Zach Stanton, Michael Dunne, Myles Nicholes ('07)
    MF: Matthew Corcoran, Jude Wellings, Adrian Gill, Nelson Hernandez ('07), Luis Moreno, Bento Estrela, Owen Presthus, Miles Perkovich, Bajung Darboe
    FW: Justin Ellis ('07), Tomo Allen ('07), Axel Kei ('07).

Best XI:

GK: Reed
    RB: Schenfeld:
    CB: Agustin
    CB: Stanton
    LB: Alanis
    DM: Corcoran
    LCM: Wellings
    RCM: Gill
    LW: Darboe
    RW: Perkovich
    CF: Ellis

16 of the 23 are 06's and 7 of the 23 are 07's. Probably the toughest omission from that 23 is Cruz Medina. There's a lot of depth in midfield. Thats the only real tough call IMO from that list. The rest is pretty clear, as I see it.

I think this is a very good group of players, but there are some clear strengths and weaknesses.

I think the midfielders are a big strength. That midfield is going to be nearly impossible to make. A lot of our top 06's and one of our top 07's are midfielders. The only slight issue with the midfield is that there isn't much depth in #6 prospects. Corcoran is really good, and then '06 and '07 have very little in that position. It's a challenge. I would suggest the best solution is probably to use players like Estrela and Hernandez in that role as back ups to Corcoran.

There are a few weaknesses. The best fullbacks are all small and none are that fast. All the best CF's are 07's. '07 is a great CF year, and '06 is a very weak CF year. I'm not sure those are necessarily real weaknesses, but it might cause us problems if the coaches lean towards not picking the best players, regardless of age or skillset.

As for real positional weaknesses, I think CB is a slight problem. I'm not saying its terrible, but the 06's lack in real top-end CB's. While '07 has a lot of good CB's, it's a tough position to incorporate too many players playing up an age group.

EXALIFTIN, Husky13 and Winoman repped this.
  16. Michael_SD

Michael_SD Member

LAFC
    United States
    Mar 3, 2022
    David,

Have you heard of ‘06 San Diego goalkeeper Duran Ferree? At 15 he just signed a First Team Academy Contract with USL San Diego Loyal. Landon Donavan have big hopes for him. He likely should be on your radar, if he isn’t already. Neal Thompson of Big Cat Goalkeeping and former YNT keeper coach is a big fan of him as well.

17. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020

Good keeper. Getting taller too over the last year or two.

He with full USL first team? I saw him on the roster but didn't have a number. I was under the impression he was still playing with the USL-A because he wasn't shown in their GK post from yesterday:

I do love how the Loyal are giving chances to some of the quality players that Surf and other SD clubs are producing.

18. Michael_SD

Michael_SD Member

LAFC
    United States
    Mar 3, 2022
    He is

Yes, he is with the full USL first team. Duran is finishing his school year, training with first team on days off and will train with the first team full time once school year has ended. He will be then going to a charter school next year so he can continue to train full time with the first team. He is currently slightly over 6’0 and growing. Probably will cap out around 6’2 or 6’3 according physical evaluations.

SoCalRedDevil repped this.
  19. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Little keepers that have late growth spurs turn to be good quite often.

20. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We’ve been monitoring him

21. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    He's on a first team Academy contract. So, he's available to practice and play with the first team, but he isn't on a professional paid deal and retains his eligibility for college if he goes that route.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...on-with-matches-against-argentina-and-uruguay

Winoman repped this.
  23. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    What point are we no longer in purely experimental mode of expanding the pool? If they wanted to test out certain players, fair enough. It does seem a little odd though that it's 13/18 players from 5 MLS academies (three of which aren't exactly among the elite academies right now).

There are some real good players on this roster that I would've selected or I won't quibble about being selected, but I significantly question the assessments of this coach if he thinks this is anywhere near the best group of players in the country.

IMO, the main players to watch from this group are Moreno, Darboe, Medina, Carney, Castillo, Verhoeven, Hall.

Hopefully these games will be streamed.

Patrick167 and ogshortstufff repped this.
  24. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    You recognized the quality of the San Jose Earthquakes academy earlier than most. It is very surprising they have twice as many players as LAG and LAFC combined. It’s also kind of shocking that they don’t have at least one Chicago Fire kid. The scouts live there, don’t they? You usually see a kid from their backyard they have watched for years and know almost too well.