The 2023 U-17 Player Pool Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by David Kerr, Dec 24, 2020.

1. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to begin the thread for the 2023 u17’s. I think this group will be much better than the 2004’s. I am extremely high on the talent in the 2006 age group which this cycle will be focused around. I think this group has the most high end talent of any age group.

2. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    You need to edit title

soccersubjectively repped this.
  3. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @TheFalseNine would you be able to change this to 2023 u17 cycle thread?

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    A rough list of 06's that could factor in.

GK (5): Andrew Rick, Nicholas Holliday, Misael Mena, Julian Eyestone, Fernando Delgado
    RB (6): Kimbikula Mbula, Diego Vazquez, Isaac Nascimento, Ari Dejman, Matthew Schenfeld, Sam Sery
    CB (13): Kelvin Da Costa, Gabrial Brandon, Javan Romero, Allan Legaspi, Sho Luke Haggerty, Alex Perez, Gavin Wetzel, Matai Akinboni, Dash Papez, Sager Patel, Dane Agustin, Tyler Hall, Paul Chen
    LB (3): Henry Canizalez, Brian Alanis, Stephen Chavez
    DM/CM (10): Matthew Corcoran, Luis Moreno, Mark Cajamarca, Solomon Straub, Jaden Francis, Adri Frisheri, Alejandro Urzua, Matteo dePalo, Zachary Kennedy, Copeland Berkley
    AM/Wing (16): Bajung Darboe, Owen Presthus, Aaron Heard, Miles Perkovich, Alejandro Granados Torres, Ryan Reid, Edgar Bazan, Jack Brown, Alessandro Maldanado, Henry Weston, Bryan Vazquez, Jared Salazar, Izaiah Garza, Andres Bacho, Juan Quevado, Sebastian Gonzalez
    Striker (9): Michael Luande, Matt Routzahn, Gael Angel Medrano, Dominic Wilson, Leonard Aviles, Patrick Shaw, Miguel Padilla, Fabian Pastenes, Sabalian Roy

Highly touted players I've yet to see play or haven't watched enough to form a reliable opinion: Diego Kochen (GK), Adrian Simons Gill (#8), Bentro Estrela (#8), Connor Stout (LB), Tyrell Moore (CB), Ransford Gyan (AM). I also have yet to see a lot of the good players who play out west, so if this list of players who could play next cycle lacks anywhere, it's probably out west with the California teams, Seattle, Portland, RSL, Colorado. I don't know enough about the 07's yet, but I've yet to see an '07 at this point that absolutely will be part of this cycle.

If I was to pick a 23 of players from the '06 year to start off, this would be my picks. I'm going to count the Barcelona kids because they're at Barcelona, but I say that acknowledging I don't actually yet have an opinion on their ability.

GK: Andrew Rick, Julian Eyestone, Diego Kochen
    DF: Matthew Schenfeld, Ari Dejman, Brian Alanis, Alex Perez, Gabrial Brandon, Dane Agustin, Kelvin Da Costa
    MF: Matthew Corcoran, Jaden Francis, Mark Cajamarca, Adrian Simons Gill, Copeland Berkley, Luis Moreno, Owen Presthus, Sebastian Gonzalez, Izaiah Garza, Bajung Darboe
    FW: Matt Routzahn, Leonard Aviles, Patrick Shaw

Best XI:

Rick
    Schenfeld-Da Costa-Perez-Dejman
    Francis
    Corcoran-Simons Gil
    Presthus
    Darboe-Routzahn

CommunityShop, Eleven Bravo and ielag repped this.
  5. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of full roster predictions this early I think it is better to list the guys I think are going to be roster locks. Basically who are the elite prospects in this age group. Here are mine:

- Julian Eyestone (GK, FC Dallas)
    I think this kid is the most gifted GK prospect in any age group. He looks like a more improved Gabe Slonina/Chris Brady. Dallas lucked out

- Diego Kochen (GK, FCB Spain)
    When you are at La Masia and are reportedly doing well you are a lock imo

- Matthew Schenfeld (RB, FC Cinci)
    Just a great RB. Physical and technical but decision making needs work

- Javen Romero (LB, LAFC)
    Javen can play CB but from what I have heard Javen is preferred on the left long term by LAFC and YNT staff and is viewed as the top LB option in the age group

- Matthew Corcoran (6, FC Dallas)
    In my opinion Matthew is the best 06 in the country. Matthew has an, amazing passing range, is quick for a tall/lanky kid, is defensively sound, and has an IQ of a season pro already. I think this kid is champions league bound

- Mark Cajamarca (6, NYCFC)
    Mark is not allowed to play in his own age group in one of the most talent packed academies in the country which should say everything about his potential. An absolute wizard of a passer

- Adrian Gill (8, FCB Spain)
    Adrian is widely recognized as one of the best prospects in all of La Masia which is nuts because Konrad was not this well regarded at this age. Adrian is an American Iniesta. Lock for a roster

- Bento Estrela (8, NYRB)
    A physical freak who is also very skilled. Already offered a HG deal by NYRB over Kenan Hot and Daniel Edelman which is a huge testament to his talent. His IQ and work rate both need some work

- Aaron Heard (8, unattached)
    Undersized but quick and tidy center mid. Ridiculously high IQ and can do everything in the midfield. He reminds me of a young Moses Nyeman but unlike Moses Aaron will grow to be around 6ft as his dad is apparently 6’4. This kid has a high floor and high ceiling. Because he’s a late bloomer he could struggle to make initial rosters when competing with Adrian and Bento

- Axel Perez (10, Inter Miami)
    Axel is an 07 but in my opinion is the best 10 in the cycle. Axel putting it bluntly is just gifted. Axel is also training in Europe at different clubs every week who all rave about him. I have yet to see Axel play with younger than 05’s

- Bajung Darboe (W, Philly)
    Another physical freak but Bajung’s technical ability is also elite. I think Bajung needs to be quicker in his speed of thought but he’s also been a young 06 playing up at the u17 level and produces wherever he goes. Once his IQ and decision making is polished this kid will be unfair. He also has a phenomenal work rate, huge plus

- Gael Medrano (9, Philly)
    The Union staff rave about this kid and all say that he is just as talented as Darboe is. He has benched Marcelo Mazzola and sent Dominic Dubon packing. He has great size and is an elite finisher. An auto starter for me

- Michael Luande (9, Seattle)
    A tall, fast, and strong striker. Just a classic 9 who is very skilled but has to work on his soccer IQ. Michael is simply too good to not be in the team

These guys are my roster locks, outside of these guys I think every other spot is 100% up for grabs

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the list...

Julian Eyestone sounds like a comic book character.

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's also I think 6-5 at that young age so he kind of is a comic book character. Maybe he can morph into a super hero character.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  8. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is 6-5. Kid is extremely coordinated as well

9. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    If anyone has video or highlights of these players, much appreciated.

10. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most don’t have highlight tapes yet. You have to suffer through a full game with no sound on YouTube to watch most of them

ussoccer97531 and SUDano repped this.
  11. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Let's try a few and we'll see if it becomes a thing. I've looked for alot on Youtube and found alot of Philly Union and FC Dallas, a few DC United, a few PA Classics but can't find any specifically for a lot of these players.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    With bad camera angles, some of which include the sun being pointed directly into the camera lens.

13. JimLahey

JimLahey Member

Sheffield Wednesday
    United States
    Dec 25, 2020
    ‘06 Alessandro Maldonado’s Highlights. DCUs best current academy prospect IMO. Granted DCU doesn’t have a particularly strong academy, he’s been a bright spot in games I’ve seen.

SUDano, Winoman and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I find Maldonado to be very physically underdeveloped. He has brilliant technique with passing/shooting and can pull off some very creative plays, but he's a non-factor when the ball isn't at his feet and even against his own age group he struggles physically/athletically.

15. JimLahey

JimLahey Member

Sheffield Wednesday
    United States
    Dec 25, 2020
    I can agree with this but I’d also like to add the almost everything about him reminds me of a younger Richy Ledezma. Technically developed, awareness, silky, flair, chubbiness, unfit, but still able to impact games tremendously. As he gets older the last to points stated will get better and we’ll have a Ledezma 2.0

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Him and Isaiah Chisholm are excellent prospects for DC United who won’t reap a HG from any of their 04’s

Before I completely buy in on Maldonado I need to see how he performs at the u17 level which is a huge jump physically from the u15’s

JimLahey repped this.
  17. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Making specific long-term height projections based on the apparent height of one parent is absolutely next-level hype list material. Hat's off.

;)

ielag and Tactical Hipster repped this.
  18. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How tall was he when he turned two? Surely soccer fans should have this sort of knowledge!

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Who are the top 04/05 players who aren't in an MLS academy system?

Between Barca, some of the SoCal teams, Bethesda, Vardar, etc... there's usually some players that get overlooked or we don't find out about till they get to college or score a hat-trick in the Bundesliga.

We know they're out there. Do the people running the U17s know who they are?

20. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of my favorites is Diego Sanchez at Indiana Fire

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    This is what I had it as a month ago.

2004:

10. Leo Torres-CAM/Wing (San Antonio FC)
    25. Josemaria Barrera-CM (Sacramento Republic)
    32. Jonathan Dadzie-CB (Sacramento Republic)
    41. Connor Dawson-CB (Saint Louis FC)
    44. Korede Osundina-CF/Wing (Barca Academy)
    45. Jude Bosshardt-GK (San Antonio FC)
    47. Cade McGrath-Wing/CF (Real Jersey FC)
    58. Darian Castillo-Wing (Barca Academy)
    59. Luke Schaefer-CF/Wing (Phoenix Rising)

2005:

5. Brooklyn Raines-CM/DM (Barca Academy)
    12. Alexis Luna-Wing (Stanislaus United SC)
    16. Francis Jacobs-DM/CM (Orange County SC)
    18. Angel Bernal-RWB/RB (San Antonio FC)
    31. Milton Jones-Wing/AM (Real Jersey FC)

Eleven Bravo and jeff_adams repped this.
  22. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Camp soon?

23. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who tf is that guy. The only kid I know in the Dallas academy named Jordan is Jordan Jones who is no where near the level of a full fledged u17 YNT camp

24. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Jones was called in last year to the U17s as a barely turned 15 year old, so I suspect it is him.

25. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was only one year younger than the players called in. But in the 2005 age group he isn’t our best 6 option so it’d be surprising to see him called into the 2004’s unless Diego Lopez and Reed Baker-Whiting were also invited