The 2023 U-20 Player Pool Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by David Kerr, Dec 24, 2020.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feels like a loan won’t be till next summer. I imagine he goes to Chelsea in January, stays with them for the rest of the season, and is loaned out that summer.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  2. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope that’s what happens. I have no idea what their plans for him are personally, haven’t had much time to research properly. I just hope that he gets minutes somewhere, the higher the level the better obviously but as long as he’s facing shots from professional soccer players in official matches for a first team, not a reserve team, I’ll be happy

I’m not totally sure what the precedent is for loan players and getting releases for World Cups. Maybe someone else does but would Chelsea or the club he’s loaned to decide his release? I feel like if it’s Chelsea the chances are significantly better

3. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I like the transfer amount but don't like being bought by the Chelsea Loan Operational arm of Chelsea HQ. Never liked being bought by a conglomerate not willing to play for the main team, just to float away through the non-gravitational atmosphere of unknown future European Football.

4. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    don’t disagree but maaaybe they’re better with goalies?

last four goalies purchases for serious amounts:
    Courtious
    Asmir Begovic (always found him playing time at least?)
    Kepa
    Mendy

that’s since 2011. Idk just trying to be an optimist here.

Ray Shoesmith, Winoman and SUDano repped this.
  5. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Last Four they bought and initially sent out for loan, or just 4 of their GK in general?
    Do they still have GK on loan for years?

6. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Plenty of goalies on loan looks like haha. No those are the four bought for serious $$ like slonina. Overall not a fan of this move but they’ve found loan arrangements for goalies looks like

SUDano repped this.
  7. David Kerr

David Kerr Member+

United States
    Oct 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many of those keepers were extremely raw teenagers vs goalkeepers signed arguably in or close to their prime and immediately ready for their first team?

8. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    I think you know the answer ;).

9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Courtois was 19 when signed by Chelsea and had been the starter for one year at Genk when he was signed, Sort of along the lines of Slonina.

Mendy, Begović, and Kepa were way more experienced.

Winoman and TarHeels17 repped this.
  10. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think people forget that Courtois went straight out on loan when they bought him. For 3 years! To Atleti, of course, but still - it was a loan move to develop a player for the first team while Cech was still near the top of his game. Even when Courtois came back after playing in the Champions League final, it was still a competition between him and Cech, and Mourinho ended up going with Courtois for league games that year.

I liken Slonina's situation to what Alphonse Areola's was. Owned by a mega-team, but loaned out to teams that recognize supreme talent, and mostly an every game starter at a fairly high level.

Pl@ymaker, gomichigan24 and twoolley repped this.
  11. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #811 TheFalseNine, Aug 8, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2022
  12. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, Jack0503 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    My current 21 man roster.

GK: Slonina, Brady, Dewsnup
    DF: Freeman, Cuevas, Gomez, Neal, Craig, Walls
    MF: Karumanchi, McGlynn, Alvarado, Leyva, Nyeman, O.Wolff
    FW: Pepi, Mitchell, Paredes, Aaronson, Sullivan, Clark

Not all these players will be available, so the ideal 21 won't be able to happen. The two hardest for me to leave off right now are Dantouma Toure and Brian Gutierrez. As far as I'm concerned, Toure has jumped Cade Cowell for that athletic winger/CF spot. Toure has had a really good season. Cowell might be slightly better for now, but he's not having a good season, and I think that suspension factors into decision making. I still can't fit Toure anyway. Gutierrez I would probably have over Aaronson if it was a complete vacuum, but it's very close, and Aaronson played a key role during qualifying.

I can't find any room for any 05's either. Just too many deserving 03's and 04's. We want to win this also. Can't consider that someone might be able to return next cycle when trying to build a team to win this tournament.

14. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wild to think that the final roster won’t be announced for another 9 months. Just so much can happen in that timeframe!

15. Luksarus

Luksarus Member

United States
    Jul 27, 2018
    The U20 team will play the Revelations Cup in September 2022. They will face Mexico, Peru and Paraguay.
    The only thing I don't know is if it will be a tournament for the current U20 team, or if it will be a tournament for the next U20 team (2005).

16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd call in 23 players that weren't on the qualifying team to this tournament. Leaving aside Pepi (who I think there's no chance will be part of this team), this would be the top 23 I'd call in for this team that weren't part of qualifying.

GK: Slonina, Borto, Reyes
    DF: Freeman, Pierre, Walls, Che, Williams, Prince, Gomez, Wiley
    MF: Karumanchi, Morales, Chifamba, Nyeman, Wolff, Leyva
    FW: Paredes, Gutierrez, Mitchell, Freeman, Toure, Ikoba

Why call in 23 new players? Because it's 11 months between qualifying and the U-20 WC. We have a lot of other players that need to be tested out. I also came up with a standby list that has many good players, who wouldn't even make it into this camp.

Standby: Emmings, Sunderland, Reynolds, Orozco, Kinzner, Foster, Sorenson, Castilla, Gilman, Hot, Casas, Sarver, Koleosho, Sealy, Garcia, Roou, Otoya

As I've said previously, I don't see any room for 05's in this cycle. Too many good players who won't even get a chance from '03 and '04. Can't afford to test out 05's.

Boysinblue and Winoman repped this.
  17. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think Paredes will be a hard release. It's a FIFA window, so even though they can reject, I expect the MLS players to get a chance. Maybe Leyva, who has really solidified a starting spot.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Pardes is above that level.

19. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Count Toure out from U-20 contention. Torn ACL.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  20. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  21. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Damn, he tore everything. :(

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  22. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    no exit, SCSAutism, bballshawn and 2 others repped this.
  24. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Oh yeah. Atlanta better effin release him. Put pressure on them kid.

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    While updating my tracker to note Fletcher's pro deal, I wondered: Have I missed deals for any of these guys?

Booth Zach
    Downs Damion
    Guadalupe Quembol
    Van Deventer Jayvin

Karumanchi is in college, along with Dade. They're the other two current U20s with callups but no pro deals yet.