The 2023 U-17 Player Pool Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by David Kerr, Dec 24, 2020.

1. Campeones123

Campeones123 Member

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Sep 2, 2021
    Excluding the names that were in the last camp (Portugal), I was hoping to see names such as:

Jack Jeremiah (Sea)
    Brian Alanis (Hou)
    Pavel Romero (Atl)

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I liked the U-17 selections more than the U-16 ones.

I still don’t get why they like Soto and Ramos so much, especially Soto.

Aside from that, Granados is a player I’m very interested to see how he does. I think he’s on the verge of a big break through the last half of the year. Diaz also. Diaz looked good from what I saw last season, but rarely played for LAFC when I watched that team. Akinmboni gets a well deserved call in. He had an excellent season with DC IMO. Bell call in makes sense too. He’s been improving of late, and has obvious potential.

Glad we got Estrela into the mix. There are a lot of obstacles there to him reaching his potential, but he’s very talented player and he had been in camp with Portugal U-17’s recently.

Glad Shaul is getting a chance. He’s been pretty good the last six months. I also think Heard is starting to look better. He’s a December ‘06, so it might be that he needs more time to reach his potential than other 06’s. Jamison is another new inclusion. Very talented, but his game is still a long way off.

A lot of the other ones like Darboe, Gitau, Carmona, Zielinski are good selections also. Not many selections here I don’t understand.

Assuming players like Wellings, Somo, Medina, Moreno aren’t included because they are considered regulars that weren’t needdd for this camp, the players I still want to see get a chance are Corcoran, Presthus, Reed, Stanton, Peacock, Bishop, and Agustin. I also think Gill, Perkovich, Alanis, and Schenfeld need more of a chance than they’ve gotten.

The Corcoran one is puzzling. I have a theory, but I’m not convinced of it, so I won’t add fuel to the fire. Presthus, that one has been discussed a lot here, so no reason to beat the dead horse. Reed is probably too raw for a team trying to win games. I understand it, even though I’d still give him a chance. The two St Louis City kids (Bishop and Stanton) are fantastic. Don’t understand why they don’t give them more of a chance. Peacock has been doing great with DC. Don’t understand why they are so reluctant to call in kids from that title winning DC ‘06 group that has so much talent. It took them this long to call in Akinmboni. Agustin probably will fall off their radar slightly as he moves to SAFC, but that kid is really good also and I hope he gets a chance eventually.

Not too bad. I think this group is going in the right direction more than it was in the past. I don’t agree with all the selections and I think they are really off with the 07’s they are giving a chance, but I think they are giving a shot to most of the best 06’s. Up to these kids to perform once they get into these environments.

Luksarus and TheFalseNine repped this.
  3. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I notice that two Dynamo players, Anderson (GK) and Soto (F), come from the same area in California. This is where the Murrieta Soccer Academy, a member of MLS Next, is located. Looks like MSA may have cultivated a relationship with the Dynamo. This area is just outside the 75 mile zone from either LAFC or LAG.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  4. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it is because he's a goalscorer.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You're right that his goalscoring is probably what he brings mainly. I just watch him play, and I think he tops out as like a Jack McInerney type of striker who could score some goals and not look terrible in other areas, but I don't know that he scores goals at an elite rate and I think the rest of his game is very average.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Holocher came from Northern California so I’m sure he has soccer connections in several areas in the “open territories”. MSA has had good results with Hispanic players for a number of years.

Boysinblue, Peretz48 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  7. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I apologize- I didn't see the bottom of the article. Psoriasis, yikes.

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Was just the roster, right? I think it's all up on the US Soccer site now anyway?

TheFalseNine repped this.
  9. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the roster, but he got it from TopDrawer and it had a bunch of junk at the bottom, including a giant photo of a foot with psoriasis. But it was also the roster for the '07s, not the '06s. But some '07s will definitely be in the mix for the U-17s.

Peretz48 repped this.
  10. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Anderson had an offer from the Union too. Really, San Diego and Temecula-area clubs don't have to do much to cultivate interest from MLS Academy scouts. Certain ones (e.g., Union, Austin, Dynamo, RSL) already know it's a talent-rich area and have been mining that area because it is outside the 75 mile territories of the LA clubs. For RSL, it's been going on for years.

Peretz48, TheFalseNine and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  11. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. SoCalRedDevil

SoCalRedDevil Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 8, 2020
    Zeke and Nolan Anderson both came from Murrieta Surf now Murrieta Soccer Academy. Zeke's dad was one of the coaches. They were familiar with LAG/LAFC because of playing in the DA. There are players at LAFC & LAG from MSA and surrounding. I am under the impression that Soto wanted a residential program with schooling.

Peretz48, ussoccer97531 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. Michael_SD

Michael_SD Member

LAFC
    United States
    Mar 3, 2022
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I hope they give him a game or two soon. He's been on the bench a lot this season, but hasn't yet played. I understand that 16 year old pro goalies rarely are going to play, but at some point if they view him as a real immediate first team option they have to put him in a game sometime.

15. Michael_SD

Michael_SD Member

LAFC
    United States
    Mar 3, 2022
    He is getting all the Academy games and is also available to play ECNL games with U19 Surf team.

According to interview with Landon, getting games in is very important to the agreement. He will play all Cup games and he fully expects Duran to play in pre and regular season games next year, plus all Academy games.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. Agent_Orange

Agent_Orange Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Nov 17, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keyrol Figueroa!!

17. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I’m confused how he’s eligible, but he’s apparently pretty good.

Pl@ymaker and Agent_Orange repped this.
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. They announced his dad only got his Green Card in 2020, so that's not enough time. It's possible his mom got the Green Card instead, because she was a high-level handball player. But then why not get one for Maynor at the same time to save an MLS international slot?

That's the thing about this stuff ... you usually have to make a lot of assumptions to have any chance of understanding what's going on.

19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Mom's old tweet shows he's been a US citizen for quite a while now.

Bluecat82, SCSAutism, Winoman and 2 others repped this.
  20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Honduras fed said in a statement that the US U17s already invited him to the UEFA Development Tournament in May but it conflicted with Liverpool's schedule.

21. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Is this kid any good? I see he is with Liverpool but according to Transfermarkt he has only played 30 minutes.

22. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We don’t know yet. I don’t think any of us have watched him play. He’s pretty highly rated at Liverpool. While he’s only played 30 minutes so far, he’s one of only six 06’s who has played for the U-18’s so far this season. If he wasn’t part of their top group of 06’s getting minutes with the U-18’s, that might be more notable. I would also assert that Liverpool should have 6 06’s of note, so even if he was only 6th best of that group, he’s probably still a relevant player, to an extent.

Winoman repped this.
  23. Usa soccer11

Usa soccer11 Member

Man city
    Brazil
    Dec 29, 2020
    He was actually with houston dynamo last August training with the u17

Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  24. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #524 ussoccer97531, Sep 25, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    Now that the U-17 tournament is over, here is how I'd place the players from this most recent camp into four categories.

Category 1 (Should be part of "A" group): Medina, Soma, Gill, Verhoeven, Gitau, Kochen, Diaz
    Category 2 (Not part of "A" group but has a role): Jura, Mendoza, Shaul, Figueroa
    Category 3 (Not U-17 NT level for now): Beaudry, Hall, Hawkins, Heard, Burton, Romero
    Category 4 (Far out of place): Rudisill, Vasquez, Soto

A few of these were close and arguably between tiers. I'd probably ideally place Kochen and Diaz in category 2 if I'm picking things, but I'm also trying to be realistic. Figueroa probably is more of a category 3 player, but there's just so few '06 CF's who are any good. Hall, I would have little complaints arguing for category 2 on ability against players this age, but my issue with his spot is there's almost no way he's a pro CB. He'll be moved to RB/DM, like Tayvon Gray. Seems a waste when you could use the spot on someone who has a good chance to be a pro CB.

My ideal 23 for this group (bolded yet to be in U-17 camp):

GK: Reed, Peacock, Bishop
    DF: Schenfeld, Verhoeven, Alanis, Rivera ('07), Akinmboni, Stanton, Agustin, Manfroy ('07)
    MF: Corcoran, Granados, Soma, Wellings, Gill, Moreno
    FW: Ellis ('07), Kei ('07), Medina, Presthus, Gitau, Jamison

From this group, a few caveats needed. Granados isn't a citizen right now. They included him in a camp recently, so I suspect he's not that far away. I think Kei may also not be a citizen. Also probably not too far away, given how long he's been in the US.

Bolded players have not been in U-17 camps this cycle. Thats 12 of the 23, although two of them are 07's that have been in '07 camps (Rivera and Ellis).

The most substantial areas I see that this team needs to improve are a few things:

1. CB's and LB's

I do not think the CB's in the past tournament are going to hold up well as the competition gets better. I didn't think they were particularly good in this tournament either. I think changes are needed there to incorporate some different ones, including some more athletic ones and some ones who pass the ball better. Akinmboni is an obvious one, but I also feel like Zach Stanton is well past overdue of getting a U-17 call up. Dane Agustin probably won't be considered because he left Austin for San Antonio, but I feel like he'd help this group. Also, the '07 kid Manfroy at FCC should be part of this group. He's excellent. Absolutely could play up a year.

LB's are another problem. We played without LB's in this tournament. We rotated Verhoeven and Jura (both natural RB's) at LB. We have quality LB's in this age group. I don't know why we've yet to see them get a chance with this group. I'm very surprised Alanis has yet to get a chance. Seems like almost everyone rates him, except this coach. Rivera, he's been in some U-16 camps, so I'm hopeful that it's just a matter of time. Even if not, guys like Tahir Reid-Brown and Graham Jones would be upgrades on not playing with any natural LB's.

2. #9 Position

I realize it's not a completely easy fix. There are no '06 CF's who are that good. He's rotating between false nines, 07's, and average '06 CF's. Tough spot to be in.

I'd like to see a few of the better 07's get a chance. I was watching a few of Ellis early season games this weekend. People talk about Destin as a good option for this team. Ellis is already better than Destin. Destin will struggle to get into that Miami U-17 lineup. Now that he's fit, Ellis should be given a chance with this group.

I also fail to see why Kei has yet to get a chance. He's been pretty good in Next Pro. I get that he has the physical/athletic advantage and he may not necessarily be as good as that advantage gets lessened against older players, but how can you say that Burton, Figueroa, Soto are better current options? Don't see it. It must be citizenship or something else. Even if not Kei, someone like Tomo Allen or Ashton Gordon would bring more than the current options.

3. The midfield formation

I have little issue with most of the guys that are being picked. My main gripe would be that we've yet to see Corcoran. He deserves a chance. I think he's the best option we have there.

I do not think that the coach is setting out the midfield well tactically. I think there needs to be a tweak. Medina needs to move to the wing. He can't play inside for this group, and we need him as a winger anyway.

We need to play with 8's that can actually bring a defensive contribution. Gill, Wellings, Soma. That can allow for maybe one guy that doesn't contribute (Moreno), but the rest need to be able to contribute.

4. Goalkeepers

This is more of a minor quibble. The coach loves Kochen (he's in just about every camp and captain a few times). I think Kochen is okay. The other goalkeepers they've tested out, I'm not entirely seeing what they're doing with the selections, although Anderson from the last camp I saw recently and I thought was pretty good. Cairney, I don't mind either.

I feel like Peacock and Bishop are way past overdue getting a shot with this team. I think they are a significant upgrade over the guys that've been the Kochen back up in all these camps. Probably the two most consistent performing '06 GK's out there. Even more so than Kochen, who is very good in that area.

Reed is starting to come around recently, and has great potential. He'll be marked as too error prone for now. This is a coach who picks Hall/Hawkins as his CB's, so obviously we see he wants youth football consistency out of his players. However, I hope we see him get a chance at some point because I believe he's probably going to go past these other GK's on current performance at some point in the next few years.

25. SCSAutism

SCSAutism Member

United States
    May 9, 2017
    Peretz48, ussoccer97531 and Winoman repped this.