The 2023 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by NFLPatriot, Jan 6, 2023.

1. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep, that chart looks far less dire if it's a 0-100 scale instead of 70-100.

2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not an insignificant percentage though. It's steadily declining. That said, ESPN/Disnwy has likely recouped some of that lost revenue, or at least offset some of it through their OTT subscription offerings.

3. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1403 FoxBoro 143, Mar 21, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    I believe you already know this and were asking more rhetorically, but no it does not include streaming cable bundles. YTTV, Hulu and Sling have at least 12m additional subscribers from what I can tell, and they pay the same or similar carriage fees as traditional cable providers. So the drop off of cable is not as pronounced, at least from the perspective of the broadcaster of the key channels that are part of nearly all streaming bundles. Fringe channels that are not as commonly included in streaming bundles are getting punished.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  4. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm 99% sure that they're not included, but I haven't seen anything that actually confirms it.

There's also the issue of Sling TV listing total subscribers around 2.3 million, but I haven't seen a breakdown of the Orange, Blue, and Orange+Blue specifics. I've seen 5 million for YouTube TV about a year ago, 4 million for Hulu Live TV a little farther back than that, 1.2 million for FuboTV, and that 2.3 million for Sling. So yeah, 11-12 million seems like a safe bet.

5. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We looked at Sling, but ESPN and Fox Sports being on different packages made us a no-go. I understand for balancing costs, bit it's a bummer.

Chesco United and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  6. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I had Sling for a bit. Then tried Hulu Live TV with the Disney+/ESPN+ bundle, and then moved to YouTube TV. They all have issues. Sling is the best if what you want to watch is on one of the packages only. Hulu is the best if you want to watch ESPN+ content since it's integrated into the UI. YouTube is the best if you want the DVR storage, now the multiscreen viewing, and soon the NFL Sunday Ticket bundle. It was cheaper than Hulu until this latest price hike.

I think I mentioned it earlier, but I can't believe nobody is trying to do the sports streaming equivalent of Philo. Philo is 70+ channels without any sports channels or local networks. Literally just give me all the sports channels, minus the RSNs, and I'd gladly pay $30-40 a month for it. I'm sure the reason that's not available is Disney and probably Comcast not wanting to participate.

7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We went YouTubeTV to Hulu Live to nothing. We were watching nothing but sports live, and with MLS and USNT games not on the platforms any longer, away we went.

Dyvel and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USNT's are on TNT now, though some games are being exclusively streamed on HBOMax.

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aye, which is why we added HBOMax. We'll do the basic Peacock package too (the TNT games are on Peacock as well so we can pay $5 a month rather than a whole cable package).

Mike03, jaykoz3, MLSfan66 and 1 other person repped this.
  10. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    The 2022-23 college football final averaged 22 million viewers on ESPN.

So at the very least two thirds of ESPN subscribers didn't watch it.

wantmlsphilly repped this.
  11. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
  13. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The video quality is terrible.

MLSfan66 repped this.
  14. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    And I could stop paying for Peacock.

Dyvel repped this.
  15. BassNFool

BassNFool Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article says they want domestic distribution rights. If it is correct, the US market wouldn't be part of the bid

jaykoz3 repped this.
  16. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    But that's because NBC has those rights wrapped up through 27/28.
    If Apple get English broadcast rights, they will certainly go after US ones when they're available.

NorthBank and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  17. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that a Premier League problem? I don't believe NBC actually has cameras in the stadium, they are just grabbing the international feed.

jaykoz3 and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  18. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That feed is a mezzanine quality feed that needs to be compressed and distributed locally (and over the streaming service). Usually the satellite link is taken in at NBC's facility and converted to the correct frame rate and colorspace. UK is PAL50 and the US is NTSC 29.97 or ATSC 59.94. Sports is usually higher frame rate (increasing the data rate) so when bandwidth is an issue the bitrate is dropped to accommodate the frame rate. Ideal would be 12-15Mbps at the top of the adaptive ladder at 1080P60.

Mike03 repped this.
  19. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there an English translation of this. Haha.

Dyvel and NorthBank repped this.
  20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    They have to convert the video so there are plenty of opportunities for them to mess it up.

21. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and NBC sacrifices bitrate (quality) for file size and that's why it looks like over-compressed ass.

22. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good catch. On a quick read I didn't notice that. But PHEW! Even if NBC were to shift 100% to Peacock, which I REALLY don't want them to do, nor do I think they will, I'd still rather have them in charge than Apple. At least from what I've seen in their roll-out of MLS Season Pass, which has growing pains to say the least.

I suppose Apple could end up being the most terrific platform/coverage there's ever been, but they have a good long ways to go before they achieve that. And I'm content to wait for them to cut their teeth with MLS or UK-rights to EPL.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Their main issue with MLS is UI related. I haven't seen issues with actual match coverage except for occasional video stuttering. The Ui though - oh man, sooooo bad.

BassNFool repped this.
  24. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1424 NorthBank, Mar 24, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    Yeah the UI needs serious work. If they want to they could fix that pretty easily I figure.

ATV+ video quality, including the freezes or crashes (which on a small sample size, I'd say is worse than most of their competition), should also be fixable, it's just harder for them to know about the type & frequency of problems we're having.

And then there's the "content" itself, which includes announcing crews, pre-game, post-game, highlights, weekend wrap-ups, etc. I've only watched 1-2 NYRB matches, so it's too early for me to pass judgment on this, but my take is that at this point they're pretty far behind where MSG/NBC's production has been, for NYRB/EPL respectively.

25. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I think for fans of teams that already had decent local coverage this is a lateral or even backwards step. For most of the league though, the production quality is a massive improvement.