News: The 2023/24 Season Preview/Review Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Jun 13, 2023.

1. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Wasn't that the league cup?

2. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    what difference does it make though

benni... repped this.
  3. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    How are we only 6 points off the top of the table after being so crap so far?

SF19, thefly and Deadtigers repped this.
  4. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Scheduling. It's been kind since September. End of story.

This time next month, we could be 15 points off the top or 3 points off the top in my opinion. It could swing that wildly in either direction.

SF19, benni... and Deadtigers repped this.
  5. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I just had to report this response because I cant surprised at your question.

Yes it was the cup. Newcastle's bench embarrassed us at Old Trafford 3-0.

6. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

Perspective lads!!

SF19 repped this.
  7. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    here's some more perspective for you @Deadtigers

FYI, these are the 'kids' already qualified Bayern played today and likely what we have to face to salvage whatever we hope to from the group. København didn't win today (0-0) so we're not mathematically eliminated.

1 M Neuer (c)
    27 K Laimer
    8 L Goretzka
    2 D Upamecano
    19 A Davies
    6 J Kimmich
    22 R Guerreiro
    11 K Coman
    25 T Müller
    39 M Tel
    9 H Kane

Substitutes
    7 S Gnabry
    10 L Sané
    18 D Peretz
    20 B Sarr
    26 S Ulreich
    41 F Krätzig
    45 A Pavlović

8. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We scored 3 goals 3 times away - 9 goals ..... and came away with a single point :ROFLMAO:

That takes some truly dire defending to concede 11 goals in 3 games.

I have seen nothing this season to suggest we have the defence required to do anything in any of the cup competitions. Would probably rather we don't make it into the Europa to save the pain of watching us in Europe and to get away from that nasty Thursday / Sunday nightmare.

Deadtigers, benni... and majspike repped this.
  9. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    the most disheartening thing about today's game wasn't the result or the effort. it's the starting lineup.

Onana, Wan-Bissaka, Maguire, Shaw, Dalot, Mainoo, McTominay, Rashford, Fernandes, Garnacho, Martial

minus the underlined players this is the same side (+Lindelöf lately too) that we definitively know wasn't good enough under Solskjær and Rangnick that we were meant to be moving away from. basically the same football that was deemed not good enough too.

all we need to do is re-sign Fred and we're there. it's a lovely ode to our dog shit recruitment

benni... repped this.
  10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Erik made it pretty clear through his selections in his first season that there was no place for a number of those above - Maguire, AWB, McT, Martial.

All the above have effectively been told by EtH they are not wanted at various times.

Then we fail to sign a CB (despite that being the first signing Erik had lined up in Kim Min-Jae), we only sign one young inexperienced #9 (despite losing a number of strikers).

AWB getting a reprieve is forced because of Dalot having to cover our LB injuries.

McT getting games is on Erik - his signings (we assume) of Mount / Amrabat have just not worked out so far.

Rashford throwing a hissy fit because Garnacho is being selected ahead of him at LWF is not helping. That was some lazy ass performance against Newcastle on the back of a number of other garbage performances since he got his new contract. As a club, we just cannot let players like Rashford get away with this behaviour.

Why though let Rashford (and Martial) mail it in this game for 60 minutes before getting subbed?

If we give in to these players, we will continue to be effed as a club.

I am still for keeping the manager - the issue has always been and continues to be some of these players.

That said Erik needs to stop digging his own grave with some of these decisions (Maguire over Varane, McT over anybody, overrun single-pivots in away games, players mailing it in without getting subbed etc.).

11. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    McT plays because he scored some goals here and there. That’s all on EtH. It’s easy to see that he is a nothing entity in midfield. Let Amrabat play alongside Mainoo. We don’t need to see a run of McT in midfield. Everyone knows he’s no good there.

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agree with all of this. ETH has been getting some heat for falling out with players, but I think that’s a good thing. He’s drawing a line in the sand and if you don’t follow orders you’re out. He needs to take that stance with everyone, especially Rashford. Weeding out the mentally weak players and ones that will turn on the manager is hugely important.

benni... and Deadtigers repped this.
  13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Cant argue with most of this …

14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When it comes to ETH and anyone that thinks he needs to go, my questions is always...who available is better and would it even make a difference beyond the initial new manager bump?

These same core players have thrown Ole and Jose under the bus as well. They'll keep doing it to a new manager. And beyond that, there's zero recruiting at this club so any new manager will be given money to buy a random assortment of players that doesn't fit under any specific style of play and will be thrown in with the hodgepodge we currently have. Until we get a proper DOF and recruiting department to take over footballing direction and recruitment, it doesn't really matter who is in charge so may as well stick by ETH unless things get really bad.

benni..., CybrSlydr and munjun68 repped this.
  15. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Shout out to this post by @Belgian guy

16. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Fun fact: we're the only team that hasn't tied a game in the PL. Domination or defeat, there is no between.

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    It looks like ten Hag is still master and commander of the ship.

I suspect he'll want to impress the brass at Bayern and hope for something against Liverpool. I wonder if he risks playing a "weakened" team against Bournemouth.

Deadtigers repped this.
  18. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    it's weird that despite all these messy midfield displays ten Hag still can't find any use for van de Beek.

you'd think Amrabat and van de Beek would at least have the distribution and recycling possession part down

Deadtigers, CybrSlydr and benni... repped this.
  19. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Part of why I’m so curious as to what’s going on behind doors.

Deadtigers, CybrSlydr and benni... repped this.
  20. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anyone who really knows football knows that Donny is just not a #6, especially at this level.

City were without Rodri last night and lost. Their other two defeats in the EPL this season were also when Rodri was unavailable. They went out the EFL cup …. when Rodri didnt play :)

DM is such a key position. Amrabat had his best game for us and we looked so much better. Mainoo looking promising there too. Cas to come back.

Donny is an #8 or #10 and with Bruno, Eriksen, McT, Mount and Cas etc. ahead of him in EtH thinking there is just no room for Donny with us.

SF19 and thefly repped this.
  21. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    He's much more of a 6 that Scott, and Mason Mount are and both these guys have played in that double pivot more than once this season.

Your point stands though. I'd be curious to see Donny in Scott's position.

Deadtigers repped this.
  22. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i really want to know what Varane did. i read or heard something suggesting it was petty.

and if there is/was an issue with Amrabat

23. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Amrabat feels like it is more down to Amrabat having to adjust to league and teammates plus the fact EtH has adjusted his midfield setup. So maybe just more time needed in training on details and familiarisation rather than an issue with Amrabat as such.

Agree 100% on Varane though - just has to be more to this.

SF19 repped this.
  24. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I mean, Maguire was voted PL Player of the Month so…

25. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    From Slabhead to The Slab!