The 2022 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by POdinCowtown, Jan 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLB and the NHL* are very dependent on the local TV money. As at least here in the states the World Series and Stanley Cup Playoffs are the main drivers of national interest. I personally like Hockey, but don't really watch it (mainly because the Sabres have sucked for 10+ years now and are rarely on TV here in Philly). IF the RSN's collapse, that would have a profound effect on most of MLB, outside of NY, Chicago, LA, St. Louis and possibly Philly**.

One aspect of this that gets overlooked is the minor league systems for MLB and the NHL. Those are largely subsidized by the parent teams. A lot of that money likely comes from the local TV deals. Those minor league (development league) teams are a major source for fans of and interest in baseball and hockey. Not to mention players. How the local TV coverage/RSN landscape shakes out/evo;ves is going to have a major impact to baseball and hockey in the US.

*The NHL's national deals in Canada are a major revenue source, which could help offset a loss in RSN money in the States. Though that's a substantial loss of revenue for the stateside teams.

**Depends on if the Phillies are good. When they are good they draw, when they're not....people check out and lean even more into the Eagles and the 76ers (when they're good).

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc repped this.
  3. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's WST. I'm half surprised that he didn't list Howard Cosell.

eddygee, Chesco United, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this anyone else's first time hearing about MLS on Pluto?

Ismitje, Dyvel, Chesco United and 8 others repped this.
  6. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    jaykoz3 repped this.
  7. eagercolin

eagercolin Member

Metro
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Buffalo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's mostly highlight packages like every Philly Union save of 2021 along with random complete games from the last 20 years. Kinda cool, but hardly a loss.

sitruc and HailtotheKing repped this.
  8. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was it basically just a compilation of MLS soccer.com videos, plus some classic matches, or did it actually have some exclusive content?

9. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pluto was mostly old games and stuff you can watch on YouTube. I never watched an exclusive show that I can remember. After a while I just watched YouTube. They would broadcast extra time podcast but you could watch it anytime on YouTube.

10. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    I’d also suspect since it was Pluto, there were a few commercials.

11. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    They call things like Pluto "FAST" for "free ad-supported streaming television".

Pluto, Tubi, Freevee, Xumo, Crackle, it's all absolute garbage I have no idea why anyone is bothering.

The names alone tell you you've reached the sedimentary layer of the lobotomized detritus of our culture.

12. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about that. I've watched plenty of old tv shows on demand for free. They have comedy channels, science channels, food channels & streaming music. Not exactly a total waste when you can stream from anywhere for free.

HailtotheKing, Mike03, jaykoz3 and 2 others repped this.
  13. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    The problem with Pluto is it seems they have about double or more the number of ads as regular commercial TV.

I remember watching an episode of My Favorite Martian on Pluto. Just too many ads to keep watching.

14. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea I've stumbled onto them because they have tons of documentaries on fairly obscure topics. Overall worth the price tag lol.
    I've never watched any of the curated channels though.

wantmlsphilly and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  15. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pluto was the only free place to watch the John Wick movies for about 6 months. The 1968 version of The Thomas Crown Affair is only available through the FAST options. Tons of classic movies and TV (including stuff into the 00s) on Roku Channel, Pluto, and Tubi. The only streaming service that is getting a lot of the things I want to watch/rewatch is Peacock, and it's still got the worst interface on Earth (at least on a Roku TV) so I'll take the ads.

I really like the Roku and Tubi interfaces and gladly watch everything except streaming originals there instead of most of the bigger streaming services.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  16. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Pluto is owned by Paramount Streaming which makes it odd to me that it's so bad while Paramount+ is maybe my favorite of the pay streaming services.

17. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    As a PSA you can rent any movies without the commercials for like 3-4 bucks on Amazon Prime.

18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Paramount Plus is absolutely the worst of all services when it comes to their tech. It can't even remember what you watched it where you left off, recommendation engine is useless, the whole thing is basically non-functional.

19. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And a bunch of other places as well, but why throw away money on something that's literally free if you have the attention span of a functional adult? If I watch 3-4 movies and watch 10-12 episodes of the older stuff a month, I can either pay $4 per movie and $2 per episode for a total of $32-40 per month or I can pay $0.

I'll stick with $0. The streaming services are great for their original content, sports, and newer movies recently out of the theater. Occasionally something like the "Superfan" episodes of The Office on Peacock with appear. Everything else is a waste of money.

20. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was ok something I'd watch during the late in the off season when I really had a itch to watch some MLS to get me pumped for the season.

Believe it or not CBS paid a 7 figure rights fee to MLS for the Pluto MLS rights.

But agree with others it's not going to be something sorely missed it was just a compilation to find the weird stuff like the random MLS Is Back game between SKC and Columbus you forgot about or the 2012 MLS Cup. However these games had commercial breaks in them but the game would resume where it was previously after the commercial break.

I hope Apple TV carries the MLS Review Show

21. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping for a little more than that. Each team should have some sort of weekly show possibly after the game on a Sunday or Monday at a local bar talking about the last game. Maybe a coach or player as a co-host. Give some updates about the MLS next pro team and the academy.

22. eagercolin

eagercolin Member

Metro
    United States
    Aug 25, 2017
    Buffalo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Pluto has both an MST3K and Rifftrax channel. British cooking shows. Degrassi!

23. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pluto is great ... seriously. Full stop.

mbar, QuarkspaceDotCom and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  24. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So….allegedly mls tv on apple+ will be live in 27 days?

I wonder what programming will look like on 2/1/23

25. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that true or it's It you can sign up for the season?