The 2022 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by POdinCowtown, Jan 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The chart here says otherwise.

Outside of paying a premium for DirecTV Stream, there's a very sparse set of options. Fubo is probably the best, but it's a no go for me because it's lacking the TBS/TNT package from Warner and that eliminates a lot of NHL games and a huge chunk of the NCAA tournament. Bally has its own app now, MASN (Nationals and Orioles) isn't available anywhere, Longhorn Network is only on Sling, YouTube TV carries 9, etc.

Westside Cosmo and Fighting Illini repped this.
  2. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Yup, that does suck. BeIn Sports was a nice part of it, at least until La Liga left for ESPN+

And wow, I had no idea the RSN availability was so NBC-specific. Which makes approximately zero sense given that they're owned by Comcast whose lunch is beating eaten by these services.

It's an absolute primordial Hobbesian jungle out there at this moment, it's all pretty crazy.

Do not be surprised if the next turn in this is multiple of the major US leagues coming together on an over-the-top direct-to-consumer product that essentially bundles nationally via streaming what all these RSN's are delivering by wire locally.

Nine zillion little problems between here and there, but that's the vision they think is right to pursue next.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  3. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Netflix's DVD mail service still exists.

sitruc, JasonMa, Fighting Illini and 2 others repped this.
  4. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four year deal for the linear rights seems notable.

Coming out of the 2026 World Cup (and hopefully big buzz and big ratings) and with still six years left on the Apple deal.

I think my MLS is betting on being able to sell the remaining six years of linear rights for more.

5. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You think those who would watch in TUDN will follow MLS to Apple? It doesn't apply to me, I don't really care cause I'm going to get Apple. But I just don't see alot of those casuals that would watch in TUDN subscribing to Apple to follow MLS. Hope I'm proven wrong though.

harrylee773 repped this.
  6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My point is that the ratings show there aren't a significant number of casuals just coming across games and tuning in right now, so worrying about losing them with the Apple move is pointless.

7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on how much they want to watch MLS, right?

8. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If they follow MLS to Apple they aren't casuals.

I guess time will tell if it was a good move or not. So far they are set with Apple for the next couple of years. Let's see how TV evolves in the coming years.

9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Staying on Fox is pretty big. MLS needs to at least start on the peripheral vision of casuals. We can't go full niche. Also, if Messi signs with Miami, how badly does ESPN regret their decision? Beckham's debut was watched by 3 million. How many would watch Messi's?

10. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Remember that Apple also has a casual audience checking out its content, most pertinently Ted Lasso.

11. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would it matter how many watched to ESPN? They need advertising dollars to make a profit and it looks like they've given up on soccer now. How many subscribe outside the U.S. to Apple and MLS is the bigger story as MLS gets a cut after reaching a set subscriber number.

12. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Your home of the Bundesliga, La Liga, Eredivisie, English Championship and FA and League Cups (among others) has not given up on soccer in any way shape or form, they're just coming at it from a different angle.

We just reached an inflection point where using the fairly small MLS hardcore audience as a guinea pig for the paywalled streaming future was worth so much more to Apple than conventional linear ESPN Game of the Week type coverage plus local market pittances that MLS felt they couldn't ignore it.

In a different context, the Big Ten reportedly turned down a higher bid from Amazon than what they accepted from CBS for a weekly college football telecast replacing the SEC in that 2:30PM Saturday slot.

It's the Wild West out there right now. Some will end up rich, some will end up dead. Choose wisely.

crookeddy repped this.
  13. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For now, sure. Apple is apparently after the Eredivisie rights. Bundesliga coverage has been filled with lost feeds, streams not starting for 8-10 minutes or more after kickoff, and other glaring issues that have people thinking they'll move to a different provider. At this point I suspect ESPN is going to go for La Liga and maybe the future Ligue 1 rights, along with the stuff they have from England while letting everything else flounder or leave.

14. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Yeah we'll see. There's the broader question of whether ESPN is even a viable business model anymore.

15. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would think that Disney would roll all of their various streaming services into a single one at some point...

JasonMa and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The ESPN branding is too big to be rolled into something. More likely to be spun off.

17. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    This very back and forth currently roiling the newly mashed up boardroom of HBO Warner Turner Discovery (but also CNN and the DC Comic Books Universe and and and)

Anyway, the bad news here is this industry either secures constant, quarter-by-quarter revenue growth from your and my pockets or it dies, and it won't be allowed to die.

We love to live in terminal late capitalism don't we folks?

18. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep, and yet they seem to instead seem to be splitting them into 3 very distinct items. Disney+ gets the classic Disney/kids content along with NatGeo, Marvel, and Lucasfilm. Hulu is getting all the documentary, "real crime" miniseries, more traditional TV, and FX content. ESPN+ is getting the sports content. The bundle does put ESPN content on the Hulu homepage, but that's about it. They even bill differently depending on whether or not you set up your bundle through Hulu or Disney+. It's cumbersome to say the least.

Yoshou and Fighting Illini repped this.
  19. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question about Paramount+. It says live NFL games....is that ALL of the games CBS broadcasts on Sunday or just the ones that are airing in your local market?

20. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Just local market. Thus protecting the moat around Sunday Ticket, the new deal for which will be fascinating whenever it comes, rumor has it with Apple.

sitruc, jaykoz3 and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  21. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's where VPN comes in handy. Lubbock is the only market in West Texas that shows Houston Texans games instead of the game of the week, so I either use the antenna for the Amarillo feed or I use VPN and grab one if I'm watching something else on the TV.

jaykoz3 and Fighting Illini repped this.
  22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the lack of a traditional TV deal will show up in decreased interest in local markets of teams stuck in MLS 2.0 or similar (Houston, Dallas, Chicago, etc.). Used to joke that UniMas was the "unofficial home station of the Houston Dynamo" because the Dynamo typically have 4-6 games on UniMas and 0 games on Fox or ESPN each year. Are Spanish language viewers really going to tune in to Apple TV+ AND pay for the MLS package in Houston market?

Now, a fair counterpoint is that after years of being on a variety of local RSNs (AT&T Sports, Fox SW, CSN Houston - which actually paid a rights fee until it went bankrupt) , local UHF channels, and even a digital subchannel of the CBS affiliate (11.2!!), it was already hard enough for fans to find the Dynamo so if they care they will buy Apple TV+ MLS. But any local casual viewer is largely gone in this deal. Last few years they were on AT&T Sportsnet with Astros and Rockets so they at least had decent exposure.

It will be interesting, maybe Apple throwing a ton of resources elevates the profile of MLS

harrylee773 and STR1 repped this.
  23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to bump my own prior post. where is they guy who thought MLS would get a big linear rights fee from Fox or ESPN even after the Apple TV deal?

JasonMa repped this.
  24. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terminal?

JasonMa and Fighting Illini repped this.
  25. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you! Been mulling paring back my cable plan. Looking at Paramount+/Showtime. As a Bills fan living in Philly, was hopeful that maybe I could watch Bills games on P+. Here's hoping that Apple gets a deal over the line for Sunday Ticket. :thumbsup:

JasonMa and TheJoeGreene repped this.