The 2022 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by POdinCowtown, Jan 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Meanwhile, the Disney Bundle price still isn't changing. I'm baffled by how that works, but so far ESPN+ has gone up in price twice without the bundle price moving at all.

The only way the ESPN+ price hike can be justified is if they roll all the cable programming in without requiring a TV provider.

AlbertCamus and sitruc repped this.
  2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004

sitruc repped this.
  3. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same...I have a Note 20 but I'll be subscribing as well just to support the league and probably just watch on the TV app, which are LG so webOS.

4. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004

GunnerJacket repped this.
  5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
  6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I was listening to a Colorado Rapids fan podcast called Holding the Highline, and they brought up a concern that I hadn't fully considered.

I've been a little worried that being on streaming lowers the profile of the league, however I figured, like others, that more people are and will be unplugging; and that a handful of games will still be on regular channels. I also think that more sports bars will have streaming services in the future. But will Apple have licensing requirements for bars? Thus, if a group wants to watch the Rapids at a bar for an away game, even if the bar has a apple TV subscription, will they have to have a license to host a watching party? If so, that is a concern.

7. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    They will, because Apple is getting the NFL, aren't they?

8. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I don't know anything about that, but if so, good point.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

AlbertCamus repped this.
  10. blacktide

blacktide Member

Feb 25, 1999
  11. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is the same Forbes that was claiming in May that MLS wasn't going to "get the megadeal they want," and in several articles since the announcement with Apple in June has downplayed the deal and literally ran an article saying it's "Not so great" for the league. A week ago they begrudgingly admitted that the Apple deal means MLS is growing, but of course added the caveat that it has a long way to go.

Why are we still giving credence to their MLS TV deal takes?

eddygee, HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.
  12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wouldn't be surprising if ESPN and FOX are low balling MLS at this juncture. Seeing as they no longer have exclusivity, control over matchups and time slots. Also have to consider that each broadcaster has overpaid for a lot of TV rights in the past few years.

What content is actually on FS1??? ESPN has money losers in the PAC 12 Network and the ACC Network. Plus they fund the Longhorn and SEC Networks. Interestingly, Comcast now carries the ACC Network, which was quietly added to zero fanfare from all parties. That suggests that Comcast got what they wanted....

I'm surprised MLB still puts up with the ill treatment they get from FOX and ESPN. With NFL camps opening....MLB will get even less coverage on ESPN than already do.

I'm kind of surprised that FOX isn't going for more games seeing as they have the 2026 World Cup and all....and really no other Soccer properties of note.

HailtotheKing and GunnerJacket repped this.
  13. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd expect them to negotiate a certain level of control on scheduling. The announced Wednesday/Saturday scheduling left a caveat for linear TV schedules.

The biggest non-soccer things on FS1 are: MLB, a weekly game or two and most of FOX's postseason coverage outside of the World Series; college sports: Lots of those contracts are expiring amid the latest conference shuffles, but it's likely to have the new Big Ten deal--biggest games on broadcast and next tier on FS1; NASCAR.

Yes, I would think they would want some things to keep their personnel active. Outside of the FIFA events (which are more than 2026, to be fair) they just have some CONCACAF things (the ones that haven't moved to CBS/Paramount) and they show some LigaMX games in English.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Forbes article is the one the tweet links to as its source for the numbers. An article can't corroborate itself.

This is the same Forbes that kept putting out team valuation numbers that were consistently shown to have no basis in reality. I've had their numbers on ignore for years. But the tweet was notable as an indication that there is some movement towards deals going on.

ESPN has nothing to do with the Pac-12 Network. Its actually one of the (many) reasons the Pac-12 is currently in the crisis their in.

15. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read this article and find it very relatable to MLS right now compared to the NHL leaving ESPN. For those not old enough to remember leaving network TV for cable was looked at almost the same as leaving for streaming today. ESPN became the standard in sports cable years after they started and the NHL jumping to VERSUS was looked at as a huge mistake much like the move to Apple.
    https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/leaving-espn-mistake-nhl-150932613.html

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Side note:

Payouts to ACC members on behalf of the ACCN is based on revenues generated by the channel, AFTER accounting for ESPN's production costs. This is a big part of the reason the ACC schools earn less media revenue than the SEC (another ESPN produced channel) despite having comparable channel distribution numbers, as their rates are lower and commercial revenues are lower. This is actually part of the lesson learned by ESPN after deploying the Longhorn Network and seeing what was and wasn't working for the BTN, so the contracts assured the folks at Disney the same mistakes wouldn't be repeated.

So the ACCN may not be a windfall for ESPN, but it's not a money loser, either.

How much this changes with the further asinine consolidation of power brands remains to be seen.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using BigSoccer mobile app

sitruc, HailtotheKing and JasonMa repped this.
  17. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I think that is why MLS should continue to give some games to ESPN cheap, to make they are still included in Sports Center coverage, etc... Same for giving some games to FOX cheap, for whatever their Sports Center equivalent is.

18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The thing is what happens when Apple doesn't choose to renew? Now the networks say "well we are paying you $7 million, here is $10 million, take it or leave it".... Though who knows what the landscape will even look like when its time for that.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think its a safe bet that neither MLS or ESPN/FOX wants to sign a 10 year deal this year. So whatever the number is in 2023 isn't going to be the number when the Apple deal expires.

And of course when that happens they won't be negotiating for 1-2 games a week, they'll be bidding on the full package so that's going to necessitate a different number.

20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Side note - is this deal the absolute beginning of the end for RSNs?

21. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox doesn't have a sportscenter equivalent. Also, Sportscenter rarely shows MLS game highlights as it is.

22. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a decade when they do that MLS will say okay and fold up the tents and that will be it for soccer in the United States. You'll be able to have a virtual implant installed directly into your brain and for $29.99 a month you'll sit in a virtual seat at any game you wish to watch in Europe. The technology will be unreal but cancellation and extraction of the implant will be quite costly so choose wisely.

23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    262k for Chelsea vs Club America on TUDN.
    156k watched Pumas vs Celta Vigo.

Most watched soccer match of the week was the Hudson River Derby 283k on ESPN.

24. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    USL on ESPN2 got 60k on the 4th of July...

25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #1200 GunnerJacket, Jul 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Per your post further above, Atlanta vs Orlando got higher ratings by virtue of being on ABC just prior to the Hudson Derby.

TheJoeGreene repped this.