Post-match: The 2020 "What Polling Got Wrong" Thread...

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Dr. Wankler, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Quoth Argentine Soccer Fan...

"How realistic is it that all those polls could be wrong?"

We had a massive weeks long discussion in 2016, and a very short discussion in 2018. Let's see what 2020 holds in store. Were the polls generally accurate, wildly inaccurate, or only deficient because they did not factor in a coup? To quote the eminent cartoon journalist Kent Brockman... "Only time. Will tell."

American Brummie, crazypete13 and xtomx repped this.
  2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    This thread sucks

rslfanboy and xtomx repped this.
  3. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe Biden won Alaska and Kansas

Futbol_Head, rslfanboy and xtomx repped this.
  4. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, the polls in 2012 underestimated Obama's support.

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Utah was the big surprise for me.

Of course Trump won his home state of New York as expected.

song219 and Sebsasour repped this.
  6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another thing to keep in mind from 2016...

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/pa/pennsylvania_trump_vs_clinton-5633.html

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/pennsylvania/

A LOT more polling has been done on swing states in the final few days. We didn't just have big shifts due to Comey and other events. We had relatively few polls. We have more data. If there was a shift, we'd have seen it.

Seriously. If the polls are wrong, we're not going to know the *causes* for weeks, if not months.

NORML, Pauncho and QuakeAttack repped this.
  7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Like that would stop us from talking about it!!!

Hence the thread.

NORML repped this.
  8. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The extradimensional invasion was a bit of a twist but I can't shake the feeling that 538 should have had some kind of additional uncertainty factor to cover the possibility. How did they miss that?

I, for one, welcome our new shoggoth overlords.

Mr. Bandwagon, NORML and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    In case you haven’t noticed something interesting on RCP this time around: they seem to be cherry picking polls. They have completely excluded some high quality polls, they’ve adjusted their time window, and they’ve been flooded with partisan polls in the last few days. So they’re showing a horse race narrative in places like PA, but if you took a rilling average of the last 10 or so C+ (Rasmussen) or better polls, then leads are holding.

Re: polling errors and their diagnosis. I think that if there are significant errors there’s a very good chance we’ll know what’s behind them within a few days. We knew 80% of the story last time by the end of the week.

The likely voter models overestimated Black turnout and underestimated both white non-degreed and Hispanic turnout. We can look at turnout and margins at the county level vs county demographics by race, ethnicity, age, and education and pick that up quickly. It’s not something you’d chuck into an academic paper by Friday for review, but it’s likely to be 80% of the eventual story. The only real time issue is scraping/entering county totals.

Nate Cohn seems to have surpassed Nate Silver in terms of understanding the statistical nuance at the local level. He also relies upon geospatial regression techniques rather than standard regression, which is extremely helpful when we’re talking about white working class Rust Belt v Sun Belt, etc. His tweets and Upshot will be a go to source for this thread.

crazypete13 repped this.
  10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And of course he won DC, which has been his home for the past four years.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And to think, I almost subtitled this thread "Revenge of the 'bedwetters'?"

soccernutter, ChrisSSBB and crazypete13 repped this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this also the exit polling thread?

Why we men should not be allowed to vote.

1323825846365396992 is not a valid tweet id

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CNN

How do you exit pol mail-in voters?

I have a feeling exit polling is going to have a pro-republican bias.

Mike03 and bigredfutbol repped this.
  14. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    White dudes rule!

song219 repped this.
  15. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sad, but true. White dudes have always ruled.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course.

Being that this is Matt Bruenig, it's hard to say whether this is a case of him not understanding that, or ignoring it in order to bolster his anti-Democratic Party, pro-Red/Brown alliance narrative.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think in retrospect this was clearly correct:

The other thing the polling missed was just how turnt white people are for Trump. Came out of the woodwork to vote for this man.

18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They were just "shy."

Auriaprottu repped this.
  19. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently very hard to poll, I guess.

I have a couple of Mexican-American friends who have some very spicy takes on the Mexican-American vote in the Rio Grand Valley, by the way. I am not going to write them down, but I imagine there will be some very interesting features written about these brand new voters in the weeks, months and years to come.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This will probably be a thread for "what internal polling got wrong" as well.

That happened with Clinton in 2016 in PA: the campaign got reports from the field that were going against the rosy poll forecasts, and as a result, campaign workers got more and more anxious as election day approached. And the campaign workers who used to take their coffee breaks at my local coffeehouse got more and more panicked as they were more and more ignored, until it was too late.

ChrisSSBB and bigredfutbol repped this.
  21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume campaigns get lost of warnings like these, all asking for more money.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    If the pre-election polls were crap, we probably shouldn't put a whole lot of weight into the exit polls either.

Seems to me that public opinion polling may simply be unreliable right now. If that's the case, then we shouldn't be relying on it for predictions, and it shouldn't be shaping our understanding of events.

23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Before we get to some solid analysis, there are going to be articles like this that raise some interesting questions, whether they have merit in the long run or not...

For people who think Nate Silver should be homeless and 538 be declaring bankruptcy by the close of business..

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/11/fivethirtyeight-upshot-polls-useless.html?via=taps_top

. . . .At least someone was having fun. Never has this form of journalism’s close relationship to the analytics movement in sports media seemed more obvious, or more irritating. And never has the type of analysis they peddle felt more useless.

“The narrative here fairly dumb overall,” FiveThirtyEight’s Nate Silver tweeted at 10:15 p.m. on election night, defending against accusations of a 2016-style polling miss as it became clear that Joe Biden was not racking up the early wins that Democrats had been hoping for. Silver’s tweet could serve as something of a mission statement for him and the other members of his coterie of data-driven political analysts: Pundits and traditional campaign journalists are in thrall to soft “narratives” about momentum and rely on anecdotes and conversations with voters. On the other hand, they believe, if you bloodlessly process a significant enough quantity of polling data, you can see the truth of what’s happening in the race. However the 2020 presidential election turns out in the end, it’s become clear that the polling analyses are themselves a “narrative,” one that can also obscure as much as it reveals.

. . . .

The polling gurus portray themselves as objective number-crunchers, unswayed by human bias or emotion. But in truth, they are in the reassurance business. Over the past weeks and months, after any troubling piece of news came out about lagging minority turnout or legal challenges to mail-in voting, Democrats could check FiveThirtyEight and see Biden’s odds at 89 out of 100 (or, if they were really feeling glum, check the Economist’s G. Elliott Morris and see them at 19 out of 20) and feel like things were still under control.* But they’re hawking a false sense of certainty—and, presumably, racking up earth-shattering levels of web traffic in the process.​

24. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Or to put it more succinctly: garbage in, garbage out. 538 can crunch all the numbers they want, but if the numbers are inaccurate to begin with, what's the point?

EvanJ, soccernutter, dapip and 3 others repped this.
  25. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All for dunking on these guys today b/c I don't like the way they present their findings but at the same time, they absolutely nailed the midterms.

It just seems like the turnout of low-propensity voters broke the models.

EvanJ, soccernutter and ChrisSSBB repped this.