The 2020 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by POdinCowtown, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    cc: DC United (failed and now it looks like wont have any local broadcast), Chicago, LAFC, FCC (am I forgetting anyone?)

While it's true the potential audience becomes nationwide (unless they geofence) the actual audience is infinitesimal. I don't personally know any DC United fan who subscribed to Flo Sports. Every casual I ran across didn't have it and usually didn't know when games were on.

Even if they decide all matches will be available nationwide on a platform with penetration (ESPN+), only a handful will actually take advantage of watching out of market games live. With 14+ games a weekend now unless someone is doing PiP it's neigh impossible to watch every single MLS game.

Thx,

Jay!

DCYC repped this.
  2. DCYC

DCYC Member

Chivas, DC United, Reno 1868
    Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    #52 DCYC, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    As an advertiser, isn´t that what you want though? an engaged audience. Unless you want to be president, a dollar spent in 10 posible customers is better than a dollar spent in 100 randoms with high rate of bots/fake accounts.

I agree with you that it may not be the best move business wise. But if for once we remove our owners cap and put our fans cap, I would gladly pay for an MLSFLIX instead of having to figure out each week where to watch the games.

3. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I agree the streaming thing is a concern. The Rapids are on Altitude sports with the Denver Nuggets and Hockey Avalanche. It is good because you get spill over audience, and most bars carry that local sports channel. . Now, however, Altitude is in a carriage dispute with COMCAST, so I'm not sure how I'm going to watch the Rapids games I don't go to.

I do love ESPN+, and I do wonder if the end of cable/satellite is coming with this Disney streaming package among other things. But I still think we are a couple of years from a sports bar carrying ESPN+ so you can watch an MLS game or Seria A or something, so it seems the teams and the league still need regular cable coverage to grow an audience. And I agree, you don't just land on ESPN+ while channel surfing.

barroldinho and eddygee repped this.
  4. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I would bet that most good sports bars have ESPN+ because of UFC, but they won't be putting an MLS game on it.

5. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I don't know that the bolded won't ever happen with streaming services. I've watched the odd Thursday-night NFL game on Amazon Prime because I was thumbing through the app looking for something to watch. I guess it would depend on what the service is and how the service presented the streams. If it's a well-known player like Amazon or ESPN+, it's possible they could pick up casual viewers.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  6. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well as fans of MLS/Soccer that's when you come in and request it. We often say this as fans but the only way this changes is to be adamant about them changing the channel. I have never encountered a sports bar or BDUBS that hasn't seen the channel to a MLS game when asked.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  7. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I guess so, I didn't know ESPN+ had UFC, I don't follow it at all. I guess it depends on the bar.

8. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    So looks like the only game on FS1 will be the return leg of the Atlanta match :-/

9. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Any news about Nashvile local rights?

10. MisterB1968

MisterB1968 Member

Feb 27, 2008
    New Castle, DE
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which other teams don't have their local rights deal completed yet? I know the Union do not, and Goff is saying that DCU's are basically sold now.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically the Rapids haven't announced anything, but there's no reason to think they won't be on KSE's Altitude like they have every year save one since KSE bought the team.

12. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    With over half the front range no longer having access to Altitude tv due to the Comcast lawsuit and dish network dispute it would be in their best interest to find a carrier.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but I don't think the Rapids get a choice. What's in the best interest of the Rapids doesn't match what's in the best interests of Altitude, and I think Altitude trumps the Rapids at KSE.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altitude has published their schedule through the opening weekend and the Rapids-DC game is listed for opening day. So despite no announcement or any TV listing on the team's or league's website it appears, as we all were certain of, the Rapids will e on Altitude this season.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I wonder why the CCL is relegated to TUDN only even when Liga MX teams are playing...

AlbertCamus repped this.
  16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about the money, but it is good coverage at least in the Midwest.

All non-national televised games.

Centennial and NeilB repped this.
  17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    So I'm guessing this is the WGN that is available in Chicago but not the WGN that is available outside of Chicago on cable/satellite systems. I wonder how widespread that the Fire games will be available.

18. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Frustrating TV season so far. Rapids on Altitude which is in a dispute with COMCAST and DISH, so no Rapids (live at least). I knew I didn't get FS2, but it turns out I also don't get Spanish speaking TDUN so no champions league in either Spanish or English - at least live. I cold add TDUN for $10/month, might do that. Just need to clarify it is not a 12 month commitment.

19. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Wow, that will be in a lot of homes.

20. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Signed up for ESPN + this year for the first time ever. Right now I'm using it to catch up with Serie A and I'm also enjoying the 3rd season of Major League Rugby which just got underway. Watching the Rugby World Cup was how i found out we even had a domestic rugby league! Anyway, I look forward to watching the MLS out of region games this year as well as Lamar Hunt US Open Cup.

Stupid_American repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen the future, and it has a bandwidth dependent delay.

"Amazon has overtaken Netflix to become the fastest-growing video-on-demand service in the UK, as tactics including live-streaming Premier League matches helped it record its best year for adding new subscribers since it launched six years ago.

Amazon Prime Video subscriber numbers jumped by 35% year-on-year in the fourth quarter, to 7.14m homes, coinciding with its debut broadcast of 20 Premier League matches."

AlbertCamus repped this.
  22. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have we seen a comprehensive list of 2020 MLS national TV broadcasts anywhere yet? If so, I've missed it.

23. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    **MODS PIN PLEASE**
    https://www.foxsports.com/presspass/latest-news/2019/12/19/fox-sports-mls-2020-schedule

FOX Broadcast Schedule

MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER 2020

DATE TIME (ET) MATCH / STUDIO SHOW VENUE NETWORK
    Sat 2/29 8:00 PM MLS PREGAME FOX

Sat 2/29 8:30 PM Nashville SC vs Atlanta United FC Nissan Stadium, Nashville, TN FOX

Sun 3/1 7:30 PM Portland Timbers vs Minnesota United FC Providence Park, Portland, OR FS1

Sun 3/8 10:30 PM Los Angeles FC vs Philadelphia Union Banc of California Stadium, Los Angeles, CA FS1

Sat 3/14 2:30 PM MLS PREGAME FOX

Sat 3/14 3:00 PM Inter Miami CF vs LA Galaxy Inter Miami CF Stadium, Fort Lauderdale, FL FOX

Sun 3/15 7:00 PM Minnesota United FC vs New York Red Bulls Allianz Field, St. Paul, MN FS1

Sun 3/22 3:30 PM Philadelphia Union vs D.C. United Talen Energy
    Stadium, Chester, PA FS1

Sun 3/22 9:00 PM Los Angeles FC vs Portland Timbers Banc of California Stadium, Los Angeles, CA FS1

Fri 4/3 9:00 PM Nashville SC vs Seattle Sounders FC Nissan Stadium, Nashville, TN FS1

Sun 4/19 4:00 PM Philadelphia Union vs New York City FC Talen Energy Stadium, Chester, PA FS1

Sun 4/19 6:30 PM Atlanta United FC vs Portland Timbers Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA FS1

Sun 4/26 3:00 PM D.C. United vs New York Red Bulls Audi Field, Washington D.C. FS1

Sun 5/3 6:00 PM Nashville SC vs Inter Miami CF Nissan Stadium, Nashville, TN FS1

Sun 5/17 5:00 PM Portland Timbers vs Seattle Sounders FC Providence Park, Portland, OR FS1

Sun 5/24 6:30 PM Atlanta United FC vs Inter Miami CF Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA FS1

Sun 5/24 9:00 PM Los Angeles FC vs New York City FC Banc of California Stadium, Los Angeles, CA FS1

Sun 5/31 10:00 PM LA Galaxy vs Minnesota United FC Dignity Health Sports Park, Carson, CA FS1

Sun 6/21 5:00 PM New York Red Bulls vs Portland Timbers Red Bull Arena, Harrison, NJ FS1

Sun 6/28 6:30 PM Sporting Kansas City vs Portland Timbers Children’s Mercy Park, Kansas City, KS FS1

Sun 7/5 9:00 PM Seattle Sounders FC vs Minnesota United FC CenturyLink Field, Seattle, WA FS1

Sun 7/12 12:30 PM Atlanta United FC vs Seattle Sounders FC Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA FS1

Sun 7/19 6:00 PM New York Red Bulls vs Los Angeles FC Red Bull Arena, Harrison, NJ FS1

Sun 7/19 8:00 PM FC Cincinnati vs Columbus Crew SC Nippert Stadium, Cincinnati, OH FS1

Sun 8/2 10:00 PM LA Galaxy vs Portland Timbers Dignity Health Sports Park, Carson, CA FS1

Sun 8/9 6:30 PM Chicago Fire FC vs LA Galaxy Soldier Field, Chicago, IL FS1

Sun 8/16 6:30 PM MLS PREGAME FS1

Sun 8/16 7:00 PM Minnesota United FC vs Seattle Sounders FC Allianz Field, St. Paul, MN FS1

Sun 8/16 9:00 PM Portland Timbers vs Inter Miami CF Providence Park, Portland, OR FS1

Sun 8/23 2:00 PM MLS PREGAME FOX

Sun 8/23 2:30 PM Atlanta United FC vs Orlando City SC Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA FOX

Sun 8/23 4:30 PM MLS PREGAME FOX

Sun 8/23 5:00 PM LA Galaxy vs Los Angeles FC Dignity Health Sports Park, Carson, CA FOX

Sun 8/30 6:30 PM Atlanta United FC vs New York Red Bulls Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA FS1

Sun 8/30 9:00 PM Portland Timbers vs Los Angeles FC Providence Park, Portland, OR FS1

Sun 9/13 6:30 PM Seattle Sounders FC vs LA Galaxy CenturyLink Field, Seattle, WA FS1

Sun 9/20 7:00 PM Los Angeles FC vs D.C. United Banc of California Stadium, Los Angeles, CA FS1

Sun 10/4 4:00 PM MLS PREGAME FS1

Sun 10/4 4:30 PM TBC TBC FS1
    TBC TBC TBC (Regular Season match during the summer) TBC FS1
    Schedule is subject to change. For full PDF, click here.

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-...ches-during-major-league-soccers-25th-season/

ABC/ESPN Broadcast Schedule

ESPN and ABC’s 2020 MLS Schedule:

Date Time (ET) Match Networks
    Sun, Mar 1 3 p.m. Seattle Sounders vs. Chicago Fire ESPN, ESPN Deportes
    5:30 p.m. Los Angeles FC vs. Inter Miami CF ESPN, ESPN Deportes
    Sun, Mar 8 7 p.m. Portland Timbers vs. Nashville SC ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sun, Apr 5 3 p.m. Inter Miami CF vs. Philadelphia Union ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sat, Apr 11 5 p.m. San Jose Earthquakes vs. DC United ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sun, Apr 26 1 p.m. Orlando City SC vs. Atlanta United ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sat, May 2 3:30 p.m. Portland Timbers vs. LA Galaxy
    ABC, ESPN Deportes

Sat, May 9 3 p.m. Chicago Fire FC vs. Inter Miami CF
    ABC, ESPN Deportes

Sun, May 10 4 p.m. LA Galaxy vs. New York Red Bulls ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sat, May 16 3 p.m. Los Angeles FC vs. LA Galaxy
    ABC, ESPN Deportes

Sat, Jun 13 5 p.m. Portland Timbers vs. Sporting Kansas City ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sat, Jun 20 5:30 p.m. Atlanta United vs. Philadelphia Union ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sun, Jun 21 3 p.m. LA Galaxy vs. Seattle Sounders
    ABC, ESPN Deportes

Sat, Jun 27 5 p.m. Seattle Sounders vs. New York City FC ESPN, ESPN
    Deportes

Sat, July 4 5 p.m. Atlanta United vs. DC United ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Fri, Jul 10 8 p.m. Orlando City SC vs. Inter Miami CF ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sun, Jul 12 6 p.m. Minnesota United vs. Los Angeles FC ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sat, Jul 18 4 p.m. LA Galaxy vs. Atlanta United ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Thu, Jul 23 8 p.m. Inter Miami CF vs. Atlanta United ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sat, Jul 25 3 p.m. Seattle Sounders vs. Los Angeles FC
    ABC, ESPN Deportes

Sat, Aug 1 3 p.m. Atlanta United vs. New York City FC
    ABC, ESPN Deportes

Sun, Aug 2 3:30 p.m. Los Angeles FC vs. Seattle Sounders
    ABC, ESPN Deportes

Sat, Aug 8 3:30 p.m. Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City
    ABC, ESPN Deportes

Sun, Aug 9 3 p.m. Minnesota United vs. Atlanta United
    ABC, ESPN Deportes

Sun, Aug 16 3 p.m. Atlanta United vs. Los Angeles FC
    ABC, ESPN Deportes

Sat, Aug 22 4 p.m. Seattle Sounders vs. Portland Timbers ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sun, Aug 23 7 p.m. New York Red Bulls vs. New York City FC ESPN2, ESPN Deportes

Fri, Aug 28 8 p.m. Inter Miami CF vs. Seattle Sounders ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sun, Aug 30 4 p.m. New York City FC vs. LA Galaxy ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sun, Sep 13 1 p.m. DC United vs. Chicago Fire ESPN, ESPN Deportes

Sun, Sep 27 TBD Philadelphia Union vs. New York Red Bulls ESPN, ESPN Deportes

* Schedule Subject to Change

* All matches will stream live on the ESPN App

24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thread is already pinned and there's no such thing as pinning a post within a thread. The best we could do is append your post to the first post in the thread, but that would make it seem like POd made the post and can be confusing.

JasonMa and eddygee repped this.
  25. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could you I don't care if you do that I just want the info out. Maybe add courstesy of eddygee, but if thats not possible it doesn't matter just want the info out.

Maybe I can add it again on each page so its seen.

Dirt McGirt repped this.