The 2020 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by POdinCowtown, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Nothing outside America counts to most sports pundits.

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because nothing outside the US counts for most US sports viewers...

3. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Sad but true. Not sure why Americans love to limit their sports world.

4. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because, compared to most countries, we have more than enough local sports on the TV to keep us entertained and thanks to our location geographically, sports in other countries are at odd hours.

5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Well aren't you patriotic today... Guess it is patriot day after all.

6. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I don't feel like I'm missing anything. There will be a new season some day that will be more normal.
    It's nice outside!

7. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patriotism hasn’t nothing to do with it. Depending on where you live and how you count them, most Americans have access to between 4 and 6 “leagues” that are roughly as popular as the single popular “league” in other countries. In the case of 4 of those leagues, they have games happen almost every single night during their season. Not only that, but the games happen at an time of day that is convenient to them.

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's remember that for about decades America and Canada only had 4 or 5 TV channels and foreign sports were not available, allowing domestic sports to grow in a vacuum. The only "foreign" events on TV I seem to remember were the Olympics, Wimbledon and the Open Championship.

Also following the sports TV revolution of the late 1960s American sports were profitable (except maybe baseball) and extremely well marketed.

Sports marketing barely existed in Europe until the late 90s and live games on TV was not a thing. I think NFL being shown live on British TV in the 1980s had showed people like Rick Parry and company what was possible.

Yoshou repped this.
  9. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    You could say the same about foreigners who don’t embrace American football, MLS, etc.

10. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004

11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004

13. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1.53m for two over the air live network broadcasts plus streaming? Not bad, but depending on the breakdown maybe not all that exciting.

14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Much more relevant than the math we do for MLS Cup, since both networks are NBC owned.

15. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I've had some interest, but less than I expected considering lock down (Although I enjoyed the women's tennis final this weekend outside on the computer, with lunch and a beer; and, of course, the Rapids). Lack of crowds and stadium atmosphere make a big difference to me. MLS is Back was different and great, but now I'm ready for crowd noise and crowd shots. Also, lack of work place banter and bar banter make a difference. I'm not at a bar, after playing ball or whatever, and there's a game on; and someone cares, and the then you learn some plots, etc... And I'm fortunate, I still have a job, but I'm working at home. Slack chat does not replace walking past someone's desk and giving them sh*t about their team.

16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    You work with people who give a shit about MLS? WTF.

17. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do as well.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Seattle is different lol. Here in L.A. I still get asked what I do for the team if I wear Galaxy gear. Meanwhile I've somehow worked with multiple Sounders season ticket holders even in L.A.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  19. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Phoenix now. Tons of Rising fans and MLS fans from all over. Lots of freaking Timbers fans for some reason including my insurance broker.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that at MLS Cup '05 in Dallas the 3 Rapids fans that were there (including me) drove down the tollway a bit and found some place to grab dinner after the game. Waiting in the restaurant lobby (Italian chain maybe?) the hostess asked us who the Rapids were, since we were wearing Rapids jerseys, and then when we explained asked if we played for them. Three 30-somethings that maybe didn't look out of shape (then) but we didn't exactly look fit either.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  21. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I hate about this site is that it constantly reminds me how old I am.

22. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you wear LAFC gear you don't get those questions (in the city). It seems that LAFC has broader acceptance as everyday wear.

23. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yeah, its true. LAFC gear is everywhere.

24. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They knocked it out of the park with logo. I want one of their hats and I never wear another team's colors. My son plays for RSL and I wont wear any of the parents gear. Lol I wear Sounders stuff to his games sometimes.

25. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    youtube

Watching the Timbers army turned me on to MLS.

The Marquis and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  26. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man... I scrolled back up to see what thread I was in, because for several pages now there has been almost zero actual MLS TV discussion short of 2 individual local TV contracts and numbers in Canada. We bored?