The 2020 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by POdinCowtown, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    Seems like an opportunity for a long-term thinking, cash-drunk behemoth to purchase the total global rights to a growing, ambitious soccer league with appealing fan demographics.

Seems clear that that's Don Garber's pitch right now anyway. They want to sell the whole enchilada to a streamer for paradigm-shifting money.

2. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean like how ESPN+ (a Disney subsidiary) currently owns the rights to all non-national broadcast games? Or are you saying MLS is looking for ESPN to take on all national broadcasts as well? What happens with local broadcasts, then? Do they ditch those in favor of streaming services only?

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  3. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    My understanding is there are currently no media rights deals of any kind after the 2022 season, per the request of the league office.

What that gives the league office the opportunity to do is go to a Netflix or an Amazon and offer them their streaming platform opportunity to be the exclusive place to watch broadcasts of MLS soccer worldwide. Anyone, whether it be a Sounders fan watching their local team in Seattle, or a nutso soccer completist in Ukraine, must subscribe to your platform to access any MLS broadcast.

That's a pretty unique opportunity, one that the NHL, NBA, and MLB can't offer because their local deals are so central to their economics, and that the NFL is too tied into their current model to consider.

And to an Amazon you can say "pay over the odds for this over a long term, and we will take that money to build you a must-see product". It could be a truly comprehensive partnership.

The turd in the punchbowl is that existing MLS viewership, the captive audience you could drive toward the streaming service, is really small. The proof of concept has not been there in TV rating thusfar. But the fact that they're bundling all the rights together means MLS wants to try.

The other thing they could do of course is just sell the whole thing to ESPN, who would like the inventory for ESPN+, and is also in a position to market the product themselves through ESPN/ABC for the bigger national games.

Or they could sell a the local deals collectively to one streaming service, and then divvy up a national package, and sell international rights on top of that like they do currently.

The general insight seems to be that the local rights might well be more valuable as one collective package than each team fighting individually, since the now-national coverage of local deals brings larger fish into play as potential buyers.

We'll see. It's a landscape full of change out there, and everyone seems to be waiting for the first big sports entity to agree to something weird and paradigm-shifting.

Sal Paradise, AlbertCamus and eddygee repped this.
  4. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AlbertCamus repped this.
  5. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the latter is the most likely that will happen, They'll add more National games from increased expansion we may see something like ESPN/ABC, FS1/FOX and NBCSN/NBC each carry 50 games and MLS sell the now local rights package which will then be just a block of games to a streaming service for a chunk of change. I think we'll more than likely just see ESPN+ win the rights to those games and carry 400+ MLS games sort of how they have the UFC deal where they pay $300m yr. split for the TV and streaming rights, but for MLS something like half of that say $150m yr.

The added bonus that going this route of centralizing the local rights is it gives them negotiating advantage. There willl be a streaming company like DAZN or some new one that will appear who will look at MLS package as a win for their company they get alot of inventory for a relatively good deal compared to what they pay for NBA/MLB/NFL/.

6. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

FYP :p

I would love to see that deal being made, but I understan that me and my ilk is so small group that doesn't make any sense to make any decision based on my preferences.

NeilB repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're still going to have to sell owners like KSE and the Yankees, who are using the local broadcasts to fill their own networks, on losing that inventory.

8. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    As I said before, going all in on streaming is an absolute nightmare, because they're all awful. For example, fsgo loves to show the score of the game you're about to watch on demand right above the link to watch it. Also if you're just time shifting, it'll often "go live" when the event ends, no matter where your stream is. ESPN doesn't even let you time shift - you have to wait for the event to be over to watch on demand. In the playoffs where overtime is possible this can be a spoiler. Also the length of the event is always shown, another possible spoiler. And obviously you need a streaming box on every single TV you own. It's just total garbage compared to the DVR experience.

barroldinho repped this.
  9. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    And the Galaxy, who are overpaid by spectrum. Spectrum uses exclusive rights to sports teams to sell ultra expensive cable bundles.

JasonMa repped this.
  10. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #36 eddygee, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020

From the Data we have from Tunity Analytics since they responded to a request to track MLS data, OOH Audience made up at times more than 50% of MLS viewing Playoff Audience. I'd say pair that down a notch by 15-20% to 30-35% for the regular season and that is still significant number here are some Out of Home numbers for this past MLS Playoffs combined with TV audience.

RfrancisR and AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  11. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    You’re telling me 210K people watched ATL/Philly in bars and hotels? 2/3 the number of people who actually tuned in at home? Man, that’s a stretch.

Is it believable that a potential audience of 210K could have been achieved nationwide counting the number of screens at sports bars (accidently) tuned in to ESPN2, maybe. But in actuality, highly doubtful.

It’s also hard to believe the ESPN2 OOH beat ESPN OOH.

As an MLS fan I’ll take those numbers. But I won’t believe them.

Can you get OOH for some NHL hockey or NFL football for comparison?

Thx,

Jay!

12. SocFanda

SocFanda New Member

Seattle
    United States
    Mar 19, 2019
    found this

JayRockers! repped this.
  13. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #39 eddygee, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    No that's exactly the info no stretch you have to consider the circumstaces of the game and who was playing as well. Hey it's legit data from Tunity Analytics. There is a hidden MLS crowd it's fairly significant relative in terms of percentage vs the TV viewing audience. These numbers will be a boon to MLS in the fall and moving forward in terms of the 2022 TV deal, as MLS will have favorable OOH numbers along with favorable demo numbers to tout. Many for years have said the audience was there but figured it was there via streaming. Here is some numbers straight from Tunity Analytics for MLS and NHL. NFL OOH numbers are around 6-million consistently the Super Bowl did 23mil OOH.

MLS

NHL

14. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NHL

SocFanda repped this.
  15. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN+ increases in subscriptions fueled by Disney+.
    1224802184933576706 is not a valid tweet id

AlbertCamus and eddygee repped this.
  16. DCYC

DCYC Member

Chivas, DC United, Reno 1868
    Mar 24, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You can count me on those!

All while my cable suscription is on life support, probably won't be there once NBA season is over.

eddygee repped this.
  17. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Personally, I watched the Galaxy's postseason games at the viewing parties held at our stadium. That's a lot of people who wouldn't count towards ratings.

18. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    So, does anyone know whether the CCL will be on TV at all?

20. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
  21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
  22. AeroNaught

AeroNaught Member+

Atlanta United
    Feb 14, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your best bet this round is probably LAFC v Leon, but I wouldn't count on anything else being on FS1 until we get some MLS/Liga MX matchups. (feel free to prove me wrong Fox)

23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FS1 slots will be scarce until college basketball season is over.

24. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to an all streaming platform for local broadcasts still sounds like a horrible idea to me. The entire point is to increase revenue, and you do that by increasing the number of eyes watching your product. Having the games on local sports channels give you the opportunity for a non-fan to come across a game, either from channel surfing, looking for a sports game to watch, or whatever. Sure, the numbers state most aren't, but you still have the chance of creating a new fan. The moment you move to Amazon or ESPN+ or any of the other streaming services, you've effectively maxed out the amount of viewers for your games. The only people who will go to those services to watch the games are the dedicated fan base. It might mean a revenue increase short-term, but it'll be a loss long-term.

AlbertCamus repped this.