The 2020 Election Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think using 2017 to 2019 is a good period to look at regarding legislation being passed. The problem with looking at that period is that Individual One never had, and still does not, any clear legislative direction, and he certainly does not know how cajole others to help get any legislation passed. There are many reasons we have discussed this, but the bottom line is that he wanted simple and clear results, like getting his people onto SCOTUS.

What I think we need to look at is Congress and Bush from 2003 to 2007 (108th and 109th Congress).
    The 108th Congress managed to pass:
    • The tax bill which we love even today (yes, that is sarcasm).
    • A partial birth abortion ban
    • The ability to get a free credit report ever 12 months (you think today's GOP would even think that, let alone draw up that legislation?)
    • A bill which requires ID for traveling and border protection measures

The 109th Congress passed:
    • A reworking of bankruptcy laws for consumers
    • The copyright law (extending copyrights - Disney loved this law)
    • An energy policy act which was very wide spread (including tax credits for wind farms :D)
    • A prevention of temporary lowered taxes from expiring (IOW - making those taxes permanent)
    • An act to create a sex offender registry and tier system
    • A comprehensive tax bill dealing with higher ed and tuition expenses to HSAs.
    That is the shit which gets done with the GOP White House is clear about their legislative agenda and willing to do the work, and works with Congress. The current GOP White House is not clear about their legislative agenda and has not desire to do the work to pass any of the legislation it may want.

Take a look at the 111th Congress (Obama's first term) and there is a shit load of legislation passed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/111th_United_States_Congress#Major_legislation

And take a look at 103rd Congress (Clinton's first term)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/103rd_United_States_Congress#Major_legislation
    That has some really serious stuff passed:
    • Don't ask, don't tell
    • NAFTA
    • The Brady Bill
    • FMLA
    • National Voter Registration Act of 1993
    • Violence Against Women Act.
    There is no way the current White House could do what happened during the 103rd, 108th, 109th, or 111th Congress. Hell, they had a difficult time passing the tax act which allowed corporations to bring in offshore monies at a lower tax rate.

So what I'm seeing, if the Dems win the Senate, along with Biden's policy, we are going to see some important and major legislation passed fairly quickly, and we are going to see some important and major legislation passed in the second year as well. Along with the likely hearings.

Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yup. Once they find out he wasn't a native speaker of English... it would be over.

Deadtigers repped this.
  3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    What got passed except the tax bill? I will give you executive orders and the courts, but I don't recall the 2017-18 Congress getting jackshit done.

The Jitty Slitter and soccernutter repped this.
  4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Would be careful with Marist polling...they don't weight by education, and even in 2018 tilted Dem.

There was a big nerd blowup over this during the weekend involving Nate Cohn, Wasserman, and the Marist lead

5. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see that because the counter-argument would be, say, FDR's first term, or Abe Lincoln's for that matter.

But the contemporary GOP Can. Not. Govern. AT ALL. They're nihilistic saboteurs, not public servants. Of course they didn't accomplish anything. They're prisoners of their own rhetoric, ideology, and--post-Trump--the worst elements of their base.

The progressive Left won't be happy with what gets done, and there's gonna be a LOT of damage control on Biden's plate, so certainly there will be disappointment and so forth. But I expect some serious legislation.

JohnR repped this.