The 2020 Election Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alaska. FFS.....

A new Public Policy Polling survey in Alaska finds Donald Trump leading Joe Biden in the presidential race, 48% to 45%.

2. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Yup. People who don't own EVs don't understand what the important issues are to EV ownership. From the outside, it looks like Tesla is just a vanity brand but it does some important things better than any other brand, e.g. range, infrastructure, rapid charging, technology and goddammit at least I wouldn't have to deal with a f%cking dealer.

I own a BMW I3 and it's a fantastic car but without a long range network and limited range, it's relegated to in-town use, which is fine and mostly works for us but it's not as versatile as others would like.

Deadtigers, soccernutter and chad repped this.
  3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A better fiction writer would see this as a realignment within the two-party system.

Without structural changes to ballot access and how elections are decided, a lasting multi-party system in the USA is a pipedream, mostly because no one likes seeing someone win an election with 40% of the vote, which has led to the whole "wasted vote" trope.

4. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    We are Americans. We don't like all kinds of things but we don't do anything about any of them.

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We don't fix them, but this is the reason why some folks get on third-party voters -- because they increase the chance that the other major party that they don't like will win an election with a minority of the vote. (For a recent example: Look at how many states either Trump or Hillary won with <50% of the vote in that state.)

6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good numbers for Joe..... even better ones for Cal.

A new Public Policy Polling survey in North Carolina finds Joe Biden leading Donald Trump in the presidential race, 50% to 46%.

In the U.S. Senate race, Cal Cunningham (D) leads Sen. Thom Tillis (R), 47% to 39%.

7. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    What the ******** kind of word is that? ******** you Jitty!

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That may be their target, buy I wonder who is giving them views.

If it is a bunch of liberals watching them for enjoyment, then the ad is wasted.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  9. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I wish I was on earlier today to request a live-post of the operation.

10. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Eventually the Republicans will blame Trump on Hillary and Bill.

https://imgur.com/MQF0cj1

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In America TESLA is kicking ass, In China other brands sell more but TESLA has the most sold model.

In Europe is where the competition will heat up, small range cars are more popular there. The new Zoe is doing well.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is more than that

The Chevy bolt has a 260 miles range same as the regular range model 3, but the Bolt is ugly.

Price per mile, the Kona EV is the best value that I have seem.

13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Positive move here....

soccernutter repped this.
  14. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Europe’s emission laws are ramping up quite a bit starting this year, which should ramp up EV sales quite a bit. Europe also likes small cars and drive significantly less distance than us Americans. They also have better Non-Tesla recharger coverage than the US. So the “range anxiety” ASF mentioned isn’t as big an issue in Europe as it is in the US.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  15. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    In the US, it's also infrastructure. Believe me, in a lot of states, it's a pain in the ass to find a place to recharge when traveling. Yeah, and the Bolt looks and feels underwhelming.

16. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a person who knows nothing of electric vehicles, what is the average charging time from "empty" to "full"?

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a long time.

You do not fast charge to full because it degrades the batteries.

You charge to 80%, that can take 20 minutes to 45+ minutes depending on the car.

TESLA is the fastest right now. According to the article below the Bolt can take 69 minutes, that is a lot for long range trips.

https://insideevs.com/news/421995/2020-chevy-bolt-dc-fast-charge-video/

Obviously if it is your regular work to store to home car, then charging EVs is no problem (if you have a garage).

Technically speaking, you should not fast charge your car too much, trickle charging a battery (slowly) will prolong it's life a lot.

Now if you try to test something like this and it disagrees with TESLA documents, Munsk will sue your ass off if you publish it, so what ever dear leader Munsk says his cars can do, you better take it as gospel.

According to this, it took 40 minutes for the TESLA Model 3

https://insideevs.com/news/339387/watch-time-lapse-of-tesla-model-3-supercharging-from-0-100/

onefineesq repped this.
  18. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends. :) It’s all about kIlowatts and battery size. Your standard house plug can only really do single digit miles per hour so empty to full can take over a day to charge, a standard charger with a 250v plug will take about 8 hours to charge, and a rapid charger can do it in an hour or two.

onefineesq repped this.
  19. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    zoom.jpg

To be honest, I've only gotten that fast at a supercharger once. The picture is a little deceiving, too, since I didn't need to charge all of the way. We were probably there for 15 minutes all told.

In day to day life, if you can charge at home on a 240 outlet, then it's a nonissue entirely. And I pay 1/3 for electricity what I paid for "premium" gas that my old cars required. Many places let you opt in to energy plans that are greener in origin for not much cost. If I ever pull off a move to Southern California, I'm going to charge via solar. Woo!

On road trips, it takes longer than you want it to - especially if the weather sucks. But for us by the time everyone goes to the bathroom and/or gets snacks and/or we go to a restaurant, it's not actually a big deal. There's an art to charging and you get better at it. (Some older superchargers are in crappy locations, though. Grand Island, NE, I'm looking at you.)

20. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I’d like to get an EV, but the bottom line for now is that if I want to reduce my carbon footprint, I’m better off with a slightly smaller/lower performing vehicle with a traditional internal combustion engine vehicle than I am with a Tesla. There aren’t appreciable gains on electric vs gasoline considering the source of that electric here. Not enough to offset additional carbon footprint for manufacturing and disposal of the EV.

I’m better off saving 40k on the price of a Tesla vs my alternatives and using that cash on a residential solar system.

soccernutter, rslfanboy and ceezmad repped this.
  21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a Trump spokesman on FOX today basically called Biden a pedophile.

In response to Carville ripping Trump about being a "doofus dolt" and a "slob" that Biden had no worries about when it came to debating, this is what the dude said:

“When you’re on the debate stage, you can’t reach out like Joe Biden has done so many times and say, ‘Please, please — bring me my documents, I need to read off the fact sheet my staff has given me,'” Gidley said. “You’re gonna hear interesting comments from Joe Biden about how children love his leg hair, and how he used to coax children up in the porch with ice cream during quarantines, and how he doesn’t know the dates of 9-11…”

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/fo...s-attempt-to-paint-biden-as-a-child-molester/

Republicans would have to climb UP two or three levels to reach the sewer at this point.

soccernutter, sitruc and xtomx repped this.
  22. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Roughly for me:
    1) At home in a 120v regular outlet. You can add around 5 miles per hour. Slow but ok if you are just using the car for commuting or around town and charging overnight in your garage. Most of the time you don't go empty to full but rather top off.

2) At home or public(often free) 240v outlet. It's around 20-25 miles per hour.

3) Rapid charging on public network. 20 to 30 minutes to 80-90% then it slows down until it's full.

It's this last level where Tesla is good because they can charge faster than that and have a country wide network of Superchargers.

diablodelsol and onefineesq repped this.
  23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, buying a car with a massive battery does not help the environment too much if you only use it around town.

Now TESLA did understand that the American driver loves to drive, when we go on trips, we drive there.

The old thinking was that you only need a few miles of range since 95% of your driving on average is less than 40 miles.

That may work in cities and countries with nice long travel trains, but not in suburbia USA.

Better to have those 75-100 KWH cars at your disposal for that yearly thanks giving trip, that you take every year, even if you only need about 10-20 KWH on a daily basis.

https://www.plugincars.com/how-much-electric-car-driving-range-enough-132649.html

24. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love road trips. I might take one to Canada sometime between November and January, if certain things happen...

Deadtigers, Dr. Wankler and Chicago76 repped this.
  25. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I may too, but I’ll probably need to ditch my car in northern Minnesota somewhere before I start my “hike”.

Deadtigers, song219, Dr. Wankler and 2 others repped this.