The 2020 Election Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Trump's lack of strategy makes sense if you pivot to the idea that his goal is only to maintain his power over his base

That's why he ignores obvious plays like universal masks, testing and helicopter money.

You can't apply rational strategy to psychopaths because they don't think that way

Matrim55 repped this.
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw that. Good stuff.
    Agreed. They are blatantly anti-Individual One, not pro-Biden. I don't think that will confuse people, and many who don't even know the organization will look at the LP as a Biden attack-PAC. But it will not influence Biden's policies, not in the least.

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If that amazes you about Silicon Valley, you’d be flabbergasted at what’s happening in DC.

4. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So Barr is feeling low energy Fash on Stone. Other sources claim advisors don't want Trump to pardon him due to the bad optics.

Reality setting in?

5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    it’s not a cult of personality. It’s the fact that Tesla makes the only electric cars with a range of over 300 miles. If other car companies manage to make an electric car with similar range at a more reasonable price, Tesla will have to find another way to differentiate their product and will also need to improve their service to remain viable. Give me an all electric Honda Clarity with a 350 miles range, and what reason would I have to even look at a Tesla? That’s the question Musk has to answer in the long term, if he wants his business to become a profitable member of the auto-makers oligopoly.

Deadtigers and xtomx repped this.
  6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I trust the Lincoln Project people more than I do most Americans, because the Lincoln Projecters have proven that they are for the rule of law. That virtue I do not take for granted. We have seen that almost every remaining Republican will abandon democracy for victory, and quite a few independents and Democrats would do so too.

So yeah, I respect these people. They proved what they say.

Deadtigers, dapip, rslfanboy and 5 others repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Exactly.

Given how crap everything is, I think most of us would settle for going back to the days when sometimes conservatives were in power, and sometimes the left, and where they agreed on key stuff, consensus could still be reached.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm. We have quite a few confirmed progressives here. They probably would not be aboard with that. But I certainly would be.

9. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People keep saying this about the other automakers. But without Tesla’s charging infrastructure, it’s a non-starter. And Electrify America charging, which is finally being built out, is expensive and hopeful.

I don’t disagree about Tesla build quality. Tesla bought back my first car when it was nearly 3 years old (at original cost, mind you). I tried other EVs - I wanted to avoid getting another Tesla. I don’t like Elon and the company struggles with service. But the fact is the other EVs suck in comparison. The Audi was a joke. Crappy range. Over wrought UI. Limited space inside. There’s no reason to believe they’ll solve it anytime soon.

I’ve driven from California to Chicago in a Tesla with my family of 5 with zero fuel cost. There is no competition for that. Model 3s are everywhere now. Unless Elon so sullies the brand, I think Tesla is doing well given the head start the other manufacturers had on making cars. Could they do better? Yes. The obsession with immediate profit is only a big deal because that’s all the investment class cares about.

But we can talk about your views on what EV owners want in a different thread.

russ, dapip, InTheSun and 2 others repped this.
  10. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I just donated to Joe....

Can’t leave anything to chance here.

While I’m optimistic with some of the highlighted polls this week, we cannot allow ourselves to get complacent.

This is not the time to get comfortable. Running up the scoreboard is the only way to ensure that any complaints by the loser fall on deaf ears.

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I was actually amazed how much ebikes have taken off in NZ

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    As Tesla is worth more than Ford, GM, Honda, and Daimler combined, that would seem not to be so.

superdave and chad repped this.
  13. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point! Investment class cares about returns.

It's the commentariat class, then?

14. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This could be wishful thinking on your guys' part. Whichever party is in control, there seems to be a willingness to adopt legislation and approve or restrict programs at break-neck speed. Think about the environmental issues and rules that were adopted years ago but not ready for implementation until 2023 or beyond. Those rules and standards have been scuttled by this current administration. If there is a vast sea-change after November of this year, do you think Democrats are going to let the new Republican-devised standards alone? I sure don't. I would think they'd be intent on 'making up for lost time' as it pertains to The Paris Climate Accord and re-admission to the World Health Organization, among other things.

Deadtigers repped this.
  15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well that's fine. As long as the processes are legal and executive power isn't further extended.

xtomx repped this.
  16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well that is what I mean though

In the "former times" one expected some back and forth especially on social programmes and taxes but actually other stuff like environmental concerns tended to progress over the decades - think how far regulation came since the 50s before the current spate of vandalism.

Interestingly NZ has a new populist conservative leader, and he has now adopted climate change as central as well - so suddenly there is consensus again, at least on the issue if not the solutions.

The last ten years of the GOP, or for example Brexit represent a huge departure from consensus politics.

Maybot, despite having a tiny majority, didn't even bother to attempt to find a consensus of votes for her Brexit deal. That isn't normal.

Deadtigers repped this.
  17. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm surprised that your posts are so cogent while you're under anesthesia.

rslfanboy, xtomx and SetPeace repped this.
  18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Wait one hour.

dapip and xtomx repped this.
  19. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck JohnR! I had a couple of stents put in me two and half years ago. I even smoked for 15 months after the procedure! Today, I feel as healthy as ever, even though my finances stink (still paying for the February, 2018 procedure) :(

20. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Hope Hicks needs to get fresh nappies to the Oval office stat!

charlie15 repped this.
  21. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, Jitty. I understand your optimism, but American Conservatives are a breed apart from those in other countries. Conservatives here are more racist, more religious, more anti-education than those in economically prosperous nations. One commentator here several years ago pointed out that in many wealthy countries that had prominent conservative leaders, they might want to scale back some social programs or adopt more restrictive policies toward immigrants and minorities within their borders. But despite their views on such things, none of them advocated dismantling their universal health care systems and make it more difficult for people to obtain the care they needed at a price that wouldn't bankrupt them. No such luck in the United States of Idiots, where the consensus on community only pertains to people who: look like you, think like you, worship like you, etcetera, etcetera...

Yeah, I'm on a downer kick now, but as much as I want to see things get better before they get worse, I feel like it's wishful thinking on my part.

charlie15 repped this.
  22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Oh I agree - the modern GOP is currently selecting its first Q-Anon types as candidates and features utter wingnuts like Gaetz as its rising starts

I meant the Lincoln Project republicans represent old school reaganites you can actually work with. But they are out of the party.

SetPeace repped this.
  23. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I don’t know who this person is, but this tweet rathe succinctly makes the point I was trying to make earlier.

the Republican Party now knows, without any shadow of a doubt, that trump is going to be indicted in the state of NY when he leaves office. The question is....is this enough of a liability to jettison him now, or jettison him post election when his NY state criminal trial begins.

24. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    A fiction writer could see this as the beginning of the end of the 2 party system. The Republican Party falls apart with those inclined that way associating and caucusing with various groups including big-business, small business, Trumpian and libertarian. While it would seem that this would lead to Democratic dominance, without a Republican threat, the Democrats would similarly splinter.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  25. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "Hurricane @JohnR" blowing in soon.
    Take cover, folks.

Again, hope all goes well.