The 2020 Election Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    My pick for Veep. With Biden, you need a VP with executive experience - and with no battle scars. She fits the bill far better than Kamela Harris, whom should be considered for AG.

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Have you reported his posts?

charlie15 repped this.
  3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, the problem here is:

1) Too often people on this forum label anyone that disagrees with them a troll, particularly if that person vehemently disagrees with them.

2) Too often, the people accusing others of trolling are also guilty of trolling, so we moderators are left with a situation where we can go with the gentle approach and nudge people towards moderating their behavior, or we can bring out the hammer and remove a hefty chunk of the participants in the forum. If the participants in this thread want us to come in with the hammer, we can, but don't be surprised if you find that you can't post here either... (and to be clear, the "You" is a generic you and not specifically aimed at Knave.)

4. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Is she a woman of color? Because if Joe slaps black women who got him the nomination by picking a white female veep many of us are walking out in November!

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    My issue with him is the repetition.

Joe Biden Bad. Joe Biden Senile and old.

This isn't actually debate. It's purely inflammatory, which by definition is trolling.

I have no issue with Pro-Trump/Pro-Sanders people, the issue is the content.

Deadtigers, sitruc and charlie15 repped this.
  6. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    So you're suggesting that Black woman only voted for him because he'd pick a black woman for his VP? Isn't that almost offensively reductive?

7. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    As long as I'm included, I'm happy!

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    We all make inflammatory posts from time to time, and some of us even pepper them with an ample amount of snark. But that's not sufficient for trolling. That's just being a wise-ass. Trolling is more about the (usually pointless) ad nauseam repetition of inflammatory posts that degrade and derail all real discussion. That's not being a wise-ass. That's being an asshole.

russ, soccernutter and chaski repped this.
  9. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019

No black women and people In general voted for him because they have an affinity for him because of the Obama years and because Joe has long standing of goodwill in the community. Without black women/people Joe Biden isn't the nominee believe that! Now that he has the nomination he is going to give it to the newest white lady govenor because she is the new shiny thing on the block? Hell no we want a return on our investment just like every other community gets and demand. Stop taking AA for granted democratic party! Either step up or we walk out!

10. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Secretary of Commerce actually isn't a very powerful position. Wilbur Ross isn't exactly tearing it up, and I think most of us would be hard pressed to even name another secretary of commerce.

Warren I think would be great just about anywhere, but wouldn't a republican governor appoint her successor?

11. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    ROFL!

Thank you for spouting the oldest right wing talking point about Detroit! Said by people who have never been to Detroit let alone Michigan.

Ps. In case you were too busy to notice between eating paste, we had 7 years of a GOP governor. Guess what? His policies weren;t that popular.

12. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is an other problem that you may have missed. The constant gaslighting and accusations that can't be backed up. If I accuse you of something outlandish that you may have not written, it is my obligation to back it up and not keep trolling. If ones does that, mods have an obligation to call that person out.

Deadtigers and sitruc repped this.
  13. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Yes, but after the Dems hopefully reclaim the House, and even the Senator would be a republican for 145-160 days when a special re-election would be held.

Also wouldn't put it past Baker to name a Democrat. He's very popular there, and may not wan to risk that by naming someone who's clearly not a popular representative of the state.

charlie15 repped this.
  14. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I kind of like her as well. On top of it, she would deliver Michigan easily. Having said that, Kamala and Abrams may be ahead of her on my list. I would take Whitmer ahead of Amy K though.

15. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Synder was great!

Saginaw, Lansing, Flint all disasters run by your lot. Needed managers to fix your messes.

16. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Mass assembly has solved this problem already. A special election will be called in 90 days to fill the position. Having said that, I don't think she will be interested though.

17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    The 2nd part of your paragraph doesn't have a relation to the first part. As you yourself stated, Joe's popularity among black women never had anything to do with political promises. Naming a black VP has little to do with doing well by the black community.

18. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    To the victor goes the spoils. Reward or lose your choice!

19. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds like Trump talking. You gotta reach out and make me feel pretty, otherwise I'll cut off my nose.

Deadtigers, onefineesq and charlie15 repped this.
  20. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I've said on here that Whitmer campaigned on "fix the damn roads." Which, if you've lived or drove in Michigan, is guaranteed to get you a vote. I had to pay a couple hundred to replace a tire because of a big ass pothole I couldn't dodge a few years ago. Only problem is MI GOP is being difficult and tried to limit Whitmer's power, thankfully Snyder vetoed most of their serious legislation. But even now they're being difficult

Few days ago MI GOP types were complaining about Trump attacking Whitmer. But that's more because Trump won it narrowly, and they're probably screaming internally. Southeast Michigan will most likely go blue, but it's more West Michigan I'm worried about.

Myself? I like her. She's doing what she can with a GOP controlled (But narrow) legislature.

Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  21. rich loc

rich loc Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If you don't think we'd be seeing alot of #WhereIsJoe during a Biden presidency, I don't know what to tell you.

22. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There are some good articles reading the tea leaves of the Bernard defeat

One point emerging is the issue of M4A is not so much whether it is a good idea, or less popular than a public option (and thus bad politics) - but rather whether voters actually believe M4A would be delivered.

In particular black voters appeared to be highly sceptical of Bernard's huge promises - having been let down so many times by big talking politicians historically.

This is not an uncommon occurrence on the left, where voters appear to vote against their economic interests, but a key driver for this behaviour is whether they are convinced the politician will deliver on his/her rhetoric.

So this seems a significant issue if M4A is the core of why you should be elected

It seems voters agreed.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...ft-or-was-the-nomination-always-out-of-reach/

charlie15 and superdave repped this.
  23. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I would pick Warren for Attorney General, if she's interested in a cabinet post.

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please stop acting like an asshole.

xtomx and charlie15 repped this.
  25. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Post Mortem of Bernie's campaign will be extensively covered. From his inability to expand his base, unwillingness to build alliances, to the hubris of his staff and surrogates and the arrogance of the Bros....A lot of books and articles will be written about this.

One particular moment that stayed in my mind was his tweet (below) after winning Nevada. I was truly taken aback by the tone of it. A dude running to become the Democratic nominee is bashing the so called party "establishment".
    That was a such a self inflicted mistake and a major turn off for a lot of voters. Utterly stupid.
    ✔@BernieSandersI've got news for the Republican establishment. I've got news for the Democratic establishment. They can't stop us.

Deadtigers repped this.