The 2020 Election Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a few of those points are easily achievable. The good thing is there is no animosity between the 2 guys. I could easily see Bernie campaign manager or his deputy joining the Biden camp. Both guys are not toxic firebrands like Turner or scumbags like Sirota. They were both long time Harry Reid staffers.

sitruc and xtomx repped this.
  2. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fortunately, the Biden people dislike the Clintons too.

russ, ElJefe and Boandlkramer repped this.
  3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good numbers for Biden. I assume they are pre Bernie exit as well.
    My only surprise is the Latinos numbers. He should be in the 60s at least.

4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Monmouth has Biden leading by 4. Averages, people!

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Latinos would have far more political power if they voted in unison (and had higher turnout). But Latino is a false construction, it seems. It covers various people who either speak Spanish themselves, or have Spanish speakers in their family backgrounds, but who don't feel much of a political affinity.

dapip repped this.
  6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having said that, I fully expect those numbers, latinos included, to improve since Bernie has left the race and the D's will be united behind Joe.

7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Carville here. My real fear is the shenanigans, voter suppressions and other dirty tricks the gop will try from now to November.

8. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1248274716198146048 is not a valid tweet id

1248279135664906240 is not a valid tweet id

American Brummie repped this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trump will get 25-30% of the Latino vote.

Walia Ibex repped this.
  10. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reasonable. Hopefully, Joe will get in the 60's.

11. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What results are you talking about?

If in the next two weeks we start seeing an increase in the number of coronavirus infections in Wisconsin, then we all need to remember who the responsible parties for it are. And the guilt goes all the way up to the US Supreme Court.

sitruc, Dr. Wankler, chad and 1 other person repped this.
  12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And this is why I bristle a little bit when a lot of these Bernie or Busters think that AOC is one of them. No, she's not. Yes, she endorsed Bernie and yes, the two of them have more or less the same policy goals.

But at the end of the day, she's gonna endorse Biden and she's gonna campaign for Biden because she doesn't want to burn the system down. She spent a lot of time and energy to become part of the system to change the system, and she understands that she's got one hell of a lot more influence on President Biden than on President Trump, and that if she sponsors a bill that ends up on Biden's desk, he is almost certainly not going to veto it.

And that's the reason why I wonder what reality these clowns who say "Biden would veto M4A" live in. Don't give me what he said on the campaign trail. Here's the real deal: Any bill of consequence that gets 218 House votes and 60 Senate votes (or 51, if you kneecap the filibuster rules) is a big deal and would require a huge amount of work to get passed. Presidents so rarely yield the veto pen against any bill championed by their own party for this exact reason, and there is no better way to cut loose any allies you've got in Congress than to do that. And Joe Biden, having spent most of political career in Congress, understands that better than anyone.

But there are a lot of people who don't want to think in those terms. They don't want to think in terms of coalition-building or horse-trading or anything else that happens in mature, functional political systems. They would lose their goddamned minds in an actual parliamentary where a party would have to build coalitions with other parties who have different policy goals in order to govern. (The notion of a "grand coalition" between the CDU/CSU and SPD that has occasionally governed Germany in the past? Those folks would freak the ******** out.)

I as a progressive had Joe Biden pretty damn low on my list of preferred candidates. Hell, he was pretty low on my "well, if we gotta have a moderate..." list of candidates. And I KNOW that if gets elected, some of my policy goals aren't getting done. But I also know that the ball is gonna get moved forward on other policy goals. I also know that we're not gonna lose ground on most of my policy goals. And I know that if he gets elected, Ruth Bader Ginsberg and Stephen Breyer can retire in peace and Donald Trump won't nominate some ********boy, Federalist Society-endorsed graduate of the Liberty University law school to replace them.

Deadtigers, onefineesq, sitruc and 9 others repped this.
  13. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    With her current trajectory, Rep. Ocasio-Cortez may be that person. She is making those overtures already.

charlie15 repped this.
  14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sanders is definitely of the left.

His problem has always been that his campaign was always in a bit of denial that a very vocal (though not large) segment of his support has not been. When you are a Democratic candidate for public office in the year 2020 and a vocal segment of your supporters are using dog whistles ("low-information voters"), then you've got a problem.

Deadtigers repped this.
  15. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Katie Rosenberg is running for Mayor of Wausau. Her results are being held up.
    Go, Katie!

There is a Wisconsin Supreme Court position that is up in the air.

16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is too long to work as a tattoo, but well said.

russ, Dr. Wankler, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    In a normal year this will be a whooping...

I’m not worried about blue states, I know what to expect from red states, but the question is what will happen in battleground states, like WI, IA, FL, MI or PA...

charlie15 repped this.
  18. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Its false that most Bernie voters deserted Clinton in 2016, I and over 80% of Bernie voters in 2016 voting for Hillary.
    Lol thinking FL or Iowa is a a "battleground".

Only 3 states matter Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan. With Pennsylvania being the tipping point.

I believe Trump will have to "defend" or reguard spend time and cash in 3 light reddish/purple states Arizona, Georgia and ME-2.

Biden will have to defend 3 light blue heavily white states Minnesota, New Hampshire and Maine.

Trump might be reckless and spend time and money in Nevada, New Mexico, VA or Colorado

Biden might be reckless and waste money In Ohio, North Carolina or Texas.

Might as well pour in volunteers and $ into the upper midwest. I cannot believe those clowns will decide this monumental election. Please let's have a popular vote smh.

19. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this stage I can't see how Trump will win Pa and Mi. He is underwater in both states. In Michigan, Whitmer is riding high now and Trump attacks on her were major mistakes. Wisconsin is going to be key.

20. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The point is that the remaining 20% were MORE than enough to flip the election results.

xtomx and chad repped this.
  21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like it is 400m/yd. I speak from experience running track. The "lanes" are not marked, so...one lane?

It's an asphalt track.

22. rich loc

rich loc Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bernie walking the walk.

Deadtigers, Chris M., superdave and 2 others repped this.
  23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna ask the question that nobody else is asking - why did Sanders drop out Tuesday night? It is not like there would have been pollsters out asking questions in this condition. And there are not any numbers out in terms of results. So why did he suspend on Tuesday and not Monday or today or next week? That has me perplexed.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Well that was ON Hillary Clinton to reach out and do better but she didn't. Maybe instead of doing concerts with Kate Perry, Jay Z and Lebron go visit Wisconsin and Michigan.

But I'm all in on Joe. I actually like him!

25. rich loc

rich loc Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Not delaying the Wisconsin primary put people at risk, that probably did it. He fought against it, Biden didn't.