The 2020 Election Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, May 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Accusations of this type don't work that way. Liberals have to be consistent and if they were Biden would step down.
    He cares inasmuch as he's a politician. And as a politician he has reasonable instincts. And he did say he'd look at it.
    I'll get around to it. Pretty ridiculous divergence from polls leading up to Super Tuesday though you'd have to admit.
    Klobuchar and Buttigieg drop out and with O'Rourke endorse Biden all at the same time and at a crucial stage for the outcome of the race. And you don't think it's coordinated. Use your common sense.

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the f**k do people keep saying this? When have Republicans ever shown this kind of internal inspection. Seriously. You need to look bo further than Florida where the governor is blaming New York for failing to contain the spread there, or from stopping NY residents from fleeing the state, etc, etc. From what I’ve seen of the conservatives in my timeline, this is the fault of the Democratic governors for 1) Purposefully shutting down businesses in their state to destroy the economy, 2) For allowing the infections to spread uncontrolled in their states, 3) For failing to be prepared for the pandemic, etc, etc

Deadtigers and onefineesq repped this.
  3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Good idea. I've been on BigSoccer for more than 20 years. I served as a mod for about a decade. Given my long experience, it utterly baffles me that you haven't been banned for obvious trolling. So, congratulations, you are now going to be the very first poster I've ever put on ignore.

sitruc and charlie15 repped this.
  4. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What he is saying makes sense though. He is not talking about this reckoning right away but it is in the works. Trump will keep his 40% base but you can't win with 40% and the GOP may be decimated as well.

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Yeah, @soccernutter can be more helpful but I heard Wisconsin has a stay at home order but still gonna hold elections because of the Republican Congress. Lots of big state races and some counties have gone down to 1 or 2 voting locations.

6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It was absolutely coordinated. I'm not debating that. You've shifted the goalposts.
    Examine his record. This is a disingenuous point to make on an administration which, as we speak, is pursuing a lawsuit to take millions of people's health insurance. Why is it that you choose to give the benefit of the doubt to Trump every single time?
    Super Tuesday polls couldn't have possibly been asked to keep up with the way the race was rapidly developing at the time. Clearly, Biden's camp was able to reach out to Pete and Amy and get them to stand down, which transformed the race in ways pretty much no polling could've been expected to capture.
    I wish he would step down. That'd be great. But that isn't in the cards at the moment.

7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, in your eagerness to engage with that lunatic, you are falling into his traps as well. Why would Biden step down for as you are wising? That is a completely asinine comment. WTF....

8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think we've had the discussion regarding my concerns about him from a mental standpoint, and this latest accusation, in combination with other highly questionable behaviours, does not paint the strong contrast with Trump from a perspective of treatment of women I would want from the nominee. But this is the candidate chosen, and I accept that, despite my legion of misgivings.

ceezmad and Walia Ibex repped this.
  9. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there is not a strong contrast between Biden who authored the VAWA (violence against the women act) and Trump, dude you may need to start paying attention.
    There is more than contrast, it is simply night and day.
    I know the berners spent weeks trying to question Biden cognitive abilities, I would guess if you were paying attention, those issues should have been put to rest at this point.

sitruc repped this.
  10. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't appreciate the implication that I haven't been paying attention. Have we not been on this forum together on a semi-daily basis discussing precisely these issues?

Walia Ibex repped this.
  11. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/20...nd-candidate-coalescing-around-biden-n1147471

WASHINGTON — As Democrats begin to coalesce around Joe Biden as the moderate alternative to Bernie Sanders, there appears to be a quiet hand behind the rapid movement: former President Barack Obama.

Obama spoke with his former vice president after he handily won the South Carolina primary on Saturday, and with Pete Buttigieg on Sunday when he dropped out of the Democratic race, according to people familiar with the calls.

Buttigieg will travel from South Bend, Indiana to Dallas Monday and endorse Biden, multiple people familiar with the plan tell NBC News

People close to Obama said the former president has been keeping close tabs on the race. They said the signal has been sent in the past 36 hours that he sees Biden as the candidate to back, and they don’t need Obama to say it publicly or privately.

“He's not going to get involved in endorsing anyone for this nomination,” Biden told NBC’s Mike Memoli on Monday. “But I think he will make sure that, you know, the party is united at the end of the day, and as I will, whether I win or not.​

Walia Ibex repped this.
  12. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    1246168940092379136 is not a valid tweet id

Trump @ 5m 50s

13. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes we have and that's why I can't understand your comment about the contrast on women "treatment". This contrast is there to see and it is obvious.

14. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You're just using confirmation bias here to completely disregard polling.
    You're not being rational. You want Biden to step down, you 95% agree with Sanders but you've somehow convinced yourself that the obvious solution is untenable.

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, we have a stay at home, but the election is still going forward on April 7. Not sure why. My guess is so we can get that out of the way and focus on the convention.

Related, the absentee ballot deadline was extended, both for requests as well as for returns. And in a surprise to nobody, the GOP objected. But they lost

https://www.wispolitics.com/2020/ap...ruling-pushing-back-absentee-ballot-deadline/

The deadline for the request, though, was Wednesday.

Can't tell you about the polling locations, though it does not surprise me. My polling location got change from right up the street at the local elementary school to a couple miles away at the closest city high school.

Deadtigers repped this.
  16. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pretty hard to justify this:

17. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I mean this is like the whole point of party politics.

Candidates who are running on financial fumes and doomed to fail can be persuaded to pull out.

That isn't a conspiracy - that is like the whole point. It happens in left parties all round the world in leadership races

if only Bernard had bothered to form strategic alliances with the likes of Liz Warren instead of posting snake emojis at her

superdave, Deadtigers and MatthausSammer repped this.
  18. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    One way it may be decimated is deaths of old people if they don't smarten up

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Because Obama and the DNC told him to:

20. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Contrast:
    [​IMG]

21. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, the phrase “calling a bluff” never made it to Oz.

Are we talking about the same Barack Obama who hasn’t even publicly endorsed the guy who was his VP for eight years?

Man, you are gullible. Speaking of which, did you know that the word “gullible” isn’t in the dictionary?

sitruc repped this.
  22. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

If you had a choice between Trumpcare and 87 million uninsured under Biden, what do you choose?

23. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I said this at the time, so no it's not confirmation bias. It's a fact that the majority of polling data we have for Super Tuesday was under the impression of a six-way race, so when Buttgieg and Amy dropped, we had very little data that reflected that.
    Here's me saying that in early March.
    I'm a Warren supporter. What I want has already gone down the drain, along with the fifteen or so second choice candidates I would've also supported over Joe. Bernie is running a zombie campaign that can't win, and given that you've completely failed to convince me that the vote isn't legitimate, Joe Biden versus Donald Trump is the inevitable matchup. I don't like Biden, but I believe that he is several orders of magnitude superior to Donald Trump as a candidate, therefore I will support him over Trump.

24. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Biden or Sanders? Who would you prefer to go up against Trump?

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could the intention be to lower turnout in cities and swing that Supreme Court race to the GOP?