News: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻: The 2020-2021 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by unclesox, Aug 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    ^ Another match has been added to the fixture list for December:

16 Dec (20h00 local time): Barca v Real Sociedad

This was made possible since our game-in-hand was against one of the other 3 teams that get a bye for the first two rounds of the Copa del Rey.

ShortyMac repped this.
  2. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    the best no.9 on the team:
    [​IMG]

3. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    According to rumors, Messi has told Laporta that he wants to stay at the club.

ShortyMac repped this.
  4. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    good news. lenglet and araujo were able to train today.
    probably won't be ready for UCL on wednesday, but hopefully good to go for Cadiz this weekend.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Few days ago the club did negotiate a salary cut of ~130m. I think they need to cut 50-60m more to be safe.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Elections on Jan 24th.

Laporta confirms he will be running.

7. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Squad for tomorrow: Dest, Busquets, Aleñá, Griezmann, Pjanic, Braithwaite, Dembelé, Riqui Puig, Neto, Lenglet, Pedri, Trincao, Jordi Alba, Matheus Fernandes, De Jong, Junior Firpo, Iñaki Peña, Óscar Migueza, Konrad y Arnau Tenas.

RESTED: Messi, Coutinho & Ter Stegen
    BACK: Lenglet!
    Injured: Araujo, Umtiti (but he will soon play a friendly with Barca B), Roberto, Pique.

No signings in January till after election, and likely need a sale to fund anyways, but Todibo might be returned (not played with Benfica partly due to injury/fitness issue).

ShortyMac, BocaFan and evil_allan repped this.
  8. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Semifinals originally scheduled for January midweek 12-14, Final on Sunday January 17.
    I would think those dates will remain.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Roberto tests positive for covid-19.

So expect him to start this weekend ... :sneaky:

BocaFan repped this.
  10. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Timing is good since he is out injured, has been at home since Nov. 21st, and out about 8 weeks.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Maybe they should make the final of the 2020 Copa del Rey the semifinal of the 2021 supercup. Kill 2 birds with one stone.:coffee:

unclesox repped this.
  12. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was thinking the same thing but guessing the Copa del Rey folks would need to agree and thus would want a cut of TV revenue and so it doesn't happen due to greed. In which case it's a random draw?

Four teams are Real Madrid, Barca as 1st and 2nd in La Liga. Athletic Bilbao and Real Sociedad as Copa finalists (and final was never played).

13. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Well I was slagged off for suggesting we nab Thiago Silva before Chelsea got him - because he was sooooo old - yet he’s transformed their defence.

Sooooo how about in the January window getting Giroud on a one year contract or even a loan till the end of the season ??

He’s scored 4 goals last night away to Seville !

He’s been warned by Deschamps that he has to be playing more if he wants to be part of the French squad for the Euros .

Apparently West Ham have already shown interest ..

Remember he plays really well with Greizman and many say he brings out the very best of Greiz !!

14. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    No.

BocaFan and evil_allan repped this.
  15. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    It’s getting rather tedious now tbf

You never come into this thread but because I’ve posted a suggestion/thought you just had to post a dismissive/ disrespectful comment for a laugh..

16. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    No.

BocaFan and Jpows repped this.
  17. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Ok.

BocaFan repped this.
  18. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Regardless of whether or not we agree with you on your suggestions it's up to the club to make your dreams come true.
    So whether it's Ibrahimovic or Thiago Silva or Giroud or Claudio Bravo or whoever, you should blame the club for not visiting BigSoccer and trying out your suggestions rather than point fingers at people on this forum who have nothing to do with Barcelona player acquisitions.

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I will commend you for changing the tune of "lets just steal everything from Liverpool" plan. I'd say the Thiago Silva suggestion wasn't crazy. Specially on a free transfer. However, are you not exaggerating a bit saying he transformed their defense ? He played 6 out of 10 games so far. Is he really the reason for improvements they might have had so far ?

As for Giroud ... 13 league goals in past 4 years at Chelsea. I mean, knee jerk reaction much ? He worked so well with Griezmann in the WC that he scored 0 goals. But given Braithwaite's record, I guess Giroud would have "fit". Having said that, having a target striker is not really a Barca style as we expect them to be pretty mobile.

20. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    What on Earth are you prattling on about ..

I shared an idea ... that’s all .. it’s a fecking forum after all ..

I’ve no idea why a small minority of you seem hell bent on chasing out fellow Barca fans ... I could perhaps understand it if I was a Real Madrid fan trying to cause trouble.

It doesn’t look great when a few others jump on the bandwagon as well either ... typical playground bully mentality then the weaker ones join in ..

21. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Dude, I wasn’t coming at you like you’re doing to me here.
    I’m just saying if you feel your suggestions would work if people would listen to you then you’re talking to the wrong people.
    No one here on BS signs players.
    Make as many suggestions as you want but don’t expect everyone to agree with them.
    Yes, it’s a freaking forum. People express opinions so if you are able to why shouldn’t others?
    If you can’t handle the replies then perhaps you should have taken your own advice and phuk’d off yesterday like you said you would. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BocaFan, evil_allan and Jpows repped this.
  22. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Imagine suggesting Giroud for a club like Barcelona and being surprised at the lack of enthusiasm about it.

Furthermore, no one ever said that Thiago Silva was a bad player, just that at his age it’s not the direction we want to be going in.

As far as him “transforming” the Chelsea defense. Meh. Like has already been mentioned, he has played 6/7 out of 10 games. One of those games he was terrible, even got subbed out for Giroud at the 73rd minute mark. It’s just still way too early to conclude anything.

Chelsea’s mini revolution shouldn’t be underestimated either. They have better players in almost every position now. That has also definitely contributed to less pressure on the defense.

If you look at Zouma, he also seems to have made strides this year. His defensive stats are better on average than Thiago Silva’s. Last year he had the average Christensen next to him, now that he has a better partner he can show his true qualities.

Do you see why I’d rather go with a simple “no”?

23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Don’t be too hard on yourself ..

24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    #275 TitoTata, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020

We bought fecking Braithwaite so why would you diss Giroud ffs

As for Zouma everyone who’s watched the Chelsea games know it’s Thiago who’s made the difference... he’s also unsurprisingly helped the other younger CBs when they’ve partnered him .. the same thing happens with Liverpool’s VVD

He was only ever gonna be a short term answer for anyone who signed him .

::::.

View attachment 186676

Chelsea are in talks with Thiago Silva’s representatives over extending his contract at Stamford Bridge, claims a report.

The 36-year-old has only been with the Blues for three months, but in that time he has helped transform a struggling defence.

Silva captained PSG to the Champions League final last season, but the French side did not renew his contract. Frank Lampard was quick to identify the Brazilian as a target. He snapped up the former AC Milan man on a 12-month deal, with another 12-month option.

But after six clean sheets in nine games Lampard wants to extend Silva’s time in London.