The 2019 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by POdinCowtown, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the same thing every other sport is facing: Sports are going regional. People are interested in THEIR teams, not everyone else. This is why the NFL model works so well.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Ooh sorry for that.

4. BassNFool

BassNFool Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This flosports of deal of DC United's will really impact the way I follow DC United and MLS... I have decided to not subscribe to flosports. I have already subscribed to ESPN+ which is a much better deal. I will wait the 48 hours between the game and it being on ESPN+. I will not be on BigSoccer or watching other matches until I see the United game (they tend to give away scores of other games). MLS, ESPN, Foxsports, unimas and Twitter will all lose out because they have allowed DC and other clubs to go this route. I'm sure I will end up watching less MLS. I will not be going to MLSSoccer.com or DCunited.com util I have seen the game... damn this is frustrating. The exception to this will be when United games are nationally broadcast.

5. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC is hoping more of the cord cutters will subscribe to offset people like you. It's really that simple. I have no idea if they are correct.

6. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Sunday LAFC vs Portland FS1 7:30 221k

Sunday Atlanta vs Cincinnati ESPN 5:06pm 354k

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  7. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    ESPN/ESPN2 season to date:

Week 1:
    DC-Atlanta 394k
    LAFC-SKC 361k

Week 2:
    ATl-Cincy 354k

ESPN season average 369.7k

Kev_K, AZUL GALAXY and eddygee repped this.
  8. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Fox/FS1 season to date

Week 1:
    Seattle-Cincy 199k
    LAG-Chi 174k

Week 2:
    LAFC-Por 221k

Fox/FS1 season average: 198k

Overall season average: 283.8k

eddygee repped this.
  9. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #109 eddygee, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    I'm back lets track these ratings!

MLS TV 2018 TV Ratings

ESPN Networks FOX Networks Univision Networks

Week 1

OCSC v NYCFC 355K UNI March 2 Sat 230pm
    LAG v CHI 174K FS1 March 2 Sat 8pm
    SEA v FC Cinci 199k FS1 March 2 Sat 10pm
    DCU v ATL UTD 394K ESPN Mar 3 Sun 6pm
    LAFC v SKC 361K ESPN Mar 3 Sun 830pm

Week2

FCD V LAG ??? UNI Mar 9 Sat 330pm
    ATL v FC Cinci 354K ESPN Mar 10 Sun 500pm
    LAFC v POR 221K FS1 Mar 10 Sat 730pm

Total Network Average 307.6k
    Average ESPN Networks 369.7k
    Average Fox Networks 198k
    Average Univision Networks 355k

All ratings are sourced from the below sites
    http://www.showbuzzdaily.com (Search MLS or Major League Soccer)

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/?s=MLS
    http://worldsoccertalk.com/category/tv-ratings/

10. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Just for the record, I take all of World Soccer Talk’s Debbie Downer concern trolling interpretations of MLS viewing numbers with a grain of salt. Yes, the opening numbers were down in comparison to last season, but World Soccer Talk Debbie Downed those numbers from last season at the time by pointing towards a big lead-in. Were the numbers less than we hoped? Yes, but I want to see where these numbers stand at mid-season rather than a handful of numbers of early season numbers.

Kejsare repped this.
  11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    World Soccer Talk hates MLS. This has been confirmed many times. They will jump onto any bad news.

12. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    It’s not merely that they jump on bad news, but it is the extent in which they overstate the “bad news” that constitutes concern trolling. If MLS shitted gold bricks they would say that MLS’s bowel movements were unnaturally valuable.

Kejsare and eddygee repped this.
  13. sephjnr

sephjnr Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Bristol, England
    Club:
    Bristol City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know I only come here once every 2-3 years to post on this topic (roll eyes at will), but does anyone know when the Sky deal runs out? It'd be interesting to know as we can't get ESPN+ at all over here so there's no chance of seeing games on-demand right now, and TFC aren't on until next month. Keep the "VPN lol" answers out of it, I'd actually like to contribute without cheating.

14. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Everything I read says the Sky Sports deal should be over. It started in early 2015 and was supposed to run for four years. I don't see anything about renewals or a new deal.

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Related side note: Has the Nielsen technology evolved such that we consider these ratings proportionally accurate?

16. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #116 eddygee, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    This has been my biggest gripe with them. If it wasn't obvious it became obvious last season that they were just involved in propaganda. The Pro/Rel &EuroSnob forces formed a disinformation campaign. It's not even about presenting opinion pieces they done even bother telling the truth. For them it's more about convincing people by misrepresenting data/LYING and presenting it as fact to get the masses to join their campaign. They've evenb went the route of calling established sports media companies like Sports Business Daily out as fudging MLS numbers. The don't believe their numbers trust ours LMAO.

I got tired of seeing there junk on r/MLS. I called them on their MLS on has a 6% of soccer viewers cause for concern article on Reddit. I pointed out line for line how blatantly they misrepresented Data and how the data told a different story but they chose to tell the complete opposite. Now r/MLS mods delete most of their article published. They consider it troll material. I'm just shocked they were allowed to get away with it for so long. IMHO the only worthwhile person there of any integrity is Kartik Krishnayer. They just exist to pump out propaganda pieces so Pro/Rel zealots and anti MLS ilk to spread on Twitter to drive a Anti-MLS narrative.

It makes it hard because you are stuck in a place of feeling like you are stuck in a place where you kinda don't want to come off as always defending MLS. MLS isn't perfect but the good its done for soccer in North America far out exceeds any faults. It should be seen as a badge of honor for MLS as it enemies have kicked in to over drive the last few yrs as the league approaches the point of "no return" when it will have officially made it into the BIG 5. This is the last death rattle for those folks remember that.

Attached Files:

Kejsare and RfrancisR repped this.
  17. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This cracked me up
    WST BS.PNG

sitruc and RfrancisR repped this.
  18. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    This "executives at MLS" conspiracy is soooooo prevalent on Twitter. It's treated as absolute truth. MLS runs the world.

RfrancisR, Kejsare, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  19. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude have you been to the USMNT News and Analysis board? Literally everything wrong is due to the vast MLS/SUM conspiracy. Don Garber apparently pulls all the strings. It's so crazy.

RfrancisR, Kejsare, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  20. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yup that place also sucks.

21. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WST has become the absolute drizzling shits

sitruc and eddygee repped this.
  22. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #122 eddygee, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    Lol @ "MLS TV ratings last season were up only because of (1) Univision's numbers that grew by 16%.

That is effing rich. Ehhh my man Silvio! What's a 16% increase in TV ratings amongst friends? :ROFLMAO:

I'm convinced WST talk is going with the broken clock routine, keep touting MLS is failing at the beginning of every season and point to TV ratings. They've been doing so going back 3-4 yrs now. Eventually MLS will snap its streak of 6 straight seasons and counting of TV ratings growth. Then WST will tell us how right they were all along.

RfrancisR, Kejsare and sitruc repped this.
  23. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Don Garber runs the Deep State, dintcha know?

sitruc and eddygee repped this.
  24. eddygee

eddygee Member+

DC United
    May 12, 2007
    Moco, Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Play along and tell them MLS/SUM is like the mafia with racketeering they get a cut of everything going.

sitruc and Dirt McGirt repped this.
  25. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    Soooo... why do you guys still give clicks to WST?

I will never understand how/why any business will try to isolate a part of their customer base.

sitruc repped this.