The 2019 MLS TV thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by POdinCowtown, Dec 19, 2018.

1. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    The service is not even close to having parity with DirecTV with DVR. It costs 2x less but DirecTV offer more than a 2x better experience.

2. flange

flange Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had Youtube TV for about 7 months now. I had Frontier FIOS before that. YTV has been fantastic. Frontier was overkill for me. YTV costs less and is far more convenient. The fine print for me is that my HOA includes a 100/100 fiber internet connection with no data cap, so streaming works great and I only needed to fill in the cable TV gap. Obviously my solution isn't going to work for everyone, but I'm glad I have the option.

3. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I don't see any use case in which YouTube TV is good enough until they let you use your unlimited DVR as an actual DVR, including fast forward. I've read that they are slowly rolling that out on more channels, but I am sure it will never reach 100%. And there are some things I genuinely don't know, such as - do they let you pause live TV? That's super important.

And even if they fix all that, it's still not an option because Spectrum Sportsnet will never be offered, and they have all the Lakers and Galaxy games - in other words about 80% of everything I watch. Yes I realize that I am basically paying $100/month more just for Lakers and Galaxy, but honestly I don't even need TV service without those two.

4. flange

flange Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't use the DVR feature a lot, but I can fast forward through commercials just fine. It does 15 second skips forward and, if I don't skip too fast, includes a preview so I can tell when the commercials end.

The other thing I like about it (and the YTV service overall) is that I can watch it anywhere I have internet on every device I use. Frontier had an Android app, but it was pathetic in comparison. I've tried the AT&T and Comcast apps and they were more like Frontier (crappy) than Youtube TV.

I only use Cable for live sports and CNN. I added ESPN+ and I'm golden. The channel selection is definitely limited and won't meet everyone's needs, though.

Yes.

I get it. If you need a niche cable network and they don't have it, then it's not going to work for you, no matter the price or experience.

The one real knock I have against YTV is that they don't support 5.1 audio yet. They bumped the streaming resolution to 1080P from 720P recently, which was nice. Overall, though, the price and experience I've had with it is far better than I had with Frontier or Comcast. It would take a major shift for me to switch back.

5. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I didn't have to bend over for comcast internet, I'd be all over YouTube tv. It seems, based on playing around with friends who have it and sling, that YouTube is far and away the best streaming bundle out there at least technology wise.
    I can't wait for 5g to be what its billed to.be so I can ditch comcast for good!

6. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    What I was referring to when talking about DVR is that YoutubeTV replaces your recorded programs with on-demand versions, and you can't FF or RW with those. People complained about that, and YouTube is making new deals with some networks to let people get true DVR functionality. However, since it's dependent on individual deals they will never let you get full DVR functionality with their full complement of channels. DirecTV has the same issue with streaming from your DVR via their app.

mbar repped this.
  7. flange

flange Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The shows I DVR must not be part of this. I've never run into this problem.

8. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on when you watch - same day they usually don't have the VOD versions up - those need to come from the content distributors. It usually takes 24 hours for the pitch to go out over satellite - a bit less for terrestrial broadband or fiber - and it then needs to get distributed out to the Edge CDN (no matter what platform).

James

9. flange

flange Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That could be it. Like I said, I only use it for sports and news. If I don't watch within 24 hours, it's not getting watched.

10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The only networks that still have this restriction on YouTube TV are CBS network, CBS Sports Network, and the CW. While it is true that the deals with the other channels could change for now I have full DVR functionality on the vast majority of the things that I record.

crookeddy repped this.
  11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Good news. I'd love to give it a shot, but Time Warner Cable foresaw this, and signed the Lakers and Galaxy to an exclusive contract with their stupid RSN. I actually watch a lot of those CW superhero shows, but I can live with waiting for Netflix for them.

12. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would annoy the hell out of me. I had no idea that YTV did that. That's one of those things you don't even think about and is an unpleasant surprise when you sign up.

I've had Directv for maybe 20 year now. It used to be both the best and the cheapest. Then it transitioned to just being the best experience (not so much the cheapest). Now, since AT&T acquired it, it's not really so great anymore. But I keep it primarily for the ridiculous amounts of sports I watch and I've yet to find another option that is a reasonable alternative.

13. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yeah as a Galaxy or Lakers or Dodgers fan you really don't have any options but to stick with traditional providers. In fact if you're a Dodgers fan you literally have only one choice...

14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Is there one place that has the breakdown of how often each team is on national TV for each year?

Thanks in advance.

15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Crew have reached a deal with Fox Sports Ohio for distribution. FSO has 2 versions, one is Cincinnati centric and the other Cleveland centric. We'll definitely be on the Cleveland version this summer (since SportsTimeOhio has the Indians) but not sure yet about Cincinnati, which carries the Reds.

sitruc repped this.
  16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Namrog The Just repped this.
  17. Frankball

Frankball Member+

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Check out @thegoalkeeper’s Tweet:

EvanJ repped this.
  18. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    What does he mean by the domestic season starts tomorrow? Who is playing official matches already?

ceezmad repped this.
  19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #69 Paul Berry, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    CONCAFFEINE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

upload_2019-2-19_9-5-38.png

EvanJ repped this.
  20. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CCL isn't domestic soccer season, tho.. That's an international competition.. The domestic soccer season starts in 2 weekends..

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't let facts get in the way of 'click baitiness'.

flange repped this.
  22. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the thread we use to discuss ESPN+ and the MLS app? I just saw the MLSsoccer announcement about ESPN+ and MLS app. I interpreted it as the ESPN+ app will only replay full games that were originally broadcast on ESPN. The MLS app (I guess thaT replaces MLSLive?) will have all condensed games for free. Any thoughts on this year’s format? My feelings are:
    • It seems like ESPN+ could get frustrating to use, because I don’t really store in my brain which game is on which network.
    • I stopped watching condensed games last season because they were too condensed — it seemed like they were really more like 10 mins of highlights and filler. But I stopped watching pretty early in the season, so I might be wrong. Anyone know what kind of format the MLS condensations will be like?

23. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All matches not broadcast on FS1/Fox/Univision/Twitter/Woof will be replayed on ESPN+ (48 hours later in some cases).

MLS will have condensed matches on their app.

James

24. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    [​IMG]

Chivas and Club America remain the most popular teams in the US.

25. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States